Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-04-2021, 03:16 AM   #1
en2ec
en2ec began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Libra2, Sage or Note Air 2

I'm replacing an older Kindle paperwhite, and I've ruled out another Kindle. I live in Australia now, and Kobo is integrated with my local library via Overdrive (Kindle is NOT). So that's a big plus. An Android tablet can use overdrive, so the Onyx should be OK for this. Waterproofing is a nice plus but not a complete dealbreaker.

I like the idea of being able to write and take notes on an ereader. But in practice I'm not sure if I'd use it enough to justify the price above a Libra 2, which ticks all my boxes except for writing. The slightly larger Sage screen would be nice but if it didn't have stylus support it wouldn't be worth the extra money to me.

I will still primarily use it as an ereader. If I get a Sage or Note Air 2, I'd use the writing feature for work, making written comments on PDFs and as a replacement for pen and paper notes. But after the novelty wears off, is it really going to add to productivity or be more trouble than it is worth?

The Sage writing implementation seems a bit of an afterthought and maybe not good enough in a work context? I've also read that people are getting terrible battery life with their Sage.

The Onyx Boox Note Air 2 seems to tick a lot of boxes but I have no idea about battery life. I'm also concerned that the size is too big for my primary purpose of reading.

So. Stick with a basic but seemingly excellent ereader like the Libra 2. Or splurge at about 2x the cost here in Australia for a Sage or Note Air 2? And then maybe not use the extra features all that much?
en2ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:36 AM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by en2ec View Post

So. Stick with a basic but seemingly excellent ereader like the Libra 2. Or splurge at about 2x the cost here in Australia for a Sage or Note Air 2? And then maybe not use the extra features all that much?

I'm a VERY satisfied owner of a Libra H20, so when the new models came out, the Libra 2 was not enough of an upgrade to tempt me. I was interested in the Sage primarily for the larger screen, since I doubt I'll ever even buy a stylus for it. That said, purely as a reader I'm very happy that I did pay the extra. In my country, the Sage is about 160% the price of a Libra 2, so not double, happily. Since you MAY have a use for the stylus, I'd say it's worth seriously considering the Sage, to keep your options open. If you never would use the note-taking, then definitely the Libra 2 would be the way to go. Just my 0.00000032 Bitcoin
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2021, 03:49 AM   #3
en2ec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
price of a Libra 2, so not double, happily.
Thanks for you reply. The Sage itself isn't double, but after you add the stylus it is. I suppose I could do it incrementally and get the stylus later if I decide.

Have you been happy with the Sage battery life?
Old 11-04-2021, 04:03 AM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for you reply. The Sage itself isn't double, but after you add the stylus it is. I suppose I could do it incrementally and get the stylus later if I decide.

Have you been happy with the Sage battery life?

I think getting the stylus separately later makes sense, and as I've had my Sage for 10 hours, much of that plugged in to my PC for transferring books via Calibre, it's a bit soon for me to tell about battery life
Old 11-04-2021, 05:24 AM   #5
en2ec

I've eliminated the Onyx Boox for several reasons.

So now it is between the Sage and Libra 2. The sage plus sleep cover (without stylus) comes in at 500 AUD. Versus 328 for the Libra 2 with sleep cover. There's something about the 500 AUD price point that makes it hard to justify. The local price for the stylus is 129, so I'd be looking at 629 for a "complete" Sage.
Advert
Old 11-04-2021, 05:35 AM   #6
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
I've eliminated the Onyx Boox for several reasons.

So now it is between the Sage and Libra 2. The sage plus sleep cover (without stylus) comes in at 500 AUD. Versus 328 for the Libra 2 with sleep cover. There's something about the 500 AUD price point that makes it hard to justify. The local price for the stylus is 129, so I'd be looking at 629 for a "complete" Sage.
So it comes down to 2 questions: How much do you plan to use the stylus if you got one, and how important is the larger screen? There seems to be a consensus forming that the Libra 2 actually has a better screen, so if it's reading you're after, then you're very unlikely to be disappointed in saving the extra money by gonig for the smaller device
Old 11-04-2021, 09:51 AM   #7
psbernitz
Enthusiast
psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx Nova 2
I have exactly this question in my mind:

the Sage would be my obvious choice but I heard the following two problems:
-The screen is not as good as the Libra 2
-the battery life of the Libra 2 is much higher

Are these the only major differences between the two or are there other things?
psbernitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #8
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
The Libra2 has the better battery life. I wouldn't pick the Sage for note taking and PDF, as I have a better solution ( iPad : bigger screen, more responsive, color)
I think you should think more of you main usage which seems to be reading books.

if I were you, I would try the Libra2 first and see if it fits the reading needs.

Edit : screen quality wise Libra2 is slightly better indeed for contrast and better for lighting in ma case.

Last edited by Almamida; 11-04-2021 at 09:54 AM. Reason: adding information
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:09 AM   #9
en2ec

Thanks for the replies. I think the consensus here is right that for my primary use, I should stick to the Libra 2. The slightly larger screen on the Sage would be nice but isn't a big deal for reading books. And I've come to agree that it still isn't big enough for practical use with PDFs. So for my needs, I think the Libra 2 is the way to go.

At some point, I might end up getting a 10 inch writing-focused E-ink tablet for PDFs and notes, but trying to make the Sage do everything I need is asking too much.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #10
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Jack of all trades, Master of none. My opinion, and if you add two dollars to it then it might be worth a coffee, is to buy an ereader to read with. Other than a Swiss army knife there aren't too many things that do multiple tasks equally well. Pick the best for you ereader and enjoy your reading. If you need writing later buy the best for you writing solution. Gambling and trying to accomplish both very possibly means no better than good on one or both but not best for you. Good luck with your decision(s).
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:45 AM   #11
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
You are absolutely correct about your observation: "The Sage writing implementation seems a bit of an afterthought and maybe not good enough in a work context." My operating principle is don't get half-assed pen devices that aren't based on a real CPU that can keep up with you, without causing latency. If you want a pen-based device, get an Ipad.

Agree with your decision to not get another Kindle. Libra 2 is what I'd go with if just getting one. I really like my new Libra 2, probably my fave e-ink device ever though I did like my former Kobo Forma.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
libra 2, onyx boox note air 2, sage