Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2021, 01:53 PM   #1
Fozziebear40
Fozziebear40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Would you still buy a Forma?

Hi, I have a Kobo Libra H20. I love e-reading now. I was thinking of getting a Forma, a bigger screen and flush bezels but an older machine and more expensive. (I have seen it for £199) Should I wait for an updated Forma?
Fozziebear40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozziebear40 View Post
Hi, I have a Kobo Libra H20. I love e-reading now. I was thinking of getting a Forma, a bigger screen and flush bezels but an older machine and more expensive. (I have seen it for £199) Should I wait for an updated Forma?
How do you come up with an "older machine"?
It differs only in the larger and not fragile screen and the other housing from Libra - even the weight is pretty much the same.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If my Forma broke I'd probably buy a replacement and not wait. But the alternative if I decided to wait would be the Kindle Oasis I have that's collecting dust, which is an extremely inferior ereader in my opinion. But your situation isn't the same so this probably isn't a helpful answer.

Last edited by hobnail; 06-17-2021 at 02:15 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have the Libra as well and I'm certainly going to wait for the next Forma.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:21 PM   #5
Fozziebear40
Fozziebear40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
How do you come up with an "older machine"?
I thought the Forma came out in 2018 before the Libra? 3 years is a long product cycle.
Fozziebear40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #6
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozziebear40 View Post
I thought the Forma came out in 2018 before the Libra? 3 years is a long product cycle.
Three years is not a long time in the e-reader world. The tech level doesn't change much because little needs changing. Epubs and PDFs are old tech. E-ink has worked well for quite a few years. The lighting is pretty standard. Now I find myself thinking of USB-C ports and maybe Bluetooth (which is itself not that new, but is new for Kobo).

I got a Forma because I wanted an e-reader with buttons. I feel like I spent $20 0extra, $100 for buttons and $100 for a larger screen. I bought two used Nooks, and both had battery issues. Otherwise those old e-readers worked as fine as a Nook could work in Canada. (There's some slight issues with Barnes & Noble here.) I bought the Forma as soon as it was available because of said battery issue.

I don't know how long a Kobo's batteries normally last, but I suspect it's around five years, and it's probably the reason e-readers eventually must be switched. You could buy a Forma now, but if it's used the battery life will be affected by up to two and a half years. It depends on how much you want/need a larger screen. I have poor vision, but I could read a Nook comfortably simply by using a larger font. However, I wouldn't want to read a manga on that Nook (which was 6 inches, IIRC).
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:04 PM   #7
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
i wouldn't buy the Forma or the Libra because i don't like the design/shape of either of them. that being said though i do like the fact the Forma should be more durable with it have a plastic substrate.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #8
Lusephur
Connoisseur
Lusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Bought the Forma even though at the time I had qualms about the form factor. But, now, if it broke I would certainly miss it and would be looking to replace it immediately.
Once the slide to unlock function was disabled via the conf file, it has been nothing but a dream to read on.
Lusephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:22 PM   #9
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
I have a Forma now which replaced an Aura One that had problems with a loose USB connector.

The Forma beats the Aura One in that it has a larger screen size (8 inches vs 7.8 inches) and a lighter weight. The battery is also supposed to be better but I never had any problems with the Aura One.

The Aura One beats the Forma in the fact that it is ergonomically designed better. The on/off switch never gets accidentally activated while reading like it does on the Format. It doesn't need the buttons and doesn't waste space on them.

Overall if my Forma crapped out and someone gave me the choice of another Forma or a Kobo One I'd take the Aura One.

However that ain't gonna happen so were my Forma to crap out I'd replace it with another Forma. My wife has a Kindle Oasis but I'd rate the Forma as a better option.

I'd love to see a 9 or 10 inch e-reader with 300DPI and a form factor like that of the Aura One with a bit more configurability in the software.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:38 AM   #10
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
I would totally buy a new one. It's the only one with a plastic substrate in Kobo's stable as far as I know. That makes it MUCH more durable which is worth its weight in gold if you're even the slightest bit accident prone. It's ultra slim and ultra light (basically the same weight as the Libra while having a bigger screen). If I had concrete news of an updated model on the horizon I would wait, but if not and mine died, I'd buy a new one without hesitation (personally I'd buy the 8GB version since I don't have that many comics to justify the price increase where I am).
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:43 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm using an H2O2 and keep looking at the Forma - but, like some others here, I'm waiting for an update before I pull the trigger.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:57 AM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm using an H2O2 and keep looking at the Forma - but, like some others here, I'm waiting for an update before I pull the trigger.
Someone in this thread should bite the bullet and order one - thereby guaranteeing a new model will released nanoseconds thereafter for the other fence sitters to benefit from
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:11 AM   #13
RowdyRuff
Connoisseur
RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Forma, Nook ST
I was lucky enough to pick one up at the recent mis-price, when I was intending to hold out for a refreshed product in the Forma space. I'm glad that I didn't hold out; it's a fine e-reader, though I might have balked at paying the full RRP.
RowdyRuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:14 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Someone in this thread should bite the bullet and order one - thereby guaranteeing a new model will released nanoseconds thereafter for the other fence sitters to benefit from
Thank you for volunteering.

It was either that or:

Not IT!
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:52 AM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Thank you for volunteering.

It was either that or:

Not IT!
Unfortunately, my doctor tells me I have a malformed public duty gland and deficiency in moral fiber, and am therefore excused from acts of altruism (HT Douglas Adams)

But I do find it interesting that two local online resellers both currently have 9% off both the Forma and the Libra. In the nearly three years I've owned Kobos, I've never seen this before, and wonder if it is a stock clearance exercise.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote