Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-29-2022, 06:53 PM   #1
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast
HappyCalibreUser began at the beginning.

Device: none
I clicked on the X in the Editor File Preview Window

My fault, pure cluminess on my part.

Of course it disappeared. I've tried looking on the Editor page, trying to find an answer in the Calibre Manual, looking online how to correct my mistake, and looked on the forums, but maybe I'm not searching correctly, or I'm overlooking the obvious. Or, not understand what I was reading.

So I signed in and hope someone will take pity and maybe tell me what I can do to correct this? Please?
HappyCalibreUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See the "View" menu it allows you to open/close all the different panels in the editor.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast

Thank you for your prompt reply, sir.

Current Calibre versio is 5.35

[The "View" menu it allows you to open/close all the different panels in the editor.]

I must be dumber than a rock. I've loooked on the editors page where I work on any books, and gone outside the Editor, as well.

The Editor's page, upper left-hand:
1. New file
2. Open book
3. Save
4. < Revert to start
5. > Revert to
6. Create checkpoint
7. Donate to support calibre managent
8. User Manual
9. Check Book
10. Check spelling
11. Edit Table of Contents
12. Insert special character
13. Manage fonts
14. Smarten punctuation
15. Remove unused CSS rules
16. Reports
17. Preferences for Edit book *

* 'Allow dockable windows to be nested inside the dock areas' is 'checked'.

I can't locate the "View" menu.

On the main Editor page where I work on books, I can see:
File browser on the left
The normally center "editor page"
My now 'missing' preview page where it used to be

I apologize for taking over an hour since your response, but I was trying to do what you said.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:26 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Weird. Those are entries that usually are Sub-Menu items of
File | Edit | Tools | View | Search | Plugins | Help[
Most of View is Tick boxes (enable to show item)
You might try a Resore current defaults (In EDITOR: Control-p):Toolbars (a side item)

BTW What OS
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:01 PM   #5
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast

OS is:
Mac mini
Processor 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDr3
Mac OS 10.15.7

Sorry. Appreciate the help, if I did it correct, nothing happened. Re-checked: Allow dockable windows inside the dock areas. Even did a Calibre restart.

January 2021 spouse rebuilt the mini after I stopped using it for a year with a better insides, etc.

Before that I was having issues for months with the computer and external harddrive wasn't doing what I know it should be doing. She works as a customer service tech for a large company as one of their top go-to's. It happened when she was getting hit from complaining customer's, several repeat family member's, and friends all fuming for her aid - at no cost. Been there, done that.

Her 'snap' at the time there's nothing wrong with your computer, you just don't know how to use Calibre.

This is not a complaint, I've worked in a customer field.

I was missing Calibre bad after a year and not online, and asked her to help me restart everything as she has the house servers and computers locked down and under admin control. So what I can practice or do is limited.

She sat down at my mini-office I've created in the living room Jan. 2021 first day, and immediately stated the obvious, "This isn't working right." Lost anything saved on the computer and the external. And what I had been moving to the house server was sadly not even close to all there because of the issues.

So I got everything working again and Calibre restarted for a year.

Jennifer isn't a tyrant but I hate to ask if I can fix and learn something myself.

I tend to fix my own mistakes when I can. I'm not a bright bulb on the tree but I do tend to figure things out in time, sort of. But this one has me thinking, I may have to ask her to reload Calibre again, and then I can relink to the library?

I really do love Calibre, and can do probably 75-80% of what it's capable of. Beside cleaning up books and using some css manually sometimes if there is a tweet needed, I can control the ebook viewer for epubs, comic books, generate virtural libraries, move easily between libraries, work with a huge multiple formatted library, I mean I had over 100,000 books & comic books before the 'Big Crash" in one Calibe library and it worked great. I can mostly handle the cover grid, menu actions, move books back and forth between my ereader, selected the font I use on the Search & sort add page, hide & retrieve columns, handle the Tags exactly as I want them, seem to be able to handle the searches, check for multiple books. Even the book details section I've played around changing things there: color background for comments an/or tags, etc., Enlarged the Tags TEXT only. Tried this, tried that - But I admit, I always come back to Kovid's original plan, it's pretty and IT WORKS!

Sorry, I won't say so much anymore. Just enjoy explaing to anyone how much I enjoy Calibre.
Advert
Old 01-30-2022, 05:07 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCalibreUser View Post

I can't locate the "View" menu.
That's because you're looking at the button bars rather than the menus

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-31 090403.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	192031

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:23 PM   #7
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

NO Edit or below that - the File/Edit, etc's.

With the editor open I Finally located it on the monitor screen on top where it shows firefox and so forth. I was overlooking it when I looked there before.

But there I found: File/View and now I have the Preview back.

Command/p takes me to the Preferences for Edit book, but I can't find to Customize like the Menu bar I see on your Editor.

But no matter. I'm HAPPY again.

And I've learned something new.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:55 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCalibreUser View Post
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

NO Edit or below that - the File/Edit, etc's.

With the editor open I Finally located it on the monitor screen on top where it shows firefox and so forth. I was overlooking it when I looked there before.

But there I found: File/View and now I have the Preview back.

Command/p takes me to the Preferences for Edit book, but I can't find to Customize like the Menu bar I see on your Editor.

But no matter. I'm HAPPY again.

And I've learned something new.
You're on a Mac and I'm on Windows - I hide button bars, the only reason I had them in the screen shot was that I'd just confirmed that you (and others) were looking at the buttons rather than the menus.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:29 AM   #9
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast

Thanks again BetterRed, Kovid, & theducks for your help. Each one of you kept me interested and re-examining the screen until I found the fix.

BetterRed's image helped me to visualize that I was missing something on the Editor.

I wonder if sometime last year when I was practicing how to use Calibre if I could have erased the 'add-on' link's in Preferences for Edit book to create the 2 menu bars I see on your Editor?

I was using whatever version was new the last week of December 2020, for a year.

Updated to 5.35.0 Friday Jan 28. So maybe the update left whatever I missed up as it was.

But, whatever, I'm running at full steam again.