Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-20-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
Apollucas
Apollucas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Calibre doesn't detect books on device

Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum, so apologies if this is the wrong place to ask these types of questions.

I've been using my e-reader on and off for a while, using Calibre to sync my libraries on the device itself and on my PC. Not every e-book I own is stored on my e-reader due to storage space.
Just today, I ran into an issue. I sent a bunch of books to my device, which worked fine since I could see the new books on my device. However, when restarting Calibre and/or when plugging my e-reader back in, I didn't see the books on the 'Device' tab on Calibre, as if I didn't send the books at all. I'm assuming I messed up something with the files on my device when updating koreader or whatever, but I'm really not sure.

Does anyone know how to fix or replicate this issue so I can avoid it in the future?
Thanks in advance,

Lucas
Apollucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:21 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre leaves a file about what it finds on the device, to speed up the search the next time. (aborting a Tablet scan and this never generates, so the scan retries the next connect)

Using your OS file manager, look at your device: the file is metadata.calibre.
How big (bytes) is that?

Driveinfo is used to link calibre to specific PC installations (for those of us that use more than 1 PC ). Avoid removing that
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Plug in your Kobo and have a look to see if you can see your content. If you can, run Calibre and see if Calibre shows your content when you view what's on your Kobo.

There is an icon next to the library icon for your Calibre library to show you what's on your device. It should not take long at all to see what's on your Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:15 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do you see the books in the default Kobo reader on your device (NOT KoReader)?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:57 AM   #5
Apollucas
Apollucas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Using your OS file manager, look at your device: the file is metadata.calibre.
How big (bytes) is that?
The file is 2.257 bytes large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Do you see the books in the default Kobo reader on your device (NOT KoReader)?
Now that you mention it, I don't see those books in my default reader.
Apollucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2021, 08:13 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollucas View Post
Do you have the right units for that? 2.257MB would be more likely.
Quote:
Now that you mention it, I don't see those books in my default reader.
By, "my default reader", do you mean the nickel (the Kobo application)? If so, are you putting the books on the device in a place that nickel does not search? Or are you only using KOReader.

To be clear about somethings:
  • The KoboTouch driver reads the database that nickel uses to find the books that are on the device.
  • For a book to be seen as on a Kobo device, after sending it to the device, you need to eject the device and let the import process run. When you connect the device the next time, the book should be seen by calibre.
  • Because of the above, if you send a book to the device and close and reopen the calibre without ejecting the device, calibre will not see the book on the device.
  • There is a way to hide books from nickel. This is commonly used by people who mainly use one of the alternative ereader applications. If you use this, the nickel will never import the books and hence calibre will not see them when you reconnect.
  • If the import of a book fails on the device, this can prevent other books from being imported. The import failure is usually because of an error in the book. You need to remove this book before the other book will be imported.
  • If the database on the device is corrupted, this can prevent the details of imported books being written to the database. This will again mean that calibre will not see the books on the device. Depending on exactly the problem in the database, you might get an error when you connect. But, not always.

That should cover most situations. The things to know are if the books are definitely on the device, and if the import runs properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
If that is the proper units, that would probably be correct for NO discovered books
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If that is the proper units, that would probably be correct for NO discovered books
Not sure if any extant OS allows you to have a file with a length of 18.056 bits.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:31 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if any extant OS allows you to have a file with a length of 18.056 bits.
Not all locales use "," as a thousands seperator.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote