Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #1
blaser
Enthusiast
blaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Kindle DX USB not working

I have kindle DX B009, version 3.3 and I was always connected a usb to the computer and was able to transfer book via direct drive or calibre.
Last time I check was yesterday and the computer doesn't see the kindle anymore and the kindle doesn't switch to usb mode.
I hear the sound from the computer that a device is attached but I cannot find anything under device manager.
I have also a kindle oasis, connecting it to the same computer works fine.

any ideas how to resolve this?
blaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaser View Post
I have kindle DX B009, version 3.3 and I was always connected a usb to the computer and was able to transfer book via direct drive or calibre.
Last time I check was yesterday and the computer doesn't see the kindle anymore and the kindle doesn't switch to usb mode.
I hear the sound from the computer that a device is attached but I cannot find anything under device manager.
I have also a kindle oasis, connecting it to the same computer works fine.

any ideas how to resolve this?
Have you tried a different cable or a different computer? Does the port seem loose?
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2021, 11:16 AM   #3
blaser
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Have you tried a different cable or a different computer? Does the port seem loose?
As a matter of fact yes, I tried 3 different cables and 3 different computers, all worked with the kindle oasis, none worked with the DX
Old 08-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
As a matter of fact yes, I tried 3 different cables and 3 different computers, all worked with the kindle oasis, none worked with the DX
Does the charging LED on the DXG turn on when you connect with the USB cable?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:36 PM   #5
blaser
Enthusiast

Quick update.
I did a full factory reset and that solved the problem, I can see the kindle now.
The only problem I have now is registering, how do I do it, I tried couple of times but if didn't work, I assume no 3G anymore.
I disabled the 2 step verification already.
Any ideas what to do?

Last edited by blaser; 08-06-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Advert
Old 08-06-2021, 05:30 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It won't register till it gets the correct time& date from a GSM (International version) or 3G mast/network. Or there are ways to set the time & date if it's jailbroken.

And unless you can register via a Kindle program and USB, you need Mobile to register.

Three stupid design decisions considering it was for the Educational Market:
1) No GUI to set date & Time.
2) No WiFi
3) No text or data file that could be copied via USB mass storage to optionally configure time, date, user, WiFi Settings, collections, and whatever else.

Also stupidly big minimum margins on every Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #7
blaser
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It won't register till it gets the correct time& date from a GSM (International version) or 3G mast/network. Or there are ways to set the time & date if it's jailbroken.

And unless you can register via a Kindle program and USB, you need Mobile to register.

Three stupid design decisions considering it was for the Educational Market:
1) No GUI to set date & Time.
2) No WiFi
3) No text or data file that could be copied via USB mass storage to optionally configure time, date, user, WiFi Settings, collections, and whatever else.

Also stupidly big minimum margins on every Kindle.
Thank you.
Amazon is telling me it is too old to register.
I remember I jailbroke it many years ago but it is version 3.3 now and not sure if it was updated by amazon automatically or b me.
How do I verify that it is still JB?
Also you mentioned few options, how?

Last edited by blaser; 08-07-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

It's likely either out of date FW (earlier than 2.58) or certificates (see Kindle Services Update).
Or invalid. The Kindle DX should not have FW 3.3

Quote:
Kindle DX (2nd Generation)

Your serial number starts with B004 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Your serial number starts with B005 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Your serial number starts with B009 download this file.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #9
blaser
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
See https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

It's likely either out of date FW (earlier than 2.58) or certificates (see Kindle Services Update).
Or invalid. The Kindle DX should not have FW 3.3
mine starts with B009 and it is version 3.3
I think I followed these instructions, but it was many years ago and stopped in version 3.3
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=263894

installed version 2.58 from backup, same problem of registering, I will find a different solution.

Last edited by blaser; 08-07-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:37 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
installed version 2.58 from backup, same problem of registering, I will find a different solution.
You need also the service update AND the date and time to be correct. A B009 is a DXG, which certainly registered recently. I replaced the battery in mine and re-registered it recently. A B009 came out after the Kindle Keyboard 3, B008. Unless Amazon changed something very recently the CS person is talking rubbish.
I also recently re-registered an older B008 (KK3).

It will connect to the storefront but won't register if the date & time is wrong. AFAIK you need working local 3G (and/or GSM for the International version).
Old 08-08-2021, 07:30 AM   #11
blaser
Enthusiast

Quick update.
the problem was the time on the kindle which was stuck at 1970, I installed usbNetwork, activated it, logged in and date the date time, now it is registered.