Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Boox Note Air 2,Galaxy TAB A7, Galaxy Note 8 Tablet
Kobo Forma: seeking heads up as to any probs

Can someone please give me a quick run-down of the known downsides of the Forma?

(Just enough for me to google will do!)

For example:
* I heard there was a problem with uneven lighting on the screen with some units.
* Is the Forma screen as good as the Libra 1 (which I am happy with the quality of)

NOTE: there are no Australian stores that have demo models of either the Forma or the Sage

1. I have the Libra 1 that I was quite happy with EXCEPT that:
a) 6 GB was not enough space for my books
b) I wouldn't mind a larger screen for PDFs

2. I was considering the Sage (for the 32GB and bigger screen), but:

a) It's heavier than the Libra (by 50g) and I found that the smaller weight of the Libra got me reading alot more - and I can't even try a Sage here in Oz

b) the Forma is about the same weight as Libra

c) there are concerns about the battery life of the Sage

d) I might be able to get the 32GB Forma discounted, from the UK

e) I don't really NEED writing, since I have a Boox Note Air 2, which is an amazing writing/annotating device and I just realised: if you are going to note, you need two hands anyway, so a weightier device is okay

f) I heard the Sage can't read-aloud sideloaded books, and almost ALL my books are sideloaded
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:32 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3
The screen of the Forma is certainly not worse than the Libra 1. If anything, it's better. But yes, the frontlight was uneven on some devices. Then again, so was the frontlight on the Libra 1.

If all you want is a larger screen, get a Forma. From what I've read, the Forma is not as good contrast-wise as the new Kobos (Sage and Libra 2), but that may not be important to you.

Still, the Forma is 3 years old and I wouldn't pay the full price for it. YMMV.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #3
Joliet Jake
Connoisseur
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
Can someone please give me a quick run-down of the known downsides of the Forma?
I wonder how many people have a Forma and a Libra?

Quote:
(Just enough for me to google will do!)

For example:
* I heard there was a problem with uneven lighting on the screen with some units.
Yes. That hasn't happened to me though.

Quote:
* Is the Forma screen as good as the Libra 1 (which I am happy with the quality of)
Review sites say they're identical.

Quote:

1. I have the Libra 1 that I was quite happy with EXCEPT that:
a) 6 GB was not enough space for my books
b) I wouldn't mind a larger screen for PDFs

2. I was considering the Sage (for the 32GB and bigger screen), but:

a) It's heavier than the Libra (by 50g) and I found that the smaller weight of the Libra got me reading alot more - and I can't even try a Sage here in Oz

b) the Forma is about the same weight as Libra

c) there are concerns about the battery life of the Sage

d) I might be able to get the 32GB Forma discounted, from the UK

e) I don't really NEED writing, since I have a Boox Note Air 2, which is an amazing writing/annotating device and I just realised: if you are going to note, you need two hands anyway, so a weightier device is okay

f) I heard the Sage can't read-aloud sideloaded books, and almost ALL my books are sideloaded
The Sage cannot read out sideloaded audiobooks. (Actually, there's a way to do it, but the Sage will not remember your place in the book.)
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Please keep in mind that I do not own a Forma.

Here are three downsides to purchasing a Forma:

1) The device was introduced in Nov. 2018 and, although still listed as being for sale, the Sage has effectively 'replaced' the Forma.

2) The 'Wedge of Woe' light issue.

3) The price has been lowered to approx. $209.99, ($40 off the regular price) for the 8-gig unit, but it is still too high in the opinion of some people.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:44 PM   #5
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LivresInOz can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliet Jake View Post
The Sage cannot read out sideloaded audiobooks. (Actually, there's a way to do it, but the Sage will not remember your place in the book.)
Can you give me more details?
Is it a third-party app, a hack?

I'm moderately tech-savvy and have used Koreader and Plato...
Advert
Old 12-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, iPad Pro, Tolino
Quote:
Can you give me more details?
Is it a third-party app, a hack?

I'm moderately tech-savvy and have used Koreader and Plato...
You might want to check a thread started by @davidfor called Sideloading Audiobooks thread.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:49 PM   #7
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Thanks all !

It seems the over-riding problem now is that I cant even buy the 32 GB Forma in Australia, because Kobo NEVER EVEN OFFERED IT - only the 8GB.

Kobo are treating Australians like second-class citizens.
I may make a separate post about this complaint.

Even though US customers can now get the 32 GB Forma for $US 250, the only way I can find to get it is through Goodereader at $US 460 posted, which is OTT and alot more than the Sage!
Old 12-01-2021, 10:50 PM   #8
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

BTW re contrast: Koreader adjusts the contrast very well.

(At least on my Libra H20 (i.e Libra 1)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:56 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks all !

It seems the over-riding problem now is that I cant even buy the 32 GB Forma in Australia, because Kobo NEVER EVEN OFFERED IT - only the 8GB.

Kobo are treating Australians like second-class citizens. I may make a separate post about this complaint.

Even though US customers can now get the 32 GB Forma for $US 250, the only way I can find to get it is through Goodereader at $US 460 posted, which is OTT and alot more than the Sage!
Considering that on Kobo's Canadian site, the Forma 32GB is listed as $289.99 Cdn/$226.65 US while the Sage is listed at $299.99 Cdn/234.36 US, I can't see buying the Forma as being a sensible decision.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:09 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
No Kobo device does TTS, which is the only meaning of "read-aloud" in that sentence that makes sense. The Elipsa, Sage and Libra 2 can play Audiobooks, both from Kobo and sideloaded (with some restrictions on the latter), but that is not the same a "read-aloud".

