Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-13-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Some Readius hands-on photos

I completely forgot to upload these, but I have a couple of photos I made of the Readius during the Frankfurter Buchmesse exhibit last October.

I had a chat with Polymer Vision CTO Dr. Edzer Huitema, who is the kind of guy you'd like to have a beer with. Between gulps, he will impart the details of how flexible e-paper really works. And if you order another, he'll give you a hint or two of what we can expect from his company in near future.

At the time of the meeting, PV was still working on some finishing touches on the Readius, in particular in regard to the software and UI design. From what I've seen, the newspaper display looks quite compelling; it allows you to see the newspaper in layout mode and then, if you wish, to zoom into the articles. The articles are presented in reflowable text mode. Well, it's wasn't perfect yet, as you can see in one of the photos, the software appeared to have some issues with displaying unicode characters.

What really does work well is the folding of the display. I admit I was nervous the first time Edzer handed me the device and asked me to open and close it. It takes some adjusting to fold a display if you are like me used to handle your precious e-book reader with utmost care.

PS: The last photo is not really related.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1065.JPG
Views:	1825
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	19127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1066.JPG
Views:	1642
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	19128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1067.JPG
Views:	1407
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	19129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1068.JPG
Views:	1767
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	19130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.JPG
Views:	1612
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	19131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.JPG
Views:	1407
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	19132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.JPG
Views:	1449
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	19133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1072.JPG
Views:	1456
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	19134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1073.JPG
Views:	2258
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	19135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1075.JPG
Views:	1872
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	19136  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
FIRST!

Ooops, thought I was on Digg. Sorry.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That last picture looks like Neal Peart's drumset.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 12-13-2008 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
It takes some adjusting to fold a display if you are like me used to handle your precious e-book reader with utmost care.
Did the Readius feel durable? While I still have some trepidation regarding the ergonomics for the Readius as a full time reader, I could see it, and flexible eInk, as a great mobile reader. As a mobile reader for newspapers it would have advantages to the PDA, iPhone alternatives.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was interested in my Iliad when I was researching it, and quite anticipatory when ordered.

However, and as I've said before, this excites me and I WANT ONE OF THESE!. Yep, I've read what it's capable of, and what it isn't...but the mind wants what it wants, and I love the form-factor and fold concept of this device. I'd buy a mobile "smartphone" that folded like this. I'd buy a UMPC that folded like this. I'd by a napkin that...no wait, they already do. I just love it, and love it even more with every picture I see of it.

I wish, even if it were available, that I could justify it. I wish them well, such popularity that their ideas spread to ready availability down here and new product development down the line (stylus, touchscreen, handwriting recognition...a man can dream).

Thanks, Alex.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Last I checked on the Readius, it was a cell phone that you had to use a cell phone service. Is that still correct, or can it be a stand alone device?
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
I've seen this thing in action once and it looks pretty nifty, albeit the screen resolution seems way too low to display a reasonable amount of text in a nice way.

Also, the homepage of Polymer is offline for quite some time now: http://www.polymervision.nl/
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
Stenis
Connoisseur
Stenis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Stenis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Stenis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Stenis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS505, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post
I've seen this thing in action once and it looks pretty nifty, albeit the screen resolution seems way too low to display a reasonable amount of text in a nice way.

Also, the homepage of Polymer is offline for quite some time now: http://www.polymervision.nl/
Try this: http://www.polymervision.com/ ;-)
Stenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenis View Post
or this: http://www.readius.com/
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
*sigh* there is no possible way i could claim to need this.

nonetheless, i want one so much just looking at the photos makes me drool.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Yeah, me too!!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Gazet van Antwerpen!!
It's my local newspaper from when I still lived in Belgium!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Libération is my favorite newspaper.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
what will be the price for it and what formats will be supported?

By the way, I spoke with people from Sony and iREX but I didn't find Readius booth on Frankfurter Buchmesse.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
what will be the price for it and what formats will be supported?

By the way, I spoke with people from Sony and iREX but I didn't find Readius booth on Frankfurter Buchmesse.
They were presenting at the Forum Innovation on Oct 15 and had the Readius on display at the MVB booth (Hall 4.0 Stand D1339).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote