Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #1
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 94
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Oasis 3 battery

I just recently purchased myself a shiny new Oasis 3 (thank you Amazon Prime day) and I also purchased new Paperwhites for my wife and son.

I've been using the Oasis 3 for just over a week now and the battery is really really bad! I tend to charge my Oasis every 2nd day with about 3 hours of reading a day (light on a mid setting for 50% of the reading time). WiFi is off. I also only have 3 books loaded.

I did a full reset of the device and the battery is still the same

The battery even seems to drain about 5-10% overnight... Doesn't make sense.

My wife and son haven't even charged their Paperwhites once yet over the past week.

Is the battery on the Oasis supposed to be this bad?
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Sirtel's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,357
Karma: 28649002
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Estonia
Device: Kindle Oasis 2/Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
No, certainly not. A book might be stuck indexing, that would drain the battery. Do a search for a nonexisting string of letters, like 'hkkkn'. If the result in 'text in books' is 0, all books are indexed.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 94
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No, certainly not. A book might be stuck indexing, that would drain the battery. Do a search for a nonexisting string of letters, like 'hkkkn'. If the result in 'text in books' is 0, all books are indexed.
Thanks, I did a search for some garbage text and 'text in books' showed 0. I then also searched for a word that would be present in all books on my Kindle and all 3 books appeared in the search (only have 3 books downloaded for now). I assume my indexing is complete then.

I read somewhere about deleting the indexing folder so I just did that so that my Kindle can reindex again - now I'll have to wait an hour or two to see what happens to the battery...
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 738
Karma: 9826804
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidblue View Post
Thanks, I did a search for some garbage text and 'text in books' showed 0. I then also searched for a word that would be present in all books on my Kindle and all 3 books appeared in the search (only have 3 books downloaded for now). I assume my indexing is complete then.

I read somewhere about deleting the indexing folder so I just did that so that my Kindle can reindex again - now I'll have to wait an hour or two to see what happens to the battery...
Just plug it in while it's indexing more than a book or two: it completes much faster and doesn't drain the battery at all
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 94
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Just plug it in while it's indexing more than a book or two: it completes much faster and doesn't drain the battery at all
When I first downloaded the 3 books I plugged my Kindle in and let it charge overnight. I have charged it 3 times since then and the battery still doesn't last...
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Sirtel's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,357
Karma: 28649002
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Estonia
Device: Kindle Oasis 2/Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidblue View Post
When I first downloaded the 3 books I plugged my Kindle in and let it charge overnight. I have charged it 3 times since then and the battery still doesn't last...
Are you a fast reader? If you read very fast and turn the pages constantly during those 3 hours you read every day, then I guess it's possible to drain the battery in 6 hours. I don't usually read fast unless I really have to, so my Oasis battery lasts much longer than 2 days.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 94
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Are you a fast reader? If you read very fast and turn the pages constantly during those 3 hours you read every day, then I guess it's possible to drain the battery in 6 hours. I don't usually read fast unless I really have to, so my Oasis battery lasts much longer than 2 days.
I wish I was a fast reader. I'm actually quite "thorough" and thus not a fast reader

It's been about 2 or 3 hours since I deleted the indexing folder on my Kindle (so that it would recreate it by itself) - my Kindle