Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-08-2022, 03:41 AM   #1
generalheed
generalheed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Question Is it possible to change the image displayed for drained battery?

Just dusted off my old Kindle 4 from 10 years ago and decided to finally get some use out of it by jailbreaking it. I'm thinking of turning it into a digital photo frame and I've seen some projects for that already too. But what I'm curious about is if it's possible to change the system image displayed for when the battery is dead? So instead of displaying the charge battery image, I can have it permanently display another image until I charge it again? That way it can be used as a permanent picture frame even if the battery is totally drained.

Not sure if it's a simple image file swap somewhere in the directories or if I have to compile a whole new custom OS, but any insight would be much appreciated!
generalheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 04:16 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Although I can't answer that specific question, I think it's important to note that leaving the battery at 0% will rapidly destroy it and render the Kindle unusable in the future. Lithium-ion batteries dislike states of extreme charge and discharge. If you want to leave it off for a long time, you should discharge the battery to around 50% and then turn it off.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2022, 07:08 AM   #3
guoyongzhi
guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.guoyongzhi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: KOA2
/usr/share/blanket/shutdown/bg_critbatt.png
guoyongzhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:04 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Keep in mind that upsetting blanket by screwing this up is probably a very good way to soft-brick a device ;o).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:01 PM   #5
generalheed

Quote:
Originally Posted by guoyongzhi View Post
/usr/share/blanket/shutdown/bg_critbatt.png
Hmm the blanket directory doesn't seem to exist in /usr/share for me.
Advert
Old 10-08-2022, 11:32 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, right, blanket is a FW 5.x daemon .

I... don't remember how it worked before ;o).

There's quite likely either a PNG or a framebuffer dump *somewhere*, though.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:26 AM   #7
generalheed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Oh, right, blanket is a FW 5.x daemon .

I... don't remember how it worked before ;o).

There's quite likely either a PNG or a framebuffer dump *somewhere*, though.
Ahhh I found it, it's stored at:

./opt/amazon/low_level_screens/600x800/critbatt.png

Now before I make changes to these images, do I need to watch out for anything to prevent bricking my Kindle?
Old 10-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Double-check the *exact* encoding peculiarities of the PNG.

It's likely to be a true PNG8 with a full 256c palette (i.e., -define png:color-type=0 -define png:bit-depth=8 for ImageMagick).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-09-2022 at 01:18 PM.

Tags
images, kindle 4, photo frame