Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2022, 02:48 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
What is 4.34's font list?

In the Kobo Utilities thread, I posted a patch that adds the new Rakuten fonts to the 'set font' dialog.

However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I've had another look. I don't see anything which would cause serious errors.

However, FYI, the new "font list" you added for fw 4.34.20097, in dialogs.py, isn't really correct. In this fw Kobo have removed all the font files for 'Caecilia', 'Gill Sans' and 'Malabar'. In addition, the 'Rockwell' font files were removed *many* years ago.
I'm on 4.35, and Caecila, Gill Sans, and Malabar are still present for me - they're in the dropdown list and still work when selected. (Rockwell was an error on my part.) Perhaps it's possible that the font files actually hadn't been deleted from my device and are treated as sideloaded.

Can anybody else confirm what 4.34's font list is?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 02:58 PM   #2
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
In the Kobo Utilities thread, I posted a patch that adds the new Rakuten fonts to the 'set font' dialog.

However:

I'm on 4.35, and Caecila, Gill Sans, and Malabar are still present for me - they're in the dropdown list and still work when selected. (Rockwell was an error on my part.) Perhaps it's possible that the font files actually hadn't been deleted from my device and are treated as sideloaded.

I can tell you that 4.35 downloads the following Hebrew and Arabic fonts on demand to the fonts/kobo folder:
NotoSansArabic-Bold.ttf
NotoSansArabic-Regular.ttf
NotoSerifHebrew-Bold.ttf
NotoSerifHebrew-Regular.ttf
Colonel Cathcart is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
I can tell you that 4.35 downloads the following Hebrew and Arabic fonts on demand to the fonts/kobo folder:
NotoSansArabic-Bold.ttf
NotoSansArabic-Regular.ttf
NotoSerifHebrew-Bold.ttf
NotoSerifHebrew-Regular.ttf
That's strange to me. Why wouldn't there be one NotoSans font with Latin, Arabic and Hebrew (etc) glyphs? A sort of superset font IYSWIM, instead of several subset fonts?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 03:15 PM   #4
criscros
Fulltime reader
criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post

However:

On my Clara HD, still on 4.34 all three fonts are there.
On my new Clara 2e, also on 4.34 they are not there.
Different firmware/hardware, different changes?
criscros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 03:21 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscros View Post
On my Clara HD, still on 4.34 all three fonts are there.
On my new Clara 2e, also on 4.34 they are not there.
Different firmware/hardware, different changes?
That might make sense. My device is a Libra H2O.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2022, 05:16 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
That's strange to me. Why wouldn't there be one NotoSans font with Latin, Arabic and Hebrew (etc) glyphs? A sort of superset font IYSWIM, instead of several subset fonts?
My guess is that makes it a larger font and if we don't need Arabic and/or Hebrew, then we don't need a larger font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 05:18 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@ownedbycats,

After a bit more digging around, I suspect it's only the Clara2E where the 3 fonts are completely missing.

The last firmware zip file which contained them was 4.33.19759 but they were gone in 4.34.20097, 4.35.20400. But (so far) Kobo has made no attempt to remove existing font files already installed on a device.

The first general release firmware which included a mark10 version for the Clara2E was 4.34.20097. So every model except the Clara2E will still have old copies of the 3 fonts installed.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 02:26 AM   #8
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Those fonts were downloaded on demand, when I first opened a book that required Hebrew and Arabic fonts. Funny enough, I already had Hebrew fonts side loaded and was able to render Hebrew perfectly fine.

