Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-19-2022, 09:25 AM   #1
DDVoyager
DDVoyager began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Why replace my Kindle Voyage?

Hi.

Looking for someone to challenge my thinking regarding NOT to buy a replacement of my Kindle Voyage...

I use it...often. My library is somewhat extensive with over a hundred books along with a number of PDFs. While I'll take it to the beach, I do not bring it in the ocean or read in a pool. I also have dozens of AudioBooks that I listen off my phone.

So, while I tell myself that a new Kindle Paperwhite will allow me combine my ebooks and audiobooks into one device, I ask myself, "Why bother?...If nothing is broken, there is nothing to fix."

So challenge me. Why should I get a new Paperwhite? What value would a new Paperwhite provide me besides being waterproof and listening to my AudioBooks?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

-DDVoyager
DDVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
This thread will likely be moved to 'which one should I buy?'

Anyway, I don't think you should replace the Voyage, if it works for you and you are happy with it.

Amber lighting on newer readers is something I really appreciate as I read a lot at night. But you didn't mention that.

For me, audiobooks on an e-ink device feels more like a dumb trick than anything game changing. Phones seem like a more natural place for them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A phone is better for MP3s.

100s of books isn't much. You can easily have 1000s if utilising project Gutenberg. Old out of copyright, thus PD. Thousands are classics.

The only reason to upgrade from Voyage would be for a 7" or 8" or 10" (PDFs) screen or for eInk android for tricky Library apps where it's awkward to use Kindle or Kobo.

Or notetaking

Or better Calibre support for covers, collections, series and annotations on ANY current Kobo model.

The Voyage was one of the best Amazon 6" readers hence the higher price. Screens are really no better. Personally I prefer a nice external lamp to front LEDs of ereader, but the amber tint option is pleasant. Reminds me of Amber CRTs and transportable computers with orange plasma (neon really?) panel screens, a near laptop but mains only.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
There is no real reason to replace it. The Voyage has the best screen of the Kindles and it sounds like it's working perfectly fine for you.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:55 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
For me, audiobooks on an e-ink device feels more like a dumb trick than anything game changing. Phones seem like a more natural place for them.
The battery life on my new Paperwhite while listening to audiobooks is far superior to the battery life on my phone. Still ... that might not convince me to take my Paperwhite on the road with me for audiobooks (were it not for the fact that the Paperwhite also allows me to use my Echo Buds).

The decision for me would come down to how much battery my audiobook habits require. If I had to carry around a charging power bank to make sure I could listen to my audiobooks AND make numerous phone calls/texts throughout the day, then I might consider consolidating ebooks and audiobooks on one (eink) device. Otherwise, I'll listen to audiobooks on my Paperwhite while at home, and on my phone when not. My eink rarely travels with me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2022, 10:06 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One reason to replace your Voyage is that a larger screen may give you a better reading experience. I have a Kobo Libra 2 with a 7" screen and I much prefer the 7" screen to the 6" screen.

Have a look at Readers with a larger screen and decide for yourself if such a device will be good for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:15 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Screen size also occurred to me as the only real advantage of upgrading; I’m in the camp that doesn’t see the point of audiobooks on eink. If it allowed for immersive reading and that appealed, it would be different.

All of that said, if you’re content right now, why wouldn’t you wait? There’s always new tech coming or there might be a deal you can’t resist, or both.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:19 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do think looking into devices with a larger screen now is a good idea even if waiting. That way, you'll know if a larger screen may be for you when you find one you want.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:28 AM   #9
stetre_76
stetre_76 began at the beginning.

Device: Onxy Boox Nova Air C
I've been using a Kindle Voyage for the last couple of years (I think since 2017) and it still does what it's supposed to do - that it doesn't receive any updates anymore doesn't really bother me...it's "just" an e-reader.

