View Poll Results: How old are you?
20-30 19 18.45%
30-40 22 21.36%
40-50 28 27.18%
60+ 34 33.01%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2021, 04:04 PM   #1
lymimi
lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle
Smile why you love your kindle

Hello guys,

I'm making a fan video inspired by kindle paperwhite, and would appreciate some feedback from you It would help me a great deal if you could answer some of the questions below for me:
-when choosing an e-reader, what made you buy kindle?
-what is your favourite feature on your kindle? (intuitive interface, how easy it is to use, the size, no glare, its weight and so on)
- are you happy with the color of your kindle? would you like one in a color that's not available on amazon?

Thank you for all your help! Have a nice day!
lymimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
HogDrvr
Connoisseur
HogDrvr began at the beginning.

Don't have the Paperwhite, I have the Oasis.

1. vast Amazon book catalog
2. I like the size but, again, I have the Oasis, not PW
3. I think that anything other than black or white would be distracting
HogDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your poll left out some out some ages. 51-59 and under 20.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #4
lymimi
lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

@JSWolf True, I could only do 4 boxes, so had to compromise If your age is not in the poll, you can write it in the comment, that would help me just as much!
Old 01-16-2021, 05:05 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I don't love my Kindle. I just have it for the serial number.

Sorry if some people object but compared to my Kobos and their ease of modification without having to try to jailbreak them, the lack of fine control over left/right margins and font sizes, there isn't much to love about a Kindle.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-16-2021 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Added reasons at to why I don't love Kindles
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #6
lymimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogDrvr View Post

@HogDrvr thank you for your feedback!
Old 01-16-2021, 05:07 PM   #7
lymimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hahaha, okay that works too
Old 01-16-2021, 05:22 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Sorry if some people object but compared to my Kobos and their ease of modification without having to try to jailbreak them, the lack of fine control over left/right margins and font sizes, there isn't much to love about a Kindle.
I agree 100% with everything you've said. I have a PW3 and I don't love it.

One thing I really really dislike about Kindles is they can't be turned off.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-16-2021 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:25 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogDrvr View Post

1. With Calibre and the DeDRM plugin, I can read most Kindle eBooks on my Kobo Aura H2O.
2. The Kobo Libra H2O is a similar design to the Kindle Oasis
3. If someone wants a different color, they can buy a skin to change the look of the bezel.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymimi View Post
@JSWolf True, I could only do 4 boxes, so had to compromise If your age is not in the poll, you can write it in the comment, that would help me just as much!
up to 30
30-40
40-59
60+

Problem solved.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:28 PM   #11
lymimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
1. With Calibre and the DeDRM plugin, I can read most Kindle eBooks on my Kobo Aura H2O.
2. The Kobo Libra H2O is a similar design to the Kindle Oasis
3. If someone wants a different color, they can buy a skin to change the look of the bezel.
I've never tried Kobo, but now I'm curious
Old 01-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
With my Kobo, I don't need a specific firmware to jailbreak. I can modify the firmware if I want or not. I can install KOReader and/or Plato as other software for reading eBooks. I can install NickelMenu for more functionality. I have much better eBook organization then I do with a Kindle. If I am not in the USA, the Kobo handles ePub with DRM so I could borrow library eBooks that are in ePub. In the USA, some library have Freading and that is ePub only.

Kobo has the Forma with an 8" screen and a plastic backed screen in case you need to read with a larger font size and/or are worried about breaking the screen because it's glass backed. And Kobo's cost less then Kindles. The Forma is not much more then the Oasis. The Libra is cheaper then the Oasis and the Clara HD is cheaper then the PW4.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:18 PM   #13
gunnm
Connoisseur
gunnm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW(2018), Boyue T103D.
I bought it because it was damn cheap, 58€ just 3 weeks after they released it. But it make me love eink and go for a better device.
gunnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:24 PM   #14
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I went through 3 iterations of Paperwhite, 1-3, before switching to Kobo. I'm not going to evangelise in a Kindle forum, because the Paperwhite is a great reader, but it is nice to see Kindle users being reminded that there are options.

In my case I went from a Paperwhite 3 to a Clara HD (basically a PW4 w/o waterproofing), then to an Aura H2O2 (6.8 inch waterproof) and now a Libra (effectively an Oasis at 60% of the price). For most of that time, the one area where Kindle TOTALLY outdid Kobo was in the stock dictionary - Kindle's was (and is) great. Kobo's was useless. Now they're more or less the same.

Of course, one big edge for many Kindle users is Kindle Unlimited. The Kobo equivalent is not offered to many countries, so if that sort of "all you can eat" book buffet appeals, Kindle is a GREAT choice.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:41 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

One thing I really really dislike about Kindles is they can't be turned off.
Newer models hibernate. That's practically the same. I charge a hibernating Oasis only once every 4-5 months. Or possibly even 6, haven't kept an exact record.

I have a Kobo Libra and I love it, but I still use and love my Kindle Oasis too. I don't really have a preference toward either brand and I guess I'm an exception in that, as most users here seem to prefer one or the other. If I could only have one of them, I would be happy with either one.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
feedback/ideas/input?, kindle, paperwhite