Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2021, 12:02 AM   #1
enigma90
enigma90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Does the new Clara HD have a MicroSD card slot?

I am thinking about getting a Clara HD to put some Manga books in it. Don't think 8GB memory would be enough. But I've heard that Rakuten "put a stop to its expandable memory hence there is no Micro SD slot on the Clara HD."
https://www.cylibris.com/the-new-kob...-kindle-oasis/
I am not sure if he means the inside card slot or not. Can anyone who bought a Clara HD recently confirm this? Thanks.
enigma90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:11 AM   #2
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
You can replace the internal MicroSD card. And put up to 256 GB.
I put 32 GB shortly after purchase (2 years ago).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRdV5ukt_Q0

P.S. I also replaced the SD card on the Glo HD, but it was so long ago that I can't even remember the year... And everything works fine today.

Last edited by Semwize; 06-12-2021 at 12:19 AM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma90 View Post
I am thinking about getting a Clara HD to put some Manga books in it. Don't think 8GB memory would be enough. But I've heard that Rakuten "put a stop to its expandable memory hence there is no Micro SD slot on the Clara HD."
https://www.cylibris.com/the-new-kob...-kindle-oasis/
I am not sure if he means the inside card slot or not. Can anyone who bought a Clara HD recently confirm this? Thanks.
sadly no it doesn't. if you open the Clara HD to put another Micro SD card in that as more memory bare in mind you will instantly void your 12 months warranty.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #4
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
sadly no it doesn't. if you open the Clara HD to put another Micro SD card in that as more memory bare in mind you will instantly void your 12 months warranty.
Nonsense. The back cover of the Kobo Clara is not glued, easy to remove. If you do not use the knife to open it and do it carefully, the warranty will not be affected.

And what you wrote is similar to «If you install KOReader or apply patches...»
Old 06-12-2021, 11:03 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
You can replace the internal MicroSD card. And put up to 256 GB.
I put 32 GB shortly after purchase (2 years ago).
The question is, however, whether the recently purchased devices still work with a built-in SD card, or whether this has been replaced by a flash memory.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2021, 11:04 AM   #6
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nonsense. The back cover of the Kobo Clara is not glued, easy to remove. If you do not use the knife to open it and do it carefully, the warranty will not be affected.

And what you wrote is similar to «If you install KOReader or apply patches...»
even if you're right and it doesn't void the warranty i wouldn't risk opening it and possibly damaging/breaking a brand new ereader. apparently you're fine with that good for you. for me no external Micro SD card slot=no buy.

best wishes koboy
Old 06-12-2021, 11:05 AM   #7
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The question is, however, whether the recently purchased devices still work with a built-in SD card, or whether this has been replaced by a flash memory.
the solution is simple bring back the external Micro SD card slot.

best wishes koboy
Old 06-12-2021, 11:10 AM   #8
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
I attached a link to a relatively recent video. The post referenced by the topic starter was written earlier than this video
Old 06-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I attached a link to a relatively recent video. The post referenced by the topic starter was written earlier than this video
So far so good, but Kobo has already changed the flash configuration once - in the Touch - at that time because SD cards were cheaper than MLC flash.
Now, however, TLC memory is cheaper than small SD cards, which, by the way, are hardly available anymore.
So the question was not completely unfounded.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
So far so good, but Kobo has already changed the flash configuration once - in the Touch - at that time because SD cards were cheaper than MLC flash.
Now, however, TLC memory is cheaper than small SD cards, which, by the way, are hardly available anymore.
So the question was not completely unfounded.
I have to say that is so wrong. And so out in left field.

The switch was done was done because of the waterproofing.

MicroSD cards are very easy to get. See here. Also, they cost less then 128GB TLC memory.

Where did you get your information?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to say that is so wrong. And so out in left field.

The switch was done was done because of the waterproofing.

MicroSD cards are very easy to get. See here. Also, they cost less then 128GB TLC memory.

Where did you get your information?
Wrong - 128 GB cards are not used.

No Kobo Touch was waterproof - however, they switched from flash to SD because they became cheaper than flash.

And the Clara HD is not waterproof either and was first made with built-in 8 GB and later with 16 GB SD cards - but now there are hardly any 16 GB cards left on the world market, while 8 GB TLC is almost thrown at you.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:53 PM   #12
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
And the Clara HD is not waterproof either and was first made with built-in 8 GB and later with 16 GB SD cards - but now there are hardly any 16 GB cards left on the world market, while 8 GB TLC is almost thrown at you.
You are confusing it with the Kobo Nia, which was announced with 16 GB of removable SD cards and ended up with 8 GB built-in.
But there is some truth in your reasoning, indeed the trend is non-removable sd cards ...
And I'm not at all sure if the Clara update (possibly next year) will have a removable SD card.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post

best wishes koboy
No it does NOT void the Warranty! I had to get a replacement 2 months after I changed the sdcard. All I did was put the orginal back in. New replacement arrived 2 weeks later.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #14
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
No it does NOT void the Warranty! I had to get a replacement 2 months after I changed the sdcard. All I did was put the orginal back in. New replacement arrived 2 weeks later.
has i've stated already i won't buy an ereader if it doesn't have an external Micro SD card slot. i don't buy something brand new only to open it up straight away and mess about with it, of course it's each to their own i'm curious (only slightly) why did you need a replacement 2 months later?

best wishes koboy
Old 06-13-2021, 01:40 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
You are confusing it with the Kobo Nia, which was announced with 16 GB of removable SD cards and ended up with 8 GB built-in.
But there is some truth in your reasoning, indeed the trend is non-removable sd cards ...
You are mistaken: it was announced with 8, had 16 inside, but only 8 of them were partitioned.
A Tolino Shine 3 = hardware from Kobo Clara HD and from the same manufacturer (Netronix) - bought about a year ago - already had a 16 GB SD card (partitioned with 8) instead of the original 8.

What is now inside, I do not know; but 8/16 GB TLC are cheaper than 16 GB SD - 8 is almost not available.

And Kobo switching from Flash to SD without notice because it was cheaper has already happened - with the Kobo Touch.
I know because I own a defective Flash Touch.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-13-2021 at 02:06 AM.

Tags
clara hd, microsd card slot