Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2022, 11:00 PM   #1
Mikkail
Mikkail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Graphite DXG
Restore jailbreak after factory reset...

Ok, so my Kindle Voyage stopped connecting to my wi-fi. In the process of trying to fix this, I finally did a factory reset.
In the end the problem was solved by changing channels on the router.
The jailbreak I used was "JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix"
I had applied the screensaver hack and was on 5.8.8, and had updates blocked.
However, I have lost my screensavers and the device has reverted to the stock ones. The system software is still on 5.8.8, and "Update your kindle" is greyed out.
It's been a few years since I did the jailbreak - so what is the best/easiest way to restore the jailbreak? Or do I need to start over? Or something else?
TIA!
Mikkail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Reinstall the hotfix (not jailbreak) and reinstall MRPI, KUAL, and screensavers.

Read jailbreak instructions starting after jailbreak (just about any jailbreak method).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2022, 11:05 PM   #3
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
When you do a factory reset, it just removes the hotfix/bridge and hacks altogether. But the device is still jailbroken.

As j.p.s suggested, all you need to do is install the hotfix and MRPI, KUAL, screensaver hack, and all other hacks/extensions.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:21 AM   #4
Mikkail

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Reinstall the hotfix (not jailbreak) and reinstall MRPI, KUAL, and screensavers.

Read jailbreak instructions starting after jailbreak (just about any jailbreak method).
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it does not work. I get this message:
"Update error
An invalid update file has been loaded onto your device. Please go to..."
and directed to Amazon customer support.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:33 AM   #5
Mikkail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkasit View Post
When you do a factory reset, it just removes the hotfix/bridge and hacks altogether. But the device is still jailbroken.

As j.p.s suggested, all you need to do is install the hotfix and MRPI, KUAL, screensaver hack, and all other hacks/extensions.
Thanks. I got it to work. As said above, I used "...hotfix_1.14N..." and it gave an error message. (That was the file I used back in '17 or so). So I tried "...hotfix_1.16N..." and it worked as expected. So KUAL, MRPI and my custom screensavers all back.

Thanks to all.
Advert