Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-19-2021, 03:44 AM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Is anybody else spoiled for eInk displays?

I've been using my Kobo for years now, and at this point it's almost unpleasant going back to trying to read eBooks on my monitor or even on my phone. I think I've been spoiled too much by eInk display.

Is anyone else the same way?
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:04 AM   #2
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I don't feel spoiled by the display. At least not when it comes to just reading. In that sense I was already spoiled by physical paper books, which I still much prefer to e-ink. The contrast is incredible, the reading experience superior; you can feel the book, smell it, interact with it (turning pages, etc). With paper books the progress is physical, I don't have to worry about breaking anything and it's just more pleasant in every conceivable way.

Reading on a monitor/phone has always been an act of pure desperation - something I've done when there's been no other choice. It's horrible, hurts my eyes. I cannot concentrate or enjoy myself that well and don't remember what I've read.

I have recently bought and started using the Hisense A5 Pro and Onyx Boox Nova 3 - and yes, for phone and tablet use I feel a bit 'spoiled', maybe. On the other hand it feels like this is what technology was supposed to be like all along. As if it's finally fulfilling its promise, and not very well at that (not enough contrast, bad refresh rate, etc).

The one area where all my e-ink devices do better than books is, of course, mobility. I can carry an entire library with me at all times; and I can at any given moment add another library's worth of books to it. The versatility is also great: my phone becomes a whole language learning platform - I can read and press a word to quickly check its meaning in a dictionary, I can add it to a SRS program and so on.

Still, all in all, I am incredibly grateful for e-ink. It's one of the few uses of technology I wholly approve of. I hope it will keep getting better - I want to have a colour e-ink laptop soon! My dream would be relatively high refresh colour e-ink monitors, tablets and phones, where the colour can be disabled and enabled only when needed. That would be the pinnacle of display technology!
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2021, 04:25 AM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
No.

I like eInk but I still read off a PC monitor all the time (if I couldn't cope with a monitor I couldn't do my job) and occasionally off my tablet (LCD screen). I'm less keen on my phone but that has to do with screen size rather than screen type.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:57 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've never read novels on anything else than eink (and paper, of course). So I've no idea, really. Certainly I strongly prefer my eink readers to paper books, which I don't particularly like anymore. (What's that obsession with the smell of paper books? I hate it.) But I still read newspaper and Wikipedia articles etc. on my computers, tablets and phone without any problems.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:09 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
I don't feel spoiled by the display. At least not when it comes to just reading. In that sense I was already spoiled by physical paper books, which I still much prefer to e-ink. The contrast is incredible, the reading experience superior; you can feel the book, smell it, interact with it (turning pages, etc). With paper books the progress is physical, I don't have to worry about breaking anything and it's just more pleasant in every conceivable way.
Funny how people differ. I find paper books quite unpleasant to read since I got my first eink reader almost 10 years ago. They're heavier, uncomfortable to hold, turning pages is more difficult, the contrast is generally poorer (to my eyes anyway) and you cannot search them. What's to like there?

Last edited by Sirtel; 01-19-2021 at 05:11 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #6
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
A friend of mine wrote a book. I told her: I'll buy it but send me the word file as well so I can make the ebook and I can read it on the Kobo or the Kindle.

I can also read paper books but I prefer ebooks except if they are art books or with large maps or similar. A couple of times I read, years ago, a whole book on the computer but it's not for me. And the phone is even worse.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:04 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Funny how people differ. I find paper books quite unpleasant to read since I got my first eink reader almost 10 years ago. They're heavier, uncomfortable to hold, turning pages is more difficult, the contrast is generally poorer (to my eyes anyway) and you cannot search them. What's to like there?
This is the internet, everyone knows there is only one true way to read books, the way _I_ like to read!

Pretty much the only time I read dead tree books is when that book isn't available as an ebook, though there are a small group of books whose formatting would be difficult to put in an eBook. On the other hand, my sister still likes paper books and says that she understands and remembers better when she has a paper book that she can underline and easily go back and forth. Different strokes for different folks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:37 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
On the other hand, my sister still likes paper books and says that she understands and remembers better when she has a paper book that she can underline and easily go back and forth. Different strokes for different folks.
Underline in a book? Does she also dogear pages? And you've let her live???
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
If I want to enjoy a text, I take a paper book - even better with a leather cover and gilt edging.
If I want to quickly grasp an action, I use one of my readers with a very specific formatting: landscape format, two columns, Arial, left-justified, paragraph spacing, no first line indentation.
I read about three times as fast as with paper.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
If I want to enjoy a text, I take a paper book - even better with a leather cover and gilt edging.
If I want to quickly grasp an action, I use one of my readers with a very specific formatting: landscape format, two columns, Arial, left-justified, paragraph spacing, no first line indentation.
I read about three times as fast as with paper.
We've long since gotten that your preference for reading on an ereader is a text file. Do you prefer to get your books uncut?

As for books with leather covers and gilt edging? They're what one of my relatives has on the shelves in her office. Her clients seem to find them very impressive though all her research is now done through computerized legal research tools -- faster, more accurate, etc.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I still like paper books and have way too many of them, but Parkinson's makes them a pain to use. I keep dropping them when trying to turn the page.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I started migrating to ebooks before it became a physical necessity, but since I was never particularly in love with the physicality of books, leaving them behind was no wrench. I do read on my PC quite a bit, it's what I use for PDFs and anything color-rich. Other than that, my Kobo wins hands down. I'm 80% through the Delphi Classics Maurice LeBlanc collection, and I shudder to think of how heavy, awkward and unwieldy a 4800 page book would be. There are some rare cases in which I prefer dead tree, mostly books as art -my Discworld Atlas, the bilingual, quadscriptal Dialogs of Pyaasa. There's also my collection of Hindi-Urdu dictionaries (though if they were digitised, I'd ditch the paper stat), but in the main, I consider that I've lost very little by going digital. If I crave a shot of vanillin to the nose, I can always wander through a secondhand bookstore and inhale deeply.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 01-19-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
We've long since gotten that your preference for reading on an ereader is a text file. Do you prefer to get your books uncut?
I find it very difficult to read an uncut book.
But there is literature that I don't want to read quickly - and I don't find electronic reading devices suitable for that.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I find it very difficult to read an uncut book.
But there is literature that I don't want to read quickly - and I don't find electronic reading devices suitable for that.
Slitting the pages carefully is part of the fun.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:44 AM   #15
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I've been using my Kobo for years now, and at this point it's almost unpleasant going back to trying to read eBooks on my monitor or even on my phone. I think I've been spoiled too much by eInk display.

Is anyone else the same way?
Same here. E-books all the way. If there is a book that I badly want to read but is not available as an e-book, I give up on the book. E-ink is a technology still in transition, and its hardware more so, but though the ereader is still too fragile, I cannot see myself returning to paper books.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote