Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2023, 04:00 PM   #1
finalgirlfall
finalgirlfall began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10
Exclamation ERROR: error communicating with the device

hi, so:

i have a kindle fire hd 10, 7th generation. i'm trying to import books (pdf and mobi) to it using calibre's send to device function and a usb cable. i keep getting an "error communicating with the device." i ran cmd.exe > calibre-debug -g and it spat this out:

Code:
calibre 6.17  embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.22621-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.22621')
Python 3.10.1
Windows: ('10', '10.0.22621', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (7, 2, 1)
QPA platform: windows
devicePixelRatio: 1.25
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 113.41395348837209 x 113.12164948453608
ApplicationPaletteChange event ignored
Using calibre Qt style: True
ApplicationPaletteChange event received
i've also tried restarting my laptop, and booting it into safe mode, neither of which has helped. advice appreciated!!!

edit: oh! and the "error communicating with device" details say this:

Code:
calibre, version 6.17.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_enumeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 104, in run
  File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 636, in _upload_books
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 433, in upload_books
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 409, in ensure_parent
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 35, in check_thread
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 409, in create_folder
wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_enumeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error

Last edited by finalgirlfall; 05-03-2023 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added details re: error
finalgirlfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:48 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One quick question. When you connect your Fire HD to your computer without calibre running, do you see the storage on the device mounted in File Explorer. If that does not happen, calibre will not see the storage either.

Other item is that you are using an old version of DeDRM tools. See NoDRM's github repository for the latest version.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2023, 10:42 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is an error communicating with the device. Usually, this kind of error can be fixed by
following the steps below in sequence. First:

1) Try rebooting both the device and your computer
2) If that does not work, find the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre on the device
and delete them (you can use Windows Explorer or a file manager on the device itself to do this)
3) Reset the device

If none of those work, you can use one of the wireless communication methods described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 11:17 PM   #4
finalgirlfall

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One quick question. When you connect your Fire HD to your computer without calibre running, do you see the storage on the device mounted in File Explorer. If that does not happen, calibre will not see the storage either.

Other item is that you are using an old version of DeDRM tools. See NoDRM's github repository for the latest version.
when i connect my Fire HD to my computer without calibre running, i do see the storage on the device mounted in file explorer--i make sure to connect it as a media device (< kindle particularity...).

eta: also, i'll update deDRM tomorrow. thank you! <3

Last edited by finalgirlfall; 05-03-2023 at 11:17 PM. Reason: forgot to address part of their question
Old 05-04-2023, 01:27 AM   #5
finalgirlfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalgirlfall View Post
when i connect my Fire HD to my computer without calibre running, i do see the storage on the device mounted in file explorer--i make sure to connect it as a media device (< kindle particularity...).

eta: also, i'll update deDRM tomorrow. thank you! <3
i was unable to update deDRM. when i tried to load the plugin from the zip file, there was apparently no __init__.py file. (see also--perhaps related--this pull request from github
here.)

i'm running windows 11, by the way--i neglected to mention that in my initial post.
Advert
Old 05-04-2023, 05:14 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
i was unable to update deDRM. when i tried to load the plugin from the zip file, there was apparently no __init__.py file. (see also--perhaps related--this pull request from github
here.)

i'm running windows 11, by the way--i neglected to mention that in my initial post.
The .zip file downloaded from github has two .zip files inside it. Those are what you need to install in calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:41 AM   #7
finalgirlfall

Quote:
The .zip file downloaded from github has two .zip files inside it. Those are what you need to install in calibre.
ok, so i'm sure i'll feel very silly once you really explain how to do it--but i really can't figure out how to install the DeDRM plugin from github! and ultimately i don't think DeDRM is the biggest problem--it looks from the output generated by calibre when it can't communicate with my kindle like it's an issue with some driver, and i'm not sure what to do about that! output reproduced below:

Code:
calibre, version 6.17.0

C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_enumeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error

wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_enumeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error
Old 05-05-2023, 08:54 AM   #8
finalgirlfall

Smile

Quote:
also, the DeDRM issue isn't currently terribly relevant--i uninstalled the old, outdated plugin when you informed me that it was outdated, and so for now the primary issue is the error communicating with the device.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:42 AM   #9
Ghostcat
Enthusiast
Ghostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the husk

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
What happens if you try "Preferences->Miscellaneous->Debug device detection"?
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 10:37 AM   #10
finalgirlfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostcat View Post
What happens if you try "Preferences->Miscellaneous->Debug device detection"?
it says,
calibre, version 6.17.0
ERROR: Device already detected: A device (Fire) is already detected by calibre. If you wish to debug the detection of another device, first disconnect this device.
Old 05-07-2023, 10:58 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Those have nothing to do with DRM. (that just stops you from opening the book)

That is a file system error. Did you follow the instructions from Kovid?
A rogue A/V can block things. Defender just works with Calibre.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:57 AM   #12
finalgirlfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Those have nothing to do with DRM. (that just stops you from opening the book)

That is a file system error. Did you follow the instructions from Kovid?
A rogue A/V can block things. Defender just works with Calibre.
re: DRM--i know, i know!!

yes, i followed Kovid's instructions. i got the same error each time:

Code:
calibre, version 6.17.0

what's "a rogue A/V"? (i am not very knowledgeable about tech terms...)
Old 05-08-2023, 09:01 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
kindle fire hd 10
Please do not call it a Kindle Fire. Amazon stopped using the name Kindle with their tablets because there was too much confusion with Kindle Readers both using the name Kindle.

Amazon calls them Fire HD 10 tablet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:06 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
what's "a rogue A/V"? (i am not very knowledgeable about tech terms...)
A Rogue A/V is an anti-virus program that thinks what you are doing is dangerous and blocks it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-16-2023 at 02:51 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:21 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A Rogue A/V is an anti-virus program that thinks what you are doing is dangerous and blocks it. What AV are you using? Also, try turning off your AV and see what works.

Another thing to try is to reboot into safe mode and try there are nothing you run on startup will be running (aka not in the way).
Yet again you demonstrate your failure to read what people post, the OP states quite clearly in the opening post that they tried safe mode.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote