Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
mokeiko
Enthusiast
mokeiko has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX | PRS-900 | PRS-950 | DPT-S1 | Kindle Oasis
Can you share ebooks between 2 devices in same household?

Hi everyone,

I just ordered two PRS-700's, one for me and another for my wife. When I purchase an ebook using the Sony ebook software library, is it possible to copy the same ebook between the two devices or will we have to purchase our own separately on separate PC's? By the way, we each have our own laptop pc's, would it be better to have one of them as the main pc to purchase the ebooks? Thanks for any help.

mokeiko
mokeiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can have up to 6 devices registered to the same Sony account - a device is either a Reader or a PC. All devices registered to the same account can share the same books.

It makes life a little easier if you use a common PC to purchase books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can have up to 6 devices registered to the same Sony account - a device is either a Reader or a PC. All devices registered to the same account can share the same books.

It makes life a little easier if you use a common PC to purchase books.
My mom and I have separate accounts. Can we register each other's devices on each other's accounts?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
No. The account is the common factor. One account: six devices.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
No. The account is the common factor. One account: six devices.
Oh damn it all to hell.
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Oh damn it all to hell.
why don't you unregister one of the devices from one of the accounts, and re-register it to the other account ? then both would be on the same account and that seems like the end result you want.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Oh damn it all to hell.
...and a specific device can only be registered to one account. Otherwise, I think every PRS owner on MobileRead would belong to a circular daisy-chain of accounts.

Zelda's advice is good. It frequently is.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
why don't you unregister one of the devices from one of the accounts, and re-register it to the other account ? then both would be on the same account and that seems like the end result you want.
Meh, the pros outweigh the cons. My mom and I don't really read the same books. It would only be for one or two, and if we have it on the same account it'd have to go on one CC and that'll be a pain in my butt.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Meh, the pros outweigh the cons. My mom and I don't really read the same books. It would only be for one or two, and if we have it on the same account it'd have to go on one CC and that'll be a pain in my butt.
ha okay. well, you could probably find another way to share the one or two books then, if that's all it is...
Old 12-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
ha okay. well, you could probably find another way to share the one or two books then, if that's all it is...
Heh, just make my mom buy them herself
Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Heh, just make my mom buy them herself
that's one way, yes.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
that's one way, yes.
Well it is fair enough I bought her Reader.

Oh wait, and she bought mine. D'oh!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You can of course change the credit card info each time you purchase. But, it is a pain. I think everyone should write to Sony and suggest, nee, insist that they support multiple credit cards on an account.

BOb

PS: Of course the other option is to NOT buy from Sony. But, LIT or Mobi from fictionwise or Bob, remove DRM and convert with calibre.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You can of course change the credit card info each time you purchase. But, it is a pain. I think everyone should write to Sony and suggest, nee, insist that they support multiple credit cards on an account.

BOb

PS: Of course the other option is to NOT buy from Sony. But, LIT or Mobi from fictionwise or Bob, remove DRM and convert with calibre.
I actually like that I don't even have to click any card to buy. It always drives me crazy when I buy anything on amazon.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I actually like that I don't even have to click any card to buy. It always drives me crazy when I buy anything on amazon.
You could still set up a default card of course.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote