Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 03-29-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
atl068
atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Onyx Boox m96
Boyue P10W - stylus/notetaking, ereader?

Hi, I use a Boyue Muses, and I have learnt to live with it for all its software quirks. The p10w is the cheapest large screen device and I would like something larger for reading PDFs. I don't seem to see many with the p10w (not the p10), and wonder if anyone has the p10w and would care to share a little. I am unfazed that Boyue might be out of business or that the p10w might never get a further update.
  1. How does the stylus experience go? Is it workable for notetaking?
  2. Is the device speed reasonable? I take Boyue Muses as a bit slower.
  3. How heavy is the device when in everyday use? I find the Muses on the heavy side for a 7.8". For a 10" I can accept heavier though I would like to hear comments on it.
  4. Any quirks I should know? I can see a lot of complains on the p10, but mostly due to the non-WACOM active stylus...
atl068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
What is price compared to 10" Kobo Elipsa which I got after the 7.8" Boyue Mars?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2022, 05:38 PM   #3
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
P10W is cheaper than the Elispa ($370 on Aliexpress vs. $400). Has twice the storage and is faster. Screen is a bit worse at only 200ppi.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:53 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
P10W is cheaper than the Elispa ($370 on Aliexpress vs. $400). Has twice the storage and is faster. Screen is a bit worse at only 200ppi.
And also has Android and not the strange Kobo system, with which I have never managed to sort all of them into the library after the last transfer, for example, of almost eight thousand books - 2,800 were missing, although they were transferred.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:01 AM   #5
atl068
atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Yeh, but sadly no one seems to own the p10w and able to actually share daily use experience.

Incidentally, my daughter just spilt some water on my Muses last night. It still works but the stylus input doesn't work any more. All the more relevant this question becomes... if I pay more, I would consider the nova 3 colour... it is interesting because it has colour and I am happy with my pocketbook colour even with the slightly older kaleido screen.
Advert
Old 04-01-2022, 08:14 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl068 View Post
Yeh, but sadly no one seems to own the p10w and able to actually share daily use experience.
I have the P10 and am happy with it.
But I use it less for notes and more for comments in books and I think it's enough for that.
Old 04-02-2022, 02:46 AM   #7
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
There's nothing on this forum relating to one of the newer tablets for note taking. This looks to put the emphasis on note taking as a study aid plus the ability to read e-books. Such an approach looks more promising that trying to expand the capabilities of an e-reader. Do a Google search for the reMarkable 2. I've no experience of the reMarkable but if I'd been more clued up a couple of years ago I'd never have bought a Boyue e-reader.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 11:27 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
Do a Google search for the reMarkable 2. I've no experience of the reMarkable but if I'd been more clued up a couple of years ago I'd never have bought a Boyue e-reader.
A Remarkable 2 is the generally wrong device for reading pdfs.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:30 AM   #9
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Quite possibly but an e-reader is not a good choice for note taking if you are a student. The direction taken by reMarkable does have promise. Conventional e-readers have failed to make significant moves forward. Add a reMarkable to your growing collection and post a review on this forum rather than simply beating the Boyue drum.
Old 04-03-2022, 06:11 AM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Add a reMarkable to your growing collection and post a review on this forum rather than simply beating the Boyue drum.
Thanks, but no - that's a device I don't need at all.
I also only use Boox devices for very specific purposes and, with the exception of the Poke 3, they have nothing to do with ebooks - simply because they are unsuitable for what I need.
I need a lot of storage; and only the Like/Meebook devices offer me that.
Of course it was necessary to deal with the Android possibilities of these devices a bit, which you obviously didn't do, which is why you reject these devices so much.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:20 AM   #11
bazz2004
Groupie

You have a lot of devices that you don't really need so easy to add another one.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:42 AM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
You have a lot of devices that you don't really need so easy to add another one.
You are wrong - I need each of my devices for their specific use.
And an 8GB storage device that's only usable for notes and looks nice but can't do anything else makes no sense to me.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:51 PM   #13
atl068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
What is price compared to 10" Kobo Elipsa which I got after the 7.8" Boyue Mars?
In Australia, I can get the Boyue Likebook p10w for around aud360 but I think the stock is running low. The Elipsa is retailing for around aud600... almost twice the price. Hence the p10w, if it works well, is enticing --- before remaining stock runs out. Still wondering if I really need to upgrade now (I still use a Onyx Boox m96!! 9.7" but half the resolution. I also use variously: a PocketBook Color, a Muses and a Nova 2)... I'm still trying to compare my experience between the Nova 2 and the Muses, to make sure that I'm really alright with the extra bugginess of Boyue devices. I actually find the Nova 2 with upgraded firmware to display epubs in a way I don't like --- and it has huge bugs with the hyperlinks (italicised anchors seem to not work properly in one of my ebooks). I also like the spaced out view of the older ROM, which is how Boyue has it at present. Boyue also displays the hyperlinks correctly. Harrumph.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:12 PM   #14
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl068 View Post
In Australia, I can get the Boyue Likebook p10w for around aud360 but I think the stock is running low. The Elipsa is retailing for around aud600... almost twice the price. Hence the p10w, if it works well, is enticing ---.
I am in Australia and have the Likebook p10w for that very reason. Up until a few weeks ago I found it quite useless, mainly because the jnstructions were written in such poor English that they were hard to follow, some of the reading apps are quite buggy, such as Kobo and Kindle. However the native reading app on the device is quite good, particularly rewarding because the wireless transfer of books from the cloud (Onedrive) is so easy and fast, and the app is very good and responsive. The pen is a little tardy in its use, but quite satisfactory for minor annotations and doing crosswords.
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:39 AM   #15
atl068

Thanks OneMack! That helps. I have decided that I will stick with the old M96 and found that even the smaller Muses in landscape and fit to page width, A4/letter sized pdf are very usable. I am using both the older devices with good success. I have set up folder sync on both to a home network drive to sync documents to the devices, and also sync any exported PDFs with mark-ups to network drive. Working very well. Read over 10 academic journals this way in the past week. Happy. I am amazed that the very old M96 (circa 2014, Android 4.0.4) still works great. Just have to find the older version apk from other sites so it works on Android 4.0.4. The writing latency on the m96 is so amazing. And it only registers stylus so palm rejection is not an issue.