Still, some 2 weeks ago I bought a Onyx Boox Nova Air C as a replacement (but i am still keeping the Voyage as a backup).
The main reasons for the switching devices:
- battery life of the Voyage was getting a bit of a problem (for an E-reader) - well, not really, but every 2-3 weeks (reading every day/every second day for about an hour) I have to recharge the Voyage, sometimes even more often.
- I wanted a device for taking notes and syncing to OneNotes, as well as working with pds files (I know 7.8" is not ideal for pdfs)

The Nova Air C was more or less a spontanous buy, but so far I have no regrets buying it.
Battery life is comparable to the old Voyage, but for an Android device that's pretty good. Taking notes and working with OneNotes is great and as an e-reader the Nova absolutely fine.

Anyway, if you are just in need of an E-Reader and your Voyage is still working flawlessly, then I wouldn't get another device
If you're looking for more (taking notes, Android-supported, ...) than there are lots of alternatives out there...
stetre_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:26 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
This thread will likely be moved to 'which one should I buy?'

Anyway, I don't think you should replace the Voyage, if it works for you and you are happy with it.

Amber lighting on newer readers is something I really appreciate as I read a lot at night. But you didn't mention that.

I use my cell phone, too, when I'm out and about. For me, audiobooks on an eink reader - even with the 'somewhat-now standard' 32 gigs on said reader - is not enough for me.

When I'm out and about and just want to read (no audiobooks!), sitting outside in Miraflores and drinking a cappuccino while watching the beautiful buses with their wonderful black exhaust fumes spewing into the air, then of course I'll take my ebook reader with me.

So, for me, it depends on what I want to do: READ OR LISTEN.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-20-2022 at 07:41 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:02 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I use my cell phone, too, when I'm out and about. For me, audiobooks on an eink reader - even with the 'somewhat-now standard' 32 gigs on said reader - is not enough for me.
Yeah, shockingly I managed to nearly fill the 8GBs on my Clara through careful inattention and diligently not removing books I finished.

Even so, this was filled with kepubs, not PDFs, comics or other large sized files. So audio could be a problem.

Quote:
When I'm out and about and just want to read (no audiobooks!), sitting outside in Miraflores and drinking a cappuccino while watching the beautiful buses with their wonderful black exhaust fumes spewing into the air, then of course I'll take my ebook reader with me.
Of course, those black exhaust fumes could leave audio books as your onlly option. At least until they clear.

Quote:
So, for me, it depends on what I want to do: READ OR LISTEN.
I've never gotten into audio books, but I do like to listen to podcasts and old time radio shows. And I've never once thought 'why can't my eink device play these?

I already have my ear buds and bluetooth speakers set to automatically connect to my phone. Plus I can cast to my smart speakers and there's Android auto in the car.

In what way would my Kobo improve on that experience?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:33 AM   #12
Raventhon
Raventhon began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Voyage
Voyage's PagePress is one of my favorite features on any ereader ever. The physical feedback from page turns is a huge delight and I honestly can't see myself changing to a pure-touchscreen ereader ever.
Raventhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:00 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
As a Voyage user (I have 5), I see no reason to upgrade unless you have a need that is fixed by a newer model. A bigger screen if you find yourself needing a much larger font, waterproofness (you commute by bus or train - it rains), you want to do substantial reading at night in bed (amber screen). I'm sure there are some others, but none of them fit me so no need to upgrade. I AM getting a new device for my Mom because of a stacking deal. She has a Paperwhite 1 now and I don't want to give up any of my Voyages (greedy, I know).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 04:04 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I sold my Voyage a couple of years ago. It was sitting unused on a shelf. Personally I prefer a 7-8" screen, the asymmetrical shape (Oasis, Libra 2, Sage) and real physical buttons. Plus the warm light feature. I was never very happy with my Voyage. The shape and ergonomics didn't suit me and I didn't really like the page press sensors either. They're better than using the touchscreen, but nothing trumps physical buttons for me.

That said, everyone's preferences are different. If you're happy with your Voyage and don't feel any need or curiosity for something newer, then stick to it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 04:48 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'd drop the Voyage mainly because I prefer a larger screen.

Tags
paperwhite, voyage