Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 01-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #1
john567
john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: ipad pro
Popup Footnote User Questions

I find popup footnotes to be extremely useful in reading Shakespeare plays. In Calibre Viewer, the footnotes pop up in the latest Modern Library Classics and Arden Shakespeare epub editions (but not in the New Pelican epub edition). However, I have not found an ePub reader for iPad in which the footnotes pop up. I tried the Modern Library and Arden editions in Marvin, but clicking on a footnote takes you to a different page, the same thing that happens in the New Pelican edition on Calibre Viewer.

Is there an ePub reader for iPad in which the popup footnotes in Modern Library Classics and Arden Shakespeare work?

Is there any way to make the footnotes in the New Pelican Shakespeare pop up in Calibre Viewer?
john567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
https://help.apple.com/itc/booksasse...cf8ecf5c8.html

Calibre Viewer and several android readers support that.

However, Calibre Viewer doesn't hide the footnote text from the main body by default but requires an extra css declaration by users.

Last edited by nqk; 01-14-2021 at 05:41 PM.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #3
john567
john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.john567 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

As I wrote above, I'm aware that Calibre Viewer supports popup footnotes. My first question is whether there is an epub reader for iPad that supports them. My other question is whether there is anything a user can do to make the Pelican/Penguin footnotes popup in Calibre Viewer rather than jumping to a different page.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:57 PM   #4
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

iBook supports that, as Apple points out. And Marvin, I think.

The fact is,

a) Amazon Kindle enink devices support only foontnotes with back links

b) Calibre Viewer supports footnotes with backlinks or/and epub3 footnotes (epub:type)

c) ibook (and Marvin) supported epub3 footnotes. But I am not using any Apple products now, so I can't tell if this is still the case.

So my suggestion is to prepare epub3 footnotes with backlinks. That is my experience, it has not failed me.

Last edited by nqk; 01-14-2021 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #5
john567

Again, I'm a user trying to read ebooks with popup footnotes, not a book publisher. I have no control over the files and have to take whatever is available from the vendors.

The popup footnotes in Modern Library Classics and Arden that work in Calibre Viewer do NOT work on any ebook reader for iPad that I have tried, including Books, Marvin Classic, and Marvin 3. All of these apps open a different footnote page when I click on a footnote.
Advert
Old 01-14-2021, 11:34 PM   #6
nqk
Fanatic

If you have no control over the files, which I thought you did, then there is nothing you can do to have them popped up.

I'm no publisher, either. But you can easily use the Editor to do this.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
john567

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't realize that there was an editor in Calibre, as I only used it for reading. Now I'm going to use the advise you and others have given to try to edit the the files.