Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-21-2021, 05:16 PM   #1
pequod71
pequod71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Problem copying library into new computer

First of all, please apologize if this question is already discussed and solved in any other thread. If so, I couldn't find it.
I had to give new use to my previous laptop, so I copied the content of my Calibre Library and I pasted it into my new laptop. Here, on my new laptop, I downloaded Calibre and pasted the content of the Library folder into the Library folder of the newly downloaded Calibre program. When doing this I noticed that, for whatever reason (I don't know why) my copy of the previous Library folder didn't include the metadata.db files.
I open the new Calibre and the list is empty: no book.
Is it because I lost (or so it seems) the metadata of the original Library?
Any method I can solve this?
Thanks a lot in advance.
pequod71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If the old computer is still functioning see ==>> How do I move my calibre data from one computer to another?

Otherwise what OS are you using.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #3
pequod71

Thanks BetterRed.
The old computer is still fuctioning but I already uninstalled Calibre there.
My OS is Windows 10.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:40 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Did you also delete the library directory from the old computer? Uninstalling calibre does not remove any existing libraries.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequod71 View Post
Thanks BetterRed.
The old computer is still fuctioning but I already uninstalled Calibre there.
My OS is Windows 10.
If you haven't deleted the configuration folder, probably at -- users/<you>/appdata/roaming/calibre -- or the library on the old computer, you could reinstall calibre and use the export/import feature to move the configuration (global settings, plugins etc) and library.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #6
pequod71

Thanks DNSB.
I think I deleted the library, but maybe it's still in the trash can. If so, what I should do?
Old 05-22-2021, 04:51 AM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
In the worst case, you can re-create your custom columns and then use Library > Library Maintenance > Restore Database to restore the informaiton from the OPF files. I've done it several times after (semi-deliberately) fudging up a test library.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote