Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
bcbob
Enthusiast
bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: ipad
ways to buy/read ebooks from non-Amazon stores

I am looking for software tools and methods to ease buying and reading ebooks from non-Amazon companies. I would like to continue reading them on my Kindle Paperwhite although I am open to buying another ebook reader with similar performance.

I do not want to get into de-DRMing for now so I am thinking of buying books from companies like Baen who do not use DRM.

The way I would have to do it now is to buy the ebook, download it to my desktop computer, connect my Paperwhite to the USB port, and then use Calibre to transfer the ebook. As an alternative, I could email the ebook to my Amazon account from my desktop, then download it from there to the Paperwhite using the Amazon network.

Compare that to tapping the 'store' icon on my Paperwhite, searching for the book, tapping on the buy icon and automatically download it to the Paperwhite.

I would appreciate ideas and comments to make the non-Amazon purchases and reading easier.

Bob
bcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbob View Post
I am looking for software tools and methods to ease buying and reading ebooks from non-Amazon companies. I would like to continue reading them on my Kindle Paperwhite although I am open to buying another ebook reader with similar performance.

I do not want to get into de-DRMing for now so I am thinking of buying books from companies like Baen who do not use DRM.

The way I would have to do it now is to buy the ebook, download it to my desktop computer, connect my Paperwhite to the USB port, and then use Calibre to transfer the ebook. As an alternative, I could email the ebook to my Amazon account from my desktop, then download it from there to the Paperwhite using the Amazon network.

Compare that to tapping the 'store' icon on my Paperwhite, searching for the book, tapping on the buy icon and automatically download it to the Paperwhite.

I would appreciate ideas and comments to make the non-Amazon purchases and reading easier.

Bob
If you are buying from Baen, they already supply mobi format ebooks.

The easiest route for non-Amazon formats would be to download the ebook, import it into calibre, convert it to a Amazon format either mobi or azw3 and then use a USB connection to send it to your Paperwhite.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2021, 04:20 PM   #3
bcbob
Enthusiast
bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

another indea

>The easiest route for non-Amazon formats would be to download the ebook, import it into calibre, convert it to a Amazon format either mobi or azw3 and then use a USB connection to send it to your Paperwhite.

Thanks. That would be my current method. Could some of these steps be automated with a shell/batch script? I did a search and found that Calibre has a good commandline interface:
Calibre commandline

Has anyone used those?
Old 02-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are running Windows, download and install Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.1. Install it and register with Adobe. Then you can register ADE with your Adobe account UN/PW and you can purchase ePub eBooks (not from Apple or B&N). https://www.adobe.com/support/digita...downloads.html

The ePub that comes with DRM will need the DRM removed. You do that using DeDRM Plugin 7.0.3 (current version) and the current version of Calibre 5.x. You can get the DeDRM plugin from https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com.

If you need help with getting the DeDRM plugin to work, you'll have to ask where you downloaded the plugin.

Once you have the ePub without DRM in Calibre, you can use Calibre to convert the ePub to KF8 (AZW3) to read on your Kindle. You can side load the converted KF8 eBook to your Kindle using Calibre.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-15-2021 at 04:40 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:10 PM   #5
bcbob
Enthusiast

I am looking for simple, automated methods and for now I would like to exclude de_DRM by assuming I am buying from a vendor that does not use it..

How about not using Calibre at all with a batch script that emails the ebook file to Amazon. I did a search and found that Windows Powershell has the Send-MailMessage commandlet. Powershell is installed on every Windows system starting with Windows 7.

So sending would involve opening a Powershell command window, navigating to the directory with the ebook file, then typing a command like
email2amazon ebookfile

More advanced would be to enable the Powershell script so you could drag and drop the ebook file onto the script.

Last edited by bcbob; 02-15-2021 at 05:11 PM. Reason: clarify
Advert
Old 02-15-2021, 05:17 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
>The easiest route for non-Amazon formats would be to download the ebook, import it into calibre, convert it to a Amazon format either mobi or azw3 and then use a USB connection to send it to your Paperwhite.

Thanks. That would be my current method. Could some of these steps be automated with a shell/batch script? I did a search and found that Calibre has a good commandline interface:
Calibre commandline

Has anyone used those?
I have used several of the calibre CLI utilities and they work well, but calibre is not needed to copy ebooks to a kindle. Any copy method should work if the kindle is mounted as a drive on the computer.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
bcbob
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s
I have used several of the calibre CLI utilities and they work well, but calibre is not needed to copy ebooks to a kindle. Any copy method should work if the kindle is mounted as a drive on the computer.
Can you de-DRM with the command line utilities?
Old 02-15-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Not that I know of.

I misunderstood your original post.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Smashwords doeesn't use DRM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
You would need to import the book to calibre to have the DRM removed. You can use calibredb from the command line with something like:

calibredb --library-path=<path to library> add <file>

See the calibredb entry in calibre's documentation for more.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote