Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
How to download Collections

Somehow I wiped my Kindle Oasis, and I would really like to get the collections back. I found them in manage your content and devices, but I cannot figure out how to get them back on my Oasis. When I hit All on my library on my kindle, I get an unwieldy number of books, and I get bored with scrolling before I find any collections.

I also hate the newest software update. Is there any easy way to go back to the last one (without actually jailbreaking)?

Thanks,

Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Somehow I wiped my Kindle Oasis, and I would really like to get the collections back. I found them in manage your content and devices, but I cannot figure out how to get them back on my Oasis. When I hit All on my library on my kindle, I get an unwieldy number of books, and I get bored with scrolling before I find any collections.

I also hate the newest software update. Is there any easy way to go back to the last one (without actually jailbreaking)?

Thanks,

Debra
On the Library page, select Filter, then scroll down and select Collections. Make sure you’re on All, and not Downloaded.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But how can I download all the collections/ I never read with my wifi on?

Thanks, Debra
Old 11-20-2021, 07:18 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''
There is no way at all to go back to the earlier firmware, easy or hard. Also it's not possible to jailbreak the latest firmware. So, unfortunately you're stuck with this update.

Sorry, don't know about collections, as I don't use the Amazon cloud for anything.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:32 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Arg!!! As far as I can tell, I have to individually hit each one while wifi is on. Since I have 150 books in 20 collections, this will take forever! It is good they keep them in the cloud, but they shouldn't be so hard to get back. I wonder if most people read with wifi on?
Advert
Old 11-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wonder if most people read with wifi on?
Most people? I'm sure. Most MR members? Don't think so.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:42 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

You are probably right. I have all my books downloaded and in nice little categories. Amazon insists on keeping some books I have which are part of a series out of categories. I may delete those books, just because. I really hate the new software. I usually read in bed, and if I have to do anything, I have to put my glasses on and turn up the brightness.

Yes, I will delete those books, and load a bunch of other books on. Because I wanted to clean everything up last night and wanted to read Dopesick, I couldn't remember where I categorized that. Nonfiction, no. I put it in suspense and thrillers. That is the problem with categories.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You are probably right. I have all my books downloaded and in nice little categories. Amazon insists on keeping some books I have which are part of a series out of categories. I may delete those books, just because. I really hate the new software. I usually read in bed, and if I have to do anything, I have to put my glasses on and turn up the brightness.

Yes, I will delete those books, and load a bunch of other books on. Because I wanted to clean everything up last night and wanted to read Dopesick, I couldn't remember where I categorized that. Nonfiction, no. I put it in suspense and thrillers. That is the problem with categories.
I just use search to find a book. It's much faster than collections (unless I remember nothing about title or author, but in that case I look it up in Calibre.) Collections on eink readers are pretty unwieldy. I've given up on them on my Oasis. Too many books and collections become kind of pointless.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #9
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Forma, Libra2, LibraH20, ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Arg!!! As far as I can tell, I have to individually hit each one while wifi is on. Since I have 150 books in 20 collections, this will take forever! It is good they keep them in the cloud, but they shouldn't be so hard to get back. I wonder if most people read with wifi on?

It does work quite quickly. Once it’s done just turn WiFi off. Just remember the downloading and syncing will drain your battery so best to keep it topped up.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:01 PM   #10
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Forma, Libra2, LibraH20, ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I just use search to find a book. It's much faster than collections (unless I remember nothing about title or author, but in that case I look it up in Calibre.) Collections on eink readers are pretty unwieldy. I've given up on them on my Oasis. Too many books and collections become kind of pointless.
I can’t survive without collections. I even have a priority reading one which I regularly purge so it’s not too big. I have over a thousand books on my Oasis in about 30 collections. I even have a Series Next collection so I don’t read a series out of order. The next one is in its genre, any more and they are in series next.

Of course it doesn’t help that I’ve read nothing but fan fiction on my Kobo’s for the last year
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:53 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I can’t survive without collections. I even have a priority reading one which I regularly purge so it’s not too big. I have over a thousand books on my Oasis in about 30 collections. I even have a Series Next collection so I don’t read a series out of order. The next one is in its genre, any more and they are in series next.

Of course it doesn’t help that I’ve read nothing but fan fiction on my Kobo’s for the last year
For series numbering I use the Calibre metadata plugboard, to attach the series and number to the title.

I used to use collections pretty extensively too, but manual management became too cumbersome at some point, and as I sideload everything from Calibre, the cloud collections are not an option.

On my Kobos I still use collections, but only because the management is automatic, I don't have to to anything on the device itself. Still, I use search to find books even on my Kobos. It's just faster.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #12
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Arg!!! As far as I can tell, I have to individually hit each one while wifi is on. Since I have 150 books in 20 collections, this will take forever!
You can go to amazon.com/manageyourkindle and download the lot from there in big chunks (hundreds at a time). It's a *lot* less tiresome. If you have your Kindle wifi on while you do it you should note them starting to come down while you're still bashing the rest. (I think you only have to download the collections themselves, i.e. the "buckets for books" but not the books within them, from the Kindle user interface.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:10 PM   #13
DuskyRose
Fanatic
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura, Ipad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
You can go to amazon.com/manageyourkindle and download the lot from there in big chunks (hundreds at a time).
I can only download 25 at a time from my collections in the "Manage Your Kindle" page. When inside a collection, I've found that 'Select All' only selected the 25 shown on the page at one time. I needed to go to the next page and 'Select All' again to get those books.

(I really, really hate that they've limited it to 25 per page. If there is a way to up it to 50 or more, I'd love to know.)

If you've got 100 books in that collection, you'll have to 'Select All' and send them to your kindle in wifi in four batches for that collection.

And it'll take a while. It's a slow process.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #14
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I can only download 25 at a time from my collections in the "Manage Your Kindle" page. When inside a collection, I've found that 'Select All' only selected the 25 shown on the page at one time. I needed to go to the next page and 'Select All' again to get those books.

(I really, really hate that they've limited it to 25 per page. If there is a way to up it to 50 or more, I'd love to know.)

If you've got 100 books in that collection, you'll have to 'Select All' and send them to your kindle in wifi in four batches for that collection.

And it'll take a while. It's a slow process.
This stuff is totally country-specific: they appear to have completely reimplemented the entire manageyourkindle website several times, and different countries have different implementations. The UK version has 200 items per page (well, at least it does for me: maybe it's customizable somewhere and I changed it, but if so it was years ago and I no longer remember).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:26 AM   #15
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
I think the 25 at a time thing is about 6 months old. I actually prefer this to the progressive loading thing that was there before).

But then I don’t have a use case to send a bunch of books at once to a Kindle; it’s just not something I have done, or can imagine wanting to do.

FWIW Kindle for iOS lets you download everything in a given collection. Maybe they’ll some day add this feature to Kindle (though it could render your Kindle unusable for some hours while it indexes everything).

Last edited by tomsem; 11-25-2021 at 01:31 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote