Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
My ONE remaining Concern getting an eReader (LIBRA)

So, I guess I found the root of what's making me indecisive about Libra/Forma... or any at all. I'm leaning to the Libra, mainly because I don't like all the negative hardware reviews on the forma. That said ---

It's how PDFs are handled.

My only worry (since the beginning) is reading PDF on Libra.
I've seen plenty of MAnga videos with the Libra, and it's mainly fine. Good.
But, PDF.....

I mentioned this somewhere but didn't get an answer...

Even on my PC, when reading a PDF, you have to pull the PDF (image) to center in the screen. When you scroll or pull it down, it can move left and right, AND when you turn the page it looses it's page positioning and you have to line the sides and top up in the screen all over again.

I'm assuming it's the same way on the eReader? and if so, is there ANY way to correct this? Is there some kind of Fit to Screen that will retain it's position (centering) after a page turn?

I thought it might not be a problem on the Forma because the screen was bigger, but my PC is 23" and does it, so I'm guessing it's how the software manages it.

Does Forma handle this better, or is it the same on Both?
If so, is there a way to make PDFs stay "centered" in the screen through page turns?
Help ?
jgbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I "think" the main issue is the big margins on pdfs, and they don't line up text on the page. When you click to page turn, any adjustment you make disappears.

That's what I'm talking about.
Is that also present on the Forma?
Can it be fixed on the Libra ?
Advert
Old 02-25-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
Claude_C
Groupie
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Kindle is better for reading PDF.

But if I was to read PDF, I would get a tablet, not an ereader.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
jgbout
Groupie

Thanks, but I'm trying to get away from the computer screens.
I read mostly epubs, but there's a free library of chess books, only available in PDF scans.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbout View Post
I "think" the main issue is the big margins on pdfs, and they don't line up text on the page. When you click to page turn, any adjustment you make disappears.

That's what I'm talking about.
Is that also present on the Forma?
Can it be fixed on the Libra ?
Considering the Forma and Libra and pretty well any other Kobo ereader with a touch screen use the same firmware?

You may want to look at programs such as k2pdfopt to pre-process pdf before reading. And perhaps KOReader or other alternate renderer.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
jgbout
Groupie

Im not too tech savy anymore... couple decades ago I was a whiz, now I'm just old and don't have the patience <grin.>

k2pdf ?? Is this something on the computer or eReader?
If on the computer, I would need it to either be an APP or Browser based, as I am moving to Chromebook for my computer (not a windows pc anymore).

KOReader -- this is what I wondered... does KOReader make the text center on the screen and STAY there instead of going back to some other position after a page turn? And does KOReader stay o your eReader after an update?

Thank you very much.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
A 7" screen is too small for most PDF. That said, if you really want to read PDF, then you want to get the Forma as it's an 8" screen. Also, KOReader handles PDF better then RMSDK on the Kobo or whatever Amazon uses.

You can install KOReader on a Libra or Forma very easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #8
jgbout
Groupie

Thanks JSWolf. Does KOReader remain after an upgrade (or is it at least easy to reinstall?), and will it make a PDF fit center text to screen after a page turn?

I know the Forma is attractive, and some people say the complains are bogus, but man, there are a lot of complaints about bad units. Even if you are lucky and not have any screen issues, even if the not-visible flicker doesn't bother your head, it's the build problems, the faulty power button, often weak turn buttons, and now there seems to be an occasional usb port issue. Even the positive reviews I read on Kobo, were usually positive after a replacement unit and accepting a few smaller issues.

So, I'm worried about getting the Forma, as much as I wanted it. And I don't like that Kobo charges you shipping both ways for any warranty issues (here that would be alot).

But, you are saying 7" is still too small?
Old 02-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #9
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
If you're moving to a Chromebook and want to buy ebooks from Amazon (you mentioned it in your first post) and read them on your Kobo, forget it. You cannot install anything on a Chromebook, so no stripping the DRM and converting. A Kobo cannot read any Amazon ebooks natively.

On a Chromebook your only choice is to buy from Kobo or from a store selling DRM-free epubs.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #10
jgbout
Groupie

Hi. Thanks, but no, there's no Amazon involvement. Just Kobo/Chapters, or non-DRM free PDFs. And Chromebook has a Kobo App if needed. And I believe Calibre can be used in Browser or App.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Thanks JSWolf. Does KOReader remain after an upgrade (or is it at least easy to reinstall?), and will it make a PDF fit center text to screen after a page turn?

I know the Forma is attractive, and some people say the complains are bogus, but man, there are a lot of complaints about bad units. Even if you are lucky and not have any screen issues, even if the not-visible flicker doesn't bother your head, it's the build problems, the faulty power button, often weak turn buttons, and now there seems to be an occasional usb port issue. Even the positive reviews I read on Kobo, were usually positive after a replacement unit and accepting a few smaller issues.

So, I'm worried about getting the Forma, as much as I wanted it. And I don't like that Kobo charges you shipping both ways for any warranty issues (here that would be alot).

But, you are saying 7" is still too small?
I say 7" is too small for PDF. Watch the following video showing KOReader with a Kobo Aura One (7.8" screen). It's an old video, but it will give you a good idea of what KOReader can do with PDF on a Kobo.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:35 PM   #12
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And I believe Calibre can be used in Browser or App.
No, it cannot. It must be installed as a program.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #13
jgbout
Groupie

@JSWOLF - wow, great features. Using that, one could crop or stretch to screen in landscape on the Libra. Maybe not ideal but definitely usable. Even if you need to reinstall every time Kobo updates. I just really have build quality concerns with the Forma (and the cost to use the warranty for replacements, if they agree.)

@Sirtel - Calibre is install only? Hum... wonder what kind of problems I'll have going Chromebook only -- I guess transferring books to eReader via Chromebook is not possible? unless I just grab & drop books as is via usb cord?
Old 02-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #14
jgbout
Groupie

Actually Calibre IS AVAILABLE on Chromebook because there's a Linux version, and new chromebooks run linux programs.... that much is good.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #15
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
@Sirtel - Calibre is install only? Hum... wonder what kind of problems I'll have going Chromebook only -- I guess transferring books to eReader via Chromebook is not possible? unless I just grab & drop books as is via usb cord?
I think you can drag & drop the files from your Chromebook to your Kobo via USB. If they're DRM-free, of course. Kobo books you can download directly on a Kobo.

Calibre is install only, yes. There are various companion apps, but they still require you to have a full Calibre install somewhere to connect with. I don't think you can run Calibre Portable on a Chromebook either.