Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-17-2023, 07:23 AM   #1
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Margins in fixed layout epub

Hello there,

I recently bought an epub that, I think, turned out to be a fixed size epub.
It's an epub file alright, I can open it in calibre book editor and select text and stuff.

Once once my kobo tho, it behaves like a PDF: I can only do manual zooming, I can't edit the font, change size, or anything.

Unfortunately, the fixed layout include HUGE margins that makes the text much smaller than I'd like too. Is there a simple way to remove the fixed layout it, or at least a way to reduce the margins myself ?

Thanks !
Simboubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
There is no easy way to do that on a fixed layout epub. Every character and image has a fixed location. Converting a fixed layout epub to reflowable is not an easy task and, IMHO, from the two times I've attempted to do so is not worth the effort since it totally trashed the page layout.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2023, 11:16 AM   #3
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Usually, the contents of fixed-layout books is in the logical reading order. In that case, you can use the usual PDF methods of converting the text into flowing layout.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:40 AM   #4
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks you for your answers.

I checked the html code and indeed, every single page has its own single css file and everything is at a fixed position.

Gettting a reflowable text will be too hard. Now I'm only trying to figure out a hack to get a "cropped" version? Is there a tool to convert the fixed-layout epub to a pdf ? So that I can then use a pdf cropping tool.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:01 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Try exporting from Calibre as docx or rtf?
Or if you have a desktop viewer that can print and display FXL epub, then print to PDF.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2023, 04:30 PM   #6
Simboubou
Connoisseur

I tried, but the conversion / print to pdf seems lost in an infinite loop.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:37 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
fixed layout epubs are not supported in calibre so you are not going to get anything useful from it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 03:22 AM   #8
Simboubou
Connoisseur

Ah, ok

The ebook viewer and ebook editor do seem to display it correctly (altho the viewer can't reduce the viewport size), so I was hoping one of them could somehow dump it to pdf or even images.

Well then, I'll try to hunt down a physical version

Thanks !
Old 01-19-2023, 03:42 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You tried Print from the viewer? That simply makes a PDF file with my ebooks (Linux) with Calibre Viewer, but I have no FXL epubs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:30 AM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You tried Print from the viewer? That simply makes a PDF file with my ebooks (Linux) with Calibre Viewer, but I have no FXL epubs.
I tried that once. Went poorly.

AZARDI is what I use for fixed-layout epubs on Windows, but its not seen updates in several years.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:01 AM   #11
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
FWIW, I would try opening the file on Calibre Editor (a backup of the original EPUB, of course), and removing all .css files. Save. See how it looks on the reader. Afterwards maybe create a new minimal CSS stylesheet file with rules for general elements like <p> and perhaps <div>...
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:52 AM   #12
Simboubou
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
FWIW, I would try opening the file on Calibre Editor (a backup of the original EPUB, of course), and removing all .css files. Save. See how it looks on the reader. Afterwards maybe create a new minimal CSS stylesheet file with rules for general elements like <p> and perhaps <div>...
I could try, but the book is written in japanese with furigana (i.e. small kana characters written over the Kanji to indicate how it's read).
I'm fairly sure that removing all the css files would just break all furigana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I tried. The conversion gets stuck at some point. Or maybe it just takes 4 hours.