Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-08-2022, 12:54 PM   #1
cgsmom
Groupie
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8, Kindle PW4, iPhone 11, iPad Air 2, NST
Good time for Oasis?

I am wondering if now is a good time to buy an Oasis. I have a Nook 7.8. It is OK but is starting to act up a little. It reboots itself randomly. I got out my PW4 and have been reading on it. I like the flush screen. I miss the buttons and the warm light. I like syncing sideloaded content. I like Send to Kindle for sideloading. All of my favorite authors books in my local library are available in Kindle format. I know that a new updated Oasis will probably be out soon, but I am trying to think of what could be added that I would want.

The Oasis is on sale for Mother's Day. I can get 20% off if I trade in my PW plus $30 for the PW itself. Should I go for it?
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 01:06 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Better time to buy a Kobo Libra 2 as you read ePub, you can continue to do so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #3
cgsmom
Groupie
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Better time to buy a Kobo Libra 2 as you read ePub, you can continue to do so.
The Libra 2 doesn't offer flush screen or sideload syncing, so it is not what I want. The Sage is too heavy and doesn't have good battery life. I just don't want a Kobo right now. Maybe someday.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3
I'd wait. The Oasis is 3 years old, a new version may come out soon.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 01:17 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
. The Sage is too heavy and doesn't have good battery life.
Your Nook is heavier than the Sage, btw.
Advert
Old 05-08-2022, 01:23 PM   #6
hleo12
Evangelist
hleo12 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.hleo12 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.hleo12 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.hleo12 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.hleo12 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.hleo12 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.hleo12 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.hleo12 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.hleo12 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.hleo12 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.hleo12 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I'm just inputting my 2 cents here because I'm still salty about the send-to-kindle change.

If you're like me and like your library to look pretty, unfortunately, we can't have thumbnail covers now with send to kindle as Amazon have stopped accepting mobi formats for conversion. Whispersync was also one of the major reasons why I stuck with Amazon. Since we can't have covers for sideloaded books via send to kindle, I'm looking at other stuff for my next upgrade.

Do you like the Oasis because of its form factor? Almost all of the reviews I've watched said the pw5 is like the oasis. Based on your wants, the only thing you'll be missing are the buttons. pw5 is also loads cheaper than an oasis.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 01:27 PM   #7
cgsmom
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Your Nook is heavier than the Sage, btw.
I know. I got tired of the weight of the Nook too. I never put a cover on the Nook because it is so heavy.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:27 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Do you like the Oasis because of its form factor? Almost all of the reviews I've watched said the pw5 is like the oasis. Based on your wants, the only thing you'll be missing are the buttons. pw5 is also loads cheaper than an oasis.
Well, buttons are indispensable for some of us. They're the reason I've never owned a single Paperwhite model, nor will I.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:33 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

As to what could be added to a new Oasis, personally I'm hoping for a new 8'' Carta 1200 screen with improved contrast, like the newest Kobos have. Ideally also no metal back, but that's unlikely.

If it sticks to the 7'', I'll probably pass.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:49 PM   #10
cgsmom
Groupie

Thanks for all your thoughts. I think I will wait and see whether a new Oasis comes out this year. I bought the PW4 because I didnít want to spend the money on the Oasis. I bought the Nook because the PW4 didnít have buttons. Both were compromises. The next reader I buy must have everything I want. Life is too short.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:28 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for all your thoughts. I think I will wait and see whether a new Oasis comes out this year. I bought the PW4 because I didnít want to spend the money on the Oasis. I bought the Nook because the PW4 didnít have buttons. Both were compromises. The next reader I buy must have everything I want. Life is too short.
The PW4 is terrible. The screen is abysmal. The PW3 had a good screen but the PW4 does not. Amazon botched the PW4 by making it flush. The Libra 2 is not flush so the screen can still look good.

By raising the touch layer to make the screen flush, Amazon moved the touch layer away from the screen and that made the screen look muddy and less contrast. It's a disaster.

As for syncing on a Kindle, you do know that you will lose your covers.

A Kobo Libra 2 is better in almost every way vs a Kindle.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:43 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
I bought the PW4 because I didnít want to spend the money on the Oasis. I bought the Nook because the PW4 didnít have buttons. Both were compromises. The next reader I buy must have everything I want. Life is too short.
Personally, I wouldn't buy an Oasis. The current Paperwhite seems so damn close to the Oasis. But man, depending on how bad you want it, look for a good sale and get what you've been craving.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:49 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The PW4 is terrible. The screen is abysmal. The PW3 had a good screen but the PW4 does not. Amazon botched the PW4 by making it flush. The Libra 2 is not flush so the screen can still look good.

By raising the touch layer to make the screen flush, Amazon moved the touch layer away from the screen and that made the screen look muddy and less contrast. It's a disaster.
The Sage is flush as well and has a good screen, almost as good as the Libra 2. It's not muddy in the least. So flush vs recessed is not the main reason for screen differences.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:54 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Sage is flush as well and has a good screen, almost as good as the Libra 2. It's not muddy in the least. So flush vs recessed is not the main reason for screen differences.
Please explain why the PW3 screen is much better then the PW4 screen if you think I am incorrect.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:04 PM   #15
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I’d hold off. As others have said the Oasis is 3 years old and due for an update. If one does come out you can still trade your PW4 in, and if the Oasis 2022 doesn’t have enough to justify it over the Oasis 2019 you should be able to pick up the 2019 at a discount plus the trade in.

Personally I’d still suggest the Sage. But if you’re sure it’s too heavy for you the next best with a flush screen and your other requirements would be one of the Kindles.

I recently did a months long comparison of the Sage vs the Libra 2 and despite the Libra 2 having a slight advantage in darker blacks (and I read exclusively in dark mode) the flush screen of the Sage is among the reasons I picked it as my daily reader. The Libra 2 will either be a backup or become a gift for a family member.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote