Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The Readers' Room by Antoine Laurain

'When the manuscript of a debut crime novel arrives at a Parisian publishing house, everyone in the readers’ room is convinced it’s something special. And the committee for France’s highest literary honour, the Prix Goncourt, agrees.

But when the shortlist is announced, there’s a problem for editor Violaine Lepage: she has no idea of the author’s identity. As the police begin to investigate a series of murders strangely reminiscent of those recounted in the book, Violaine is not the only one looking for answers. And, suffering memory blanks following an aeroplane accident, she’s beginning to wonder what role she might play in the story …

Antoine Laurain, bestselling author of The Red Notebook, combines intrigue and charm in this dazzling novel of mystery, love and the power of books.'

Goodreads

There are two phases of discussion. The first begins immediately and may contain conversations about anything pre-completion of the selection including reading progress, section thoughts, outside info, etc. The second begins on the 1st and also includes anything post-completion. These are recommended to help us discuss things in a similar timeframe but anyone can discuss any part or aspect at any time.

This is the MR Literary Club selection for April 2021. Everyone is welcome so feel free to start or join in the conversation at any time; the more the merrier!

Click image for larger version

Name:	57033133._SY475_.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	186653Click image for larger version

Name:	51294668.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	468.9 KB
ID:	186654Click image for larger version

Name:	50356363._SY475_.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	186655
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:36 AM   #2
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I felt the book started rather slowly but when it ignited it was a real page-turned. The Goodreads review described its “intrigue and charm” and summarised The Readers’ Room as a “dazzling novel of mystery, love and the power of books.”I can agree with most of that. I really didn’t find much “charm” though. It was quite dark and sinister with some remarkable twists and turns in the plot. I thought at one point I had it all figured out. Of course, I didn’t.

It isn’t the kind of mystery novel I usually read—I’m a fan of Father Brown and Lord Peter Wimsey but I really enjoyed The Readers’s Room.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 05-05-2021 at 06:12 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I really enjoyed this book. I read it very quickly because I couldn’t put it down. It was an unusual plot device the way the publishing house was involved. I was surprised by the twist too! I don’t want to reveal too many spoilers.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:01 PM   #4
AuntiWiddershins
AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo auraHD
Reallistic description of publishers competing for the Goncourt book prize. The author name dropped enough authors to keep me reading for some time. Michel Houellebecq, the only author from the book I have seen interviewed, chain smokes and takes five minutes before he replies to questions. The cloud of smoke around him description is accurate.
The email exchanges between Voilaine and Camille were entertaining. /Very polite, yet desperate tone.
An enjoyable mystery with a lot of suprise events and misdirections. Thanks for the suggestion.
AuntiWiddershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:06 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I’m glad that people enjoyed this book. I really enjoyed The Red Notebook by the author and so I had high hopes for this one. It was fun having the literary references throughout the book.

Thanks for the info on Michel Houellebecq - that was an interesting story.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #6
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
This novel is a ridiculously fast read; I read it in one day! I haven't read a (non-audio) novel in one day in forever; it might normally take me days, a week or even longer to get through over 200 pages and here I've done it in hours.

I really enjoyed the book. I loved the setting and the literary references... who would've thought that the lit club would read a book with Stephen King, and not as an author but as a character, lol. Then there's also the talking Proust and all the others.

The book does get a little wild by the end and most everything still comes together, but I have one lingering (very spoilery) question I can't find any answer to. So Fabienne, excuse me Marie, wrote the book predicting these four deaths, and then they happen. So Vlad killed the first three, but it was completely unrelated since it was a drug deal situation gone sour. And then the last, Pierre, just ups and dies of a heart attack at the end. Yet, all their deaths were exactly as described in Sugar Flowers. How?

Is it insinuated that someone - Marie? Fabienne? who? - actually did set this all up somehow and we're supposed to gather that? Or is it simply supposed to all be completely coincidental/otherworldly interference by the dead Fabienne?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote