Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-15-2022, 12:14 PM   #1
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Question: Updating Calibre and plugins

Does anyone maintain a thread - ideally routinely updating (and timestamping) the first post in a thread - detailing what version of DeDRM is compatible and works with what version of Calibre?

I know there are several threads related to this plugin, but one I recently looked at was well over a thousand posts and has been being updated for years as things change. It is hard to wade through all that information if you have not been keeping up with it over the years.

Additionally, if looks like there is a DeDRM plugin, and now there appears to be a forked NoDRM plugin. Why would you chose one over the other?

I am wanting to know, "Which newest version of Calibre needs to be installed on a Linux system, which version of DeDRM or NoDRM, and which version of the newer ACSM plugin - so that everything is compatible and works?" Maybe the answer is "install the newest of everything". That would be ideal. But it could take me hours/days to wade through all the outdated information posted on this topic to come to that conclusion. I'm interested in using the plugin(s), but not necessarily following new developments in them on a day to day basis.

Currently, because I'm afraid to break anything, I am running Calibre 3.48 and DeDRM 6.5.4 and this works for me. Except to use the new ACSM plugin, it appears I need to move to Calibre 5. Which then begs the question, "What will this move do regarding DeDRM?" The answer may be glaringly obvious to many here who follow these plugins, but it's not obvious to those of us who don't follow plugin updates routinely.

Thanks for any pointers to the most current information that doesn't require scrolling through a 1000+ post thread.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 01:24 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The latest Calibre and the latest noDRM plugin.

NoDRM is not a fork as such, rather it's a continuation of Alf's and Harper's work by another Apprentice. DeDRM is no longer updated, noDRM is instead.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2022, 01:54 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
DeDRM is no longer updated, noDRM is instead.
Technically the plugin is still called DeDRM. Apprentice Harper has passed responsibility for further updates to someone using the pen name NoDRM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:49 PM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the answers!

Now, a related question that probably doesn't deserve it's own thread:

How does everyone "prove in" a new version of Calibre? Do you simply install two versions of Calibre on the same computer? Does Calibre even allow that? - I would use completely separate data directories. Do you run the "test" version in a virtual machine or on an entirely separate computer? In the past, I have simply trusted that the new version would work fine, and upgraded right over my old version. But that was always minor dot releases where I didn't expect big changes (plus, I keep extensive daily backups of my computers that I could restore from as a last resort).

But now I'm looking at moving from Calibre 3.48 to Calibre 5.38 (on a Linux box, if that matters) ... quite the jump in versions. For large jumps like this, I don't typically use my "trust" method like I do for dot releases. I prefer a bit more testing/verification. In my case specifically, I am using Calibre-Web as my online access as opposed to the web server built into Calibre itself. So I want to verify that Calibre-Web will not be confused by any new database layout (if that occurred) introduced in Calibre 4 or 5.

Running two versions of Calibre on the same computer (using different data directories) would be the most convenient, but I could do the VM or separate computer route if that's more advisable.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:11 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@haertig Make one Calibre PORTABLE. That does not share the configuration folder (but you can copy an existing one TO portable
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2022, 04:11 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Please post Calibre threads in the Calibre forum. Moved from the General forum.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #7
haertig
Wizard

Thanks again. Yesterday I installed Calibre Portable and added the plugins I want to test. The installation went smoothly. Today I will start to do the actual testing.
Old 03-19-2022, 04:34 AM   #8
Leseratte_10
Groupie
Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB Era, PB InkPad 3 Pro
I've been planning to make my ACSM Input plugin compatible with Python 2, too, which should make it work in older Calibre versions. I have only tested that in Calibre 4 so far, and it's still not complete, but if you run into more issues with Calibre 5 during your testing and you have to stay on Calibre 3, you could also wait until I get my plugin updated for Python 2 and see if that works.

I haven't had that much time for my plugin in the last weeks, but I'll take a look again soon-ish and see if I can finally get the Python 2 version ready.
Leseratte_10 is offline   Reply With Quote