You can grab the EPUB Feature Peeker posted here on the forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...feature+peeker
which has plenty of language examples that will trigger this behavior.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:58 AM   #9
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Those fonts were downloaded on demand, when I first opened a book that required Hebrew and Arabic fonts. Funny enough, I already had Hebrew fonts side loaded and was able to render Hebrew perfectly fine.
Yes, you said they were downloaded on demand. I just don't understand why the Kobo firmware doesn't have a version of NotoSans with those extra glyphs out of the box. Surely that's simpler than downloading a font over the net and then loading it separately?
Old 12-23-2022, 07:29 AM   #10
Colonel Cathcart
Addict

Quote:
Yes, you said they were downloaded on demand. I just don't understand why the Kobo firmware doesn't have a version of NotoSans with those extra glyphs out of the box. Surely that's simpler than downloading a font over the net and then loading it separately?
simpler, probably, but then again most users would never need those fonts and the little saved space and less cluttered font list is a plus. The same goes with the additional dictionaries you can download.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #11
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
I just don't understand why the Kobo firmware doesn't have a version of NotoSans with those extra glyphs out of the box. Surely that's simpler than downloading a font over the net and then loading it separately?
The Noto font family is created by Google. Google's main Noto Sans and Noto Serif fonts support Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek scripts. Each of the 90 other scripts supported by the font family is in a separate file. Google's official explanation for this is that OpenType fonts have a hard limit of 65,535 glyphs, and the full Noto font family has a lot more than that.

From Kobo's point of view, my guess would be that they don't want the added hassle of having to maintain a fork of the Noto fonts which combines the scripts they support into a single file -it's probably easier for them to just use the files provided by Google and add in whatever e-ink optimizations they put in.

Quote:
Did it delete your sideloaded font files when it downloaded its Hebrew fonts? I used to have Noto Sans Hebrew (which I prefer for Yiddish on e-ink), and it deleted those files when it download Noto Serif Hebrew. I re-added them and it's not removed them since, but I thought it was rather peculiar that they were deleted in the first place.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 01:59 PM   #12
Colonel Cathcart
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
Did it delete your sideloaded font files when it downloaded its Hebrew fonts? I used to have Noto Sans Hebrew (which I prefer for Yiddish on e-ink), and it deleted those files when it download Noto Serif Hebrew. I re-added them and it's not removed them since, but I thought it was rather peculiar that they were deleted in the first place.
It downloaded the fonts into fonts/kobo. My side-loaded fonts are, obviously in the fonts folder and were not overwritten. I didn't sideload Noto Serif Hebrew fonts myself so nothing seems to have changed in the fonts folder as far as I could tell but it does raise an interesting question.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:12 PM   #13
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
The Noto font family is created by Google. Google's main Noto Sans and Noto Serif fonts support Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek scripts. Each of the 90 other scripts supported by the font family is in a separate file. Google's official explanation for this is that OpenType fonts have a hard limit of 65,535 glyphs, and the full Noto font family has a lot more than that.

From Kobo's point of view, my guess would be that they don't want the added hassle of having to maintain a fork of the Noto fonts which combines the scripts they support into a single file -it's probably easier for them to just use the files provided by Google and add in whatever e-ink optimizations they put in.
Yeah, being able to take upstream code/data verbatim is rather important. Thanks for the pointer to Google's FAQ too!
Old 12-24-2022, 06:44 PM   #14
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

jackie_w seems to be right about it being specific to the Clara - comparing firmwares shows the fonts were overwritten out on Clara but not H2O.

KoboRoot.tgz\KoboRoot.tar\.\usr\local\Trolltech\Qt Embedded-4.6.2-arm\lib\fonts\

Libra H2O version of firmware:

Code:
Amasis.ttf, 128,627 bytes, 2022-09-16 10:08:47
Amasis-Bold.ttf, 136,098 bytes, 2022-09-16 10:08:47
Amasis-BoldItalic.ttf, 152,018 bytes, 2022-09-16 10:08:47
Amasis-Italic.ttf, 153,349 bytes, 2022-09-16 10:08:47
Avenir.ttf, 32,284 bytes, 2022-09-16 10:08:47
Avenir-Bold.ttf, 33,771 bytes, 2022-09-16 10:08:47
Avenir-BoldItalic.ttf, 29,894 bytes, 2022-09-16 10:08:47
Avenir-Italic.ttf, 29,153 bytes, 2022-09-16 10:08:47
georgia.ttf, 81,555 bytes, 2022-09-16 10:08:47
georgiab.ttf, 83,986 bytes, 2022-09-16 10:08:47