Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2022, 02:48 PM   #1
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch; reMarkable tablet.
Buying recommendation please for the UK

Hi,

after quite a few very happy years with my Kobo (my third one, Aura One), it is starting to have issues (the USB connector) so I'm looking at buying another one before it breaks down completely.

I bought two of my previous Kobo readers at WH Smiths but they no longer appear to sell them. Before I go online to buy, is there anybody else in the UK that sells them in shops? I always appreciate being able to hold one before buying... .which brings me to:

The second related but more important question: having been out of the market for some years, I have no idea which of the Sage, Forma, or Libra 2 (the options I see on the kobo website for purchase) to go for. I do not need/want the Elipsa (as I already have a reMarkable tablet). Any suggestions would be welcome. I want a reader first and foremost. They all look quite nice but I wonder: are the 8" Sage or Forma too large maybe? I love the 7" Kobo I have and larger seems appealing but...

Thank you all.

Last edited by ballfresno; 08-01-2022 at 02:49 PM. Reason: removed spurious punctuation
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:15 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Argos sells Kobo Readers. Amazon sells kwmobile cases.

I bought a Libra 2 because the Sage's battery is poor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
Hi,

after quite a few very happy years with my Kobo (my third one, Aura One), it is starting to have issues (the USB connector) so I'm looking at buying another one before it breaks down completely.

I bought two of my previous Kobo readers at WH Smiths but they no longer appear to sell them. Before I go online to buy, is there anybody else in the UK that sells them in shops? I always appreciate being able to hold one before buying... .which brings me to:

The second related but more important question: having been out of the market for some years, I have no idea which of the Sage, Forma, or Libra 2 (the options I see on the kobo website for purchase) to go for. I do not need/want the Elipsa (as I already have a reMarkable tablet). Any suggestions would be welcome. I want a reader first and foremost. They all look quite nice but I wonder: are the 8" Sage or Forma too large maybe? I love the 7" Kobo I have and larger seems appealing but...

Thank you all.
as mentioned already Argos sells them. John Lewis and WH Smiths seem to be bye bye.

i'd go for the Libra 2 from the current models available, but only if i had to. none of the newer Kobo's (so far) float my boat. of course it's each to their own

best wishes Koboy

Last edited by koboy; 08-01-2022 at 04:23 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:36 PM   #4
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both! I'll check out Argos. The Libra 2 seems close to my Aura One so might be just what I want.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:20 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I think the 8” Sage is closer to the 7.8” Aura One in terms of screen size than the 7” Libra 2, which is more like the older 6.8” H2Os.

I can’t address the Sage battery issue directly; however, I’ll say that anyone who was happy enough with the Aura One battery experience would probably not have an issue with the Sage.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2022, 02:28 AM   #6
ballfresno
Addict

Okay, that is helpful as well. I do like the size of the screen on the Aura One but for some reason I only remembered the 7 part of the size.

Thank you.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:07 AM   #7
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O(ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
John Lewis is the best option in the UK with their 2 year guarantee and price match, but they've not had stock of Kobo for a while and I suspect they might not be stocking any more.
Argos has limited stock too, so I wonder if they are going to stop?
I got my Libra 2 directly online from Rakuten Kobo a few weeks ago when they offered £20 off.They do a 2 year guarantee in the UK too.

I'm moving from a Forma and don't notice the reduction in screen size. Avoided the Sage because I don't need to write on it and have read too much about battery issues.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:20 AM   #8
ballfresno
Addict

Thanks.

John Lewis do seem to be out of stock completely. Argos are fine for Sage (which I could pick up tomorrow) but not Libra 2.

How quickly did Rakuten deliver your Kobo?
Old 08-02-2022, 06:26 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The £20 off on the Libra 2 is no longer.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:58 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Sage was cheaper one time here (Ireland) in Argos. A 2nd Sage for granddaughter was cheaper in Amazon. I forget if UK or DE.

Argos or Currys here often has nothing in stock I want and offer 3 to 4 days. Then I order online. Currys often overpriced by up to 1.3X
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:10 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you want a white Kobo Libra 2, you can get it at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09HSRLQVX

kwimoble cases for the Libra 2
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09PQYDK6F
Old 08-02-2022, 08:52 AM   #12
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
Thanks.

John Lewis do seem to be out of stock completely. Argos are fine for Sage (which I could pick up tomorrow) but not Libra 2.

How quickly did Rakuten deliver your Kobo?
Next day delivery - though they promised 7 to 10 days and their online tracking is useless and is still showing Dispatch Planned for me a couple of weeks later.

There have been bad experiences reported on here with Kobo telephone support, but I have only used them once and they replaced my 1.3/4 year old Forma without question and by next day delivery (again promising only 7 to 10 days. They seem to promise that then deliver next day). My wife is still using it. They didn't even want the old one back.

So I'd be happy to buy from them again.
The £20 off Libra 2 offer is no more, but I'm very happy with my white one and glad I bought it Best reader I've had.

ps I always use Forefront shell cases available from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forefront-C...ps%2C51&sr=8-2
Very light, sturdy and sleep/wake on close and open

Last edited by Ned; 08-02-2022 at 09:00 AM. Reason: add case
Old 08-02-2022, 09:00 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
ps I always use Forefront shell cases available from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forefront-C...ps%2C51&sr=8-2
Very light, sturdy and sleep/wake on close and open
I'm going with kwimoble cases. I like the artwork on them and they are light and sturdy and have the sleep/wake feature. I cannot speak on Forefont other then kwimoble looks nicer.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:03 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^

That case is currently showing 'Unavailable'.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:04 AM   #15
Ned
Ebook reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm going with kwimoble cases. I like the artwork on them and they are light and sturdy and have the sleep/wake feature. I cannot speak on Forefont other then kwimoble looks nicer.
Each to his own.
I don't like the patterns and have a brilliant red case that sets off the white of my Libra 2 perfectly.
But I respect your choice and would follow it if Forefront were no longer available.
They look just the same case but with different patterns