Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-28-2022, 09:18 PM   #1
pkax
pkax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How do I stop calibre from changing metadata automatically?

I've manually and automatically uploaded guidebooks with correct metadata using ISBN codes. All details are correct for about two minutes and then it refreshes changing the fields, including the cover image, to another book altogether.

Any advice would be appreciated including whether I can lock all or parts of the metadata down.
pkax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 11:04 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can you tell us which operating system you use, which version of calibre you have installed, and where your library stored?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2022, 11:15 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre will never automatically change metadata, metadata can only be changed in response to some user action.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 05:57 AM   #4
pkax

that's definitely not what I experienced, i saw it happen
book isbn:1787015505 changed to asin:B007WQA300 without any interaction on my behalf
Old 10-29-2022, 06:01 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well then you have magic pixies running around in your computer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2022, 10:55 AM   #6
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkax View Post
that's definitely not what I experienced, i saw it happen
book isbn:1787015505 changed to asin:B007WQA300 without any interaction on my behalf
I would check your computer with virus, malware, and trojan scanners. These type of infections are often how the magic pixies do their work.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 11:04 AM   #7
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
Maybe a plugin like Action Chain that you forgot about?

I have one that silently extracts the ISBN/etc when a book is added and takes a moment to complete before it magically appears...
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 06:25 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Also check your keyboard. Stuck keys can cause gremlins.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 07:59 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Also check your keyboard. Stuck keys can cause gremlins.
Or Cats.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 08:44 PM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Or Cats.
I'm not sure whether to read that as cats causing gremlins, or stuck keyboard causing cats.
Old 10-30-2022, 06:06 AM   #11
pkax

thanks for putting your suggestions forward however none of those are valid or apply
my version of calibre is the latest linuxserver-calibre docker image on a Synology, its currently calibre 6.7.1
something is triggering the change, I'd like to get to the bottom of it
does debug mode log metadata scrapes?
Old 10-30-2022, 06:49 AM   #12
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Synology: are you running on an NAS? That causes problems.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-30-2022 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:10 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not sure whether to read that as cats causing gremlins, or stuck keyboard causing cats.
My stuck keyboards are usually cause by Cat Hair

Would that be CATastrophic runaway
Old 10-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Synology: are you running on an NAS? That causes problems.
A Synology NAS can act as a Calibre Server . That is not the same as using it as a File Server, which is the network share issue