Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-22-2023, 09:22 PM   #1
Chocaute
Chocaute began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Exclamation Linux installation script don't install dependencies (on Debian)

Greetings,

I've been trying to make the linux installation script work for the past two hours, to no avail.

For context, my host is a headless debian LXC, a kind of lightweight virtual machine. Nonetheless, per the Note, the GLIBC and libstdc++ requirements seems to be met.

Just to be on the safe side, I've installed everything the Note asked I didn't had already : xdg-utils xz-utils libxcb-xinerama0 libegl1 libopengl0.

After running the script, I'm invariably met with this:
Code:
Failed to import PyQt module: PyQt6.QtWebEngineCore with error: libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
And this:

Code:
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command 'xdg-desktop-menu install --noupdate ./calibre-gui.desktop' returned non-zero exit status 3.
But I've managed to fix it by installing libnss3. That wasn't covered in the Note.

As for the other issue, creating a new directory "/usr/share/desktop-directories/" does the trick. Why does it work? No idea, and the folks at StackOverflow don't know either.

But it's not even important, because after completing the installation without error and launching calibre I now have this :

Code:
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Which sent me onto another dependencies hunt. Fortunately, I've managed to remind myself that I shouldn't need to do this, and should instead complain.

Thing is, I'm getting the same error installing Calibre through aptitude.

You know what? I'm sorry. I just needed to vent. I'm tired, going to bed, and will try another software tomorow.
Chocaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:37 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You know what, if you want to use linux, spend some time to learn about it first. And if you want to use containers, beat yourself over the head with a baseball bat first instead, it will be more useful. Please dont let the door hit you on the way out.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2023, 10:02 AM   #3
Chocaute
Chocaute began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You know what, if you want to use linux, spend some time to learn about it first. And if you want to use containers, beat yourself over the head with a baseball bat first instead, it will be more useful. Please dont let the door hit you on the way out.
Alright, I'll bite. What did I miss?
Chocaute is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation linux bug