Notices

Old 06-06-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
groob
Enthusiast
groob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1)
Move a user Sub-Category into another Category

Hello!
I've been working for quite a while on building my custom user categories, containing many nested sub-categories.
During this process I've realized some sub-categories did not logically belonged to a particular parent category.
So I tough it would just as simple as to drag and drop a sub-category into another parent category but that was not the case.

Not only this seems impossible with drag and drop but it seems impossible at all.

So unless I couldn't find how to do it I'm stuck to manually re-create the sub-categories into another category and delete the old one.

Each one of the custom made sub-category contains multiple tags so this is indeed a very tedious and error-prone job.

Anybody knows if there is a better way or maybe this could interest someone else and it could become a feature request?
groob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
groob
Enthusiast
groob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1)
Ping :|
groob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2021, 06:37 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
User Categories is one of the least used features of calibre, I suggest you submit an Enhancement request as per the fourth para of ==>> calibre - Bugs

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-08-2021 at 06:46 PM. Reason: grammar
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:59 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can do it using the User categories editor (Right-click on a category, choose Manage user categories). Select the category (all levels) you want to rename. Enter the new name in the box on the top right, being sure to include all the levels. Rinse and repeat. Press OK when done.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard03.png
Views:	100
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	187580

Warning: there is no undo. You might want to back up your library before doing it.

Notes: I will look at:
  • adding the ability to copy the name in the left-hand category box to the clipboard.
  • why D&D doesn't work on sub-category drags.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Regarding D&D on user subcategories: I looked at this. It is possible to do but extremely complicated, taking much more time than I am willing to spend.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I actually have an action chains action that export/import user categories to/from csv. It can be used to mass edit a particular user category.

Problem is it depends on an unreleased version of the find duplicates plugin. It also rough around the edges as I am still working on dialog for manual match resolution.

It has two csv formats: items_for_categories, categories_for_items.

Also thinking about making it part of the Import List plugin, but not yet sure. Maybe next week I can release in some form.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
categories, sub-category, user categories