Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #1
newbie_01
newbie_01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD (maybe)
My first e-book reader

Hello everyone, I'm searching for my first e-book reader.

I decided to buy one some days ago, since I don't read as much as I want, and I'm sure I would boost my reading activity with an e-book reader.

I don't have a "classic scenario" of use, also due to the fact these are uncertain times (right now I spend 99,9% of the time at home, but I bet in the future the things will change, not only for the pandemic stuff), but I guess I don't need something extremely portable but extremely big neither.

I don't need waterproof, and I don't need OverDrive support (living in Italy &#127829.
I like to have (the illusion of?) control on my devices; just as an example, I run custom ROMs on my Android device and I have Win-Linux dual boot on my laptop. So I read about that Calibre stuff with plugins and stuff and I'm liking it

So, I'd like to stay low with the budget (I actually thought e-book readers would cost less that what I saw), and after some research maybe the Kobo Clara HD could fit my needs, especially with some black friday deal since right now is around 130€.
What do you think? Are there better alternatives for a price ~80/100€?

Thank you so much for all the information in the forum!
newbie_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
The Kobo Clara HD is a very good choice. If you want one with a 7" screen, a Kobo Libra H2O is also a very good choice.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_01 View Post
So, I'd like to stay low with the budget (I actually thought e-book readers would cost less that what I saw), and after some research maybe the Kobo Clara HD could fit my needs, especially with some black friday deal since right now is around 130€.
What do you think? Are there better alternatives for a price ~80/100€?
A Pocketbook reader might be a good choice. If you don't need a touch screen, the Basic Lux 2 at 88€ from Amazon Italy would work. Amazon also has the Basic 4 for about 81€, but that one has no built-in light. Or, for more you can get the Touch Lux 5 for 133€. This has touch and front light, plus the "warm" screen feature (like the Kobo Clara). But these PocketBooks are 212ppi instead of 300ppi (like the Clara). TechInn will ship to Italy but, I'm guessing, after adding in shipping and customs it would be more expensive (their price is 112€ for the Touch Lux 5). At the TL5's cost of 133€ the Clara would probably be a better deal, especially if there is going to be "black friday" sale.

Amazon...
https://www.amazon.it/s?k=pocketbook...f=nb_sb_noss_1

TechInn...
https://www.techinn.com/#fq=-id_tien...o)+asc&start=0

PocketBook's Italian site...
https://pocketbook.it/it-it/catalog

The Kobo has more features. But for reading only, I like the simplicity of the Pocketbooks. Also the ability to buy (or borrow) ePubs from anywhere with ADE built-in on the device is a huge plus for me (I use Linux, so ADE is not available on my computer).

Last edited by rcentros; 11-17-2020 at 10:02 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:57 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why would anyone want to buy a Reader without a touch screen? That's just ludicrous.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:33 AM   #5
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would anyone want to buy a Reader without a touch screen? That's just ludicrous.
Raises hand.

I've owned a few Readers without touch screens.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Raises hand.

I've owned a few Readers without touch screens.
I have as well. But that was before there were Readers with touch screens. The first one I owned was the Sony Reader PRS-650 with IR touch.

But these days, it doesn't make sense to buy a Reader without a touch screen.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-20-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #7
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
I have as well. But that was before there were Readers with touch screens. The first one I owned was the Sony Reader PRS-650 with IR touch.
So you were being ludicrous until you bought the 650?

Maybe price is a factor? Maybe it is disability related? I recall posts in the Kindle forum saying people still like/want a Kindle Keyboard.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
If you ONLY read, then touch isn't important. But if you use the dictionary, web links, search, highlights and annotations more than once a book, you need touch.

I like the Libra and Sony PRS350 because they have touch and page turn buttons.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:15 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If you ONLY read, then touch isn't important. But if you use the dictionary, web links, search, highlights and annotations more than once a book, you need touch.

I like the Libra and Sony PRS350 because they have touch and page turn buttons.
After having used button only and touch screen, I will disagree that touch is unimportant. I prefer touch for changing the page more then I ever did buttons.

Also, if you have problems pushing buttons, then the touch screen will be much easier to use.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-20-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O; RealMe X2 Pro
I wonder if persistent failure to grasp that not every person's usage needs are the same as one's own counts as a disability?

I went from touch only (3 iterations of PW, Clara, Aura H2O2) to a Libra, and absolutely LOVE the page turns buttons. For my situation, and my specific impairment, the buttons are MUCH easier to use than the touch screen. As Quoth said, touch is still necessary for annotations, dictionary lookups, etc, but having the page turn buttons has reduced the amount of times I need to touch the screen by more than half. This means that my dominant hand, the only one more or (increasingly) less fully functional can both hold the device and turn the pages. This makes it a much better choice for me, and it may well be for others. I lack the pathology required to believe and insist that what is best for me is best for everyone.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 11-21-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:21 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I like my PocketBook PB615 quite a bit. For reading why do you need a touch screen if you've got page turn buttons? (At least for novels, technical publications, with lots of footnotes, might be a different story.)
Old 11-21-2020, 03:24 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
After having used button only and touch screen, I will disagree that touch is unimportant. I prefer touch for changing the page more then I ever did buttons.

Also, if you have problems pushing buttons, then the touch screen will be much easier to use.
On readers where I have both a touchscreen and buttons, I almost always use the buttons for page turning. I just like them better. To each their own.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:36 AM   #13
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2/Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
I could live without a touchscreen. I couldn't live without buttons.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:44 AM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: B Ares/Alita, OB Nova2/Poke2/Poke Pro, Tol Epos2/Shine3/Shine2/Page2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I could live without a touchscreen. I couldn't live without buttons.
Buttons are always in the wrong place.
I know 2 (two) devices that they were correct on.
Kindle 4 and Trekstor Pyrus.
If I want buttons, there is only one solution for me: Bluetooth remote control.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:09 AM   #15
John F
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Buttons are always in the wrong place.
I know 2 (two) devices that they were correct on.