Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
kutusov
Enthusiast
kutusov began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Cute little ereader for the other half?

As the tittle says, something cute and small, good for traveling. I was looking at the Pocketbook Touch Lux 5 in red but I really don't much about these entry level devices. Judging from the price, the Touch HD 3 are better?

An important thing would also be how quick it responds, she has very little patience and slowness is something I'm seeing her give up on the device for.

My rational side actually thinks she would get along better with a Kobo Libra but, on the other hand, it's not... a cute device
kutusov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutusov View Post
As the tittle says, something cute and small, good for traveling. I was looking at the Pocketbook Touch Lux 5 in red but I really don't much about these entry level devices. Judging from the price, the Touch HD 3 are better?
The HD 3 is better than the Lux 5. It has a higher resolution screen and is waterproof.

You might also look at a Kobo Clara. It is a compact little reader and you could likely find a cute cover for it.

Quote:
An important thing would also be how quick it responds, she has very little patience and slowness is something I'm seeing her give up on the device for.
If speed is more important than the rest, look at the new Kindle Paperwhite. Not the cutest thing. But again, you could probably find the right cover to fix that.

I prefer Kobo to Kindle, but the new Paperwhite is fast (for an e-ink device).

You know, if they weren't so old and impossible to find (in the U.S. at least), I'd say the Bookeen Saga/Nolim is the cutest reader ever made. They came built in to their own silicone case available in several colors (the image below shows only four, but I have also seen orange and red and I think green). I'd still love to get my hands on one.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-20-2021 at 12:47 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I believe the previous gen Kindle Paperwhites come in a few different colors (which may be considered cute?)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
kutusov
Enthusiast

Those Bookeen would have been great, I know she would love it...

I'm a bit afraid of getting a Kindle as that would involve converting EPUB to MOBI (or whatever the new format is). Portuguese book stores only sell EPUBs AFAIK. But I know I'm going to be the one sideloading books, so...

I have to get it this week as she is going away on holiday next Saturday . It will have to be a nice ereader-cover combo readily available on Aamazon. I guess the cover will have to do on the cute department

Thanks guys!
Old 11-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Given you would be buying ePub, Kobo is the best choice. If the Libra 2 fits in her bag, then get that one. The screen is really good (according to reviews and users). Plus, it's a similar size to the Clara HD. The Libra 2 is just slightly larger in the width and smaller in height.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #6
kutusov
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given you would be buying ePub, Kobo is the best choice. If the Libra 2 fits in her bag, then get that one. The screen is really good (according to reviews and users). Plus, it's a similar size to the Clara HD. The Libra 2 is just slightly larger in the width and smaller in height.
I can still get the Libra H20. It seems slimmer and lighter but apparently the Libra 2 has a better screen. Not that I think the screen makes a difference in real life if you don't have them side by side. Any other obvious difference tween the two?

PS: I can't find a single Libra 2 on Amazon.es. Are they the same between the H20 and 2?
Old 11-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
I can still get the Libra H20. It seems slimmer and lighter but apparently the Libra 2 has a better screen. Not that I think the screen makes a difference in real life if you don't have them side by side. Any other obvious difference tween the two?

PS: I can't find a single Libra 2 on Amazon.es. Are they the same between the H20 and 2?
Yes, the screen is better on the Libra 2. They are not the same. The Libra 2 is a different shape and a better screen.

I had a look and here's a link to the Libra 2 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B09HSRGZRL
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
kutusov
Enthusiast

Oh, sorry, I meant Libra 2 covers but apparently didn't type the word. If they have different shapes, then covers are not backward compatible.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:38 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''
Quote:
Oh, sorry, I meant Libra 2 covers but apparently didn't type the word. If they have different shapes, then covers are not backward compatible.
The covers certainly aren't compatible.

As I have both Libras, I can confirm that the Libra 2 has a gorgeous screen. Much better than the older Libra or the latest Kindle Oasis. It's a joy to read on.

The difference in thickness is negligible, but the Libra 2 is very slightly taller.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:10 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The covers certainly aren't compatible.

As I have both Libras, I can confirm that the Libra 2 has a gorgeous screen. Much better than the older Libra or the latest Kindle Oasis. It's a joy to read on.

The difference in thickness is negligible, but the Libra 2 is very slightly taller.

What about those beautiful covers available for the Tolino Vision 6? Can anyone confirm if they will fit on the Kobo Libra 2? (It looks like they will.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-21-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #11
kutusov
Enthusiast

Well, just bought her a Libra 2 and a lavender original cover from the local Fnac. Had to break my promise never to buy from them again too. Last time I bought a Forma that wouldn't turn off and they didn't want to replace it less than 24 hours after.

This Libra looks very nice though, I'm actually envious of her
Old 11-23-2021, 12:38 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
What about those beautiful covers available for the Tolino Vision 6? Can anyone confirm if they will fit on the Kobo Libra 2? (It looks like they will.)
It looks like the vision 6 and Libra 2 are identical externally, so they should work. The only concern would be if the magnet for the sleep was in a different place.

And I can't see a link to the covers. I'm sure I saw them before, but, I can't see a link on the tolino site.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:24 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, iPad Pro, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It looks like the vision 6 and Libra 2 are identical externally, so they should work. The only concern would be if the magnet for the sleep was in a different place.

And I can't see a link to the covers. I'm sure I saw them before, but, I can't see a link on the tolino site.
In the Tolino Vision 6 thread, message#26 from @kyôdai links to Vision 6 covers from the Hugendubel.de site. A search on that site shows seven slim fit covers and four origami covers. Quite a few of the covers show as not available.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #14
kutusov
Enthusiast

I like those slimfit ones. The green is quite nice
Old 11-26-2021, 10:10 PM   #15
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I just got the Boox Leaf. It's just perfect.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote