Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2023, 02:28 AM   #1
amagumo
amagumo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Constant Freezing

Greetings good people. I'm an unfortunate owner of T1 device and I already know about the known issue of random freezing. All I wanted to ask is, is it possible to upgrade the firmware to latest, today.? Curren firmware is 11130. When I try to upgrade it via official updater tool, the process gives the error at the end. How can I fix this issue? Thanks very much.
amagumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 04:31 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagumo View Post
Greetings good people. I'm an unfortunate owner of T1 device and I already know about the known issue of random freezing. All I wanted to ask is, is it possible to upgrade the firmware to latest, today.? Curren firmware is 11130. When I try to upgrade it via official updater tool, the process gives the error at the end. How can I fix this issue? Thanks very much.
One of the reasons for freezing is when you try to load hi-res graphics. The screen is only 800x600. There is not enough working memory to handle hi-res graphics properly. So you get freezing and maybe lock-ups. It really is time to replace the T1.

The reason you are having trouble finding any newer firmware is that the T1 has been long discontinued and Sony has long since gotten out of the Reader business. TBH, a newer firmware isn't going to help. The solution is to buy another Reader such as a Kobo Libra 2.

I have a T1 (sits unused in a closet) and I did move on from it to a Kobo Aura H2O. The T1 was becoming not all that useful with new eBooks that have hi-res graphics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2023, 05:59 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I've got the update file for the newest American firmware, 1.0.07.05070. I'm guessing you're not using a North American T1?

Have you checked this page yet?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST1_Firmware_Upgrade
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:37 AM   #4
amagumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One of the reasons for freezing is when you try to load hi-res graphics. The screen is only 800x600. There is not enough working memory to handle hi-res graphics properly. So you get freezing and maybe lock-ups. It really is time to replace the T1.

The reason you are having trouble finding any newer firmware is that the T1 has been long discontinued and Sony has long since gotten out of the Reader business. TBH, a newer firmware isn't going to help. The solution is to buy another Reader such as a Kobo Libra 2.

I have a T1 (sits unused in a closet) and I did move on from it to a Kobo Aura H2O. The T1 was becoming not all that useful with new eBooks that have hi-res graphics.
Thank you for your reply. Just one question, is Kindle PW Gen 7 a good option too?

Temo
Old 05-25-2023, 06:39 AM   #5
amagumo

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've got the update file for the newest American firmware, 1.0.07.05070. I'm guessing you're not using a North American T1?

Have you checked this page yet?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST1_Firmware_Upgrade
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did everything imaginable, even patched recovery package from PC and also from Sd card. Nothing works. I should throw it against a wall I guess.

Temo
Advert
Old 05-25-2023, 06:45 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Just one question, is Kindle PW Gen 7 a good option too?
What country are you in and what features are you looking for?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:49 AM   #7
amagumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm in Eastern Europe. Light that is easy on eyes and reasonably quick. No waterproofing and stuff. No freezes and >6 screen is a bonus.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:37 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm in Eastern Europe. Light that is easy on eyes and reasonably quick. No waterproofing and stuff. No freezes and >6 screen is a bonus.
Most modern Kindles or Kobos should suit you fine if these are your only requirements. If you were wanting tight Caibre integration, library borrowing, audiobook sync or something else, that might lean you in a certain direction or other.

I prefer Kobo and love my Libra 2, but your needs are few, choose whatever you like. There are also the various Android based devices, but I've no experience with those, sorry.

Last edited by meeera; 05-25-2023 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:18 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Temo
Not really given that the T1 uses ePub and Kindle doesn't use ePub. I do think Kobo is a good choice to go to from the T1. Plus, Kindles are not as good as the T1 with Calibre and Kobos are even better then the T1 with Calibre.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:51 PM   #10
amagumo

Quote:
Quote:
Not really given that the T1 uses ePub and Kindle doesn't use ePub. I do think Kobo is a good choice to go to from the T1. Plus, Kindles are not as good as the T1 with Calibre and Kobos are even better then the T1 with Calibre.
Yes, Calibre is a monster of a software. Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:45 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, Calibre is a monster of a software. Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Bear in mind that JSWolf will always, always recommend a Kobo, regardless of your needs and wants. You might do better to start a thread in the What Should I Buy? forum if you need advice. Be clear on your essential and desirable criteria and your budget.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:29 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The PRS-T1 can also freeze if you access the dictionary or tap on a word. I took it back.
I've a PRS-350 and a PRS-T2 and they are both fine.

JSWolf always recommends Windows 10 and Kobos. However I've had or have 8 makes of ereader I and I've found Kobo best.

Calibre isn't that much of a beast of a program. The last version for XP was fine on my April 2002 Laptop, which I used till November 2016. XP was only re-installed once and that was June 2002. I then used Windows 7 for a while before going to Linux in 2017.

Nothing else does Collections and Series so well. The Kindles became awkward for Collections and unless Jailbroken now don't do Collections by Calibre. They only do Series as per Amazon sold ebook. Kindle becomes a tighter walled garden each year.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:01 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Bear in mind that JSWolf will always, always recommend a Kobo, regardless of your needs and wants. You might do better to start a thread in the What Should I Buy? forum if you need advice. Be clear on your essential and desirable criteria and your budget.
I had Sony Readers including the T1 and I have Kobos and Kindles. Being able to manage collections on the T1 from Calibre and then going to a Kindle where you can't do that is (IMHO) a step backwards. That's why I'm recommending a Kobo.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:55 AM   #14
Prince Valiant
Prince Valiant began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350/650/300
If you can update to 1.0.04.12210 you might try that. It didn't fix all the issues I had with my T1 but it became usable with caution. It can't access the dictionary after it enters sleep, go through menus too quickly, highlight a word, or use the image viewer.

If the update isn't available, doesn't help, or you don't want to mess with it, you could try and get a PRS-350 or 650 for cheap. I'm not sure how availability is outside the US though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The PRS-T1 can also freeze if you access the dictionary or tap on a word. I took it back.
I've a PRS-350 and a PRS-T2 and they are both fine.
I had a T1 with the dictionary freeze and more. After getting a 350 and 650 I gave the T1 to a relative and told them about the problems.
Prince Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:20 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
If the update isn't available, doesn't help, or you don't want to mess with it, you could try and get a PRS-350 or 650 for cheap. I'm not sure how availability is outside the US though.

I had a T1 with the dictionary freeze and more. After getting a 350 and 650 I gave the T1 to a relative and told them about the problems.
I recently got a Sony PRS-T2 cheap. Far better than the T1. Works reliably and the SD Card slot for expansion (32G works) is behind a rear door. A young grandchild will get it this summer. I'll keep the now unique PRS-350.
Of course the WiFi on it is now useless for anything, though if can connect to WPA2 Airpoint. Out of date certs, so no HTTPS. Cute buttons. Better than any Kindle if used with USB & Calibre.

However a Kobo Sage seems now the best all round "portable" ereader. The 10″ & larger from anyone are too heavy and expensive.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote