Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2023, 06:06 AM   #1
superpomme
Enthusiast
superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kobo touch, k3, k4, Nook Simple touch
This device is not authorised as a test kindle

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me. I got a k4 set up with the jailbreak, mkk, usb networking, kual, and python3, and I set it to auto load ssh on boot.

Everything was working fine and then I tried to get it to connect to wifi, but it was refusing. I went into usb networking and set it to use a unique mac, and the wifi then connected, however now it is refusing to load kual stating "This device is not authorised as a test kindle"

I tried a reboot, a hard reboot, a reinstall of the jailbreak, reinstall of mkk but it is still doing the same.

k4 silver, with the version showing 4.1.4. Note that this isn't registered - is that needed?

I do still have ssh access to it - is there any way to get kual working again?

Thank you

Last edited by superpomme; 03-24-2023 at 06:15 AM.
superpomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:03 AM   #2
superpomme
Enthusiast
superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!superpomme rocks like Gibraltar!

Sorry - I got it working!

For the record, I was being dumb, and left the wifi on, so each time I reinstalled mkk, it then updated and blocked it.

Turned off wifi
installed mkk again
helper+ -> "prevent OTA updates"

(I had clicked the prevent ota earlier, but while in usbnetworking mode so it hadn't installed)

Thanks. Can I mark this thread resolved?
Advert
Old 03-24-2023, 08:17 AM   #3
superpomme
Enthusiast

really sorry to spam this post, but that only seems to fix it for a while and then it blocks it again. Is there something I'm missing here? I have other ones that are working fine on wifi without getting blocked.

Thanks

-> I tried blocking the kindle wan access, but doing so looks to then block the device from working over wifi too. I note that the kindles that aren't giving me these issues are on 4.1.1 while the ones that are blocking me look to be on 4.1.4 - would this explain the disparity?

-> for future reference - I used Kubrick which worked perfectly, and was able to downgrade to 4.1.1 which doesn't have the same issue. All working great now.

Last edited by superpomme; 03-28-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:06 PM   #4
mattcd216
Enthusiast
mattcd216 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 D01100
Any luck with this? Same for me - keep trying mkk install, but every time wifi turns on I get the error message when trying to use kual.

matt
mattcd216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 06:54 AM   #5
superpomme
Enthusiast

sorry, didn't see your reply. Yea the fix was to downgrade the kindle firmware using Kubrick
Advert
Old 07-10-2023, 06:23 PM   #6
tubular
tubular began at the beginning.

Device: K4
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpomme View Post
sorry, didn't see your reply. Yea the fix was to downgrade the kindle firmware using Kubrick
Hello, may I ask you how you used Kubrick exactly?
I was unable to boot Kubrick using a USB flash drive. I had more succes in a virtual machine, but now I am stuck at "Putting device into Fastboot mode ... Waiting for device".

screenshot

I have exactly the same model and my device is also on the 4.1.4 firmware. I am unable to install KUAL because of the "This device is not authorized as a test Kindle by the developer of this item" error.
tubular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 06:49 PM   #7
tubular

Edit: I managed to install KUAL. The trick was indeed to put the Kindle in airplane mode before reinstalling MKK. Thanks a lot for describing your solution, superpomme.

I am still interested in a downgrade to 4.1.1 however, because you indicated this is only a temporary fix.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:35 AM   #8
tubular

It turns out that was only a temporary fix indeed. The "This device is not authorized as a test Kindle by the developer of this item" error resurfaced.

I don't know yet if it solves this issue, but finally I did manage to downgrade the firmware to 4.1.1 using Kubrick. On recent systems, the live USB just refused to boot. Even a 2015 laptop didn't work. However, it worked flawlessly on a 2010 ThinkPad (the T410s).