Quote:
Thanks all !
Kobo are treating Australians like second-class citizens.[/B] I may make a separate post about this complaint.
Please don't. Complaining that a company didn't want to sell the premium version of a product in a country that is barely buying the base version is pretty pointless. Complaining to the company might be reasonable, but, this is not the place to do that. Kobo has no presence here.

Quote:
(At least on my Libra H20 (i.e Libra 1)
Really? You use the correct name and then try to pass off a fake and meaningless name for the same device? Why the hell would you want to waste your time like that. Just use the actual name of the device. That way you won't need to clarify it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:16 AM   #11
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Really? You use the correct name and then try to pass off a fake and meaningless name for the same device? Why the hell would you want to waste your time like that. Just use the actual name of the device. That way you won't need to clarify it.
Why are you harassing me? Im just trying to be helpful by making it clear I am referring to the first gen Kobo!

Trying to be HELPFUL.

Is the first gen the ONLY Libra called H20?

If so, feel free to CLARIFY that.

Frankly, I'm a Libra owner and -I- dont know the best way to differentiate the two. For all I know the second one could be called H20 as well. I dont see why not, considering its probably also waterproof.

Personally I'm not someone who feels they have to remember someone's user name and hold a grudge. I have a life.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:24 AM   #12
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Forma, Libra2, LibraH20, ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
The Forma has a really bad power button, it’s hard to press and only works some of the time. I keep my Forma in a sleep cover so I never (so far anyway) have to use the power button.

Please note: I do care how many people talk about what device has a better screen, more contrast etc, all E-Ink e-readers can have badly lighted screens. I’ve had most e-readers, including the new Sage, and the only e-readers I’ve ever had that had a good screen out of the box is my Kindle Voyage and my Kindle Oasis 3. My Sage had an awful yellow tinted screen yet everyone else raves about it. Just be careful where you buy from in case you need to return it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:50 AM   #13
Deobulakenyo
Addict
Deobulakenyo is a rising star in the heavensDeobulakenyo is a rising star in the heavensDeobulakenyo is a rising star in the heavensDeobulakenyo is a rising star in the heavensDeobulakenyo is a rising star in the heavensDeobulakenyo is a rising star in the heavensDeobulakenyo is a rising star in the heavensDeobulakenyo is a rising star in the heavensDeobulakenyo is a rising star in the heavensDeobulakenyo is a rising star in the heavensDeobulakenyo is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The Forma has a really bad power button, it’s hard to press and only works some of the time. I keep my Forma in a sleep cover so I never (so far anyway) have to use the power button.

Please note: I do care how many people talk about what device has a better screen, more contrast etc, all E-Ink e-readers can have badly lighted screens. I’ve had most e-readers, including the new Sage, and the only e-readers I’ve ever had that had a good screen out of the box is my Kindle Voyage and my Kindle Oasis 3. My Sage had an awful yellow tinted screen yet everyone else raves about it. Just be careful where you buy from in case you need to return it.
The Libra 2 has amazing screen. My eyes are sensitive to such screen unformity issues and i have all praises my Libra 2's screen.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:47 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Why are you harassing me? Im just trying to be helpful by making it clear I am referring to the first gen Kobo!

Trying to be HELPFUL.

Frankly, I'm a Libra owner and -I- dont know the best way to differentiate the two. For all I know the second one could be called H20 as well. I dont see why not, considering its probably also waterproof.

Personally I'm not someone who feels they have to remember someone's user name and hold a grudge. I have a life.
As for the chances that someone in this forum not knowing the Libra H₂O is the older variant while the Libra 2 is the newer one? Pretty slim, IMNSHO.

So no, it is not the Libra H₂O 2, it's the Libra 2. Perhaps Kobo learned from the Kobo Aura H2O and the Kobo Aura H2O edition 2 as one example of their at times confusing naming convention.

And, BTW, the Libra H₂O was not the first generation Kobo. That was simply called the Kobo eReader released back in May, 2010. It worked very well with my Blackberry over Bluetooth but had some weird quirks such as a dislike for using an ' in a title (A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court for instance).
Old 12-02-2021, 03:28 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Trying to be HELPFUL.

Have I commented on this before to you? Not to my knowledge. But no, I am not harassing you. I commented because for some reason you chose to "clarify" the name of a device with a name that does not exist. While you claim to be trying to be helpful, the fact that you state above that you do not actually know what the devices are makes this questionable. You have claiming to make it clear you are referring "to the first gen Kobo" but then you ask me to clear that up. How is you using terms you do not understand helpful?

But, Kobo does not do "generations" like Amazon. Kobo name each of their devices and there is not necessarily anything that links them. If you want to understand this, look at all the different "Aura"s. There are three different screen sizes, at least three resolutions, some are waterproof, some not, some have flush screens, some don't, some use IR touch and some capacitive. And if Kobo did "generations", the "first gen" device would be the "Kobo eReader" or something like that.

As to the "Libra", there have so far been two Kobo devices whose name starts with "Libra". The are call the "Libra H2O" and the "Libra 2". There has been no device called the "Libra 1". Nowhere, except in some posts here, will you find that designation. Calling the "Libra H2O" by the name "Libra 1" does not improve understanding in any way. Making up names for these devices only confuses things.

Now, if you don't know which device you have, then look at it. Kobo prints the name on the edge somewhere. Usually on the edge with the USB port. Or you could open the settings on the device. The last option will tell you what device you have. For your current one, it should say "About Kobo Libra H2O". If we use the correct name, everyone will know what we are all talking about and not have to do some mapping between invented names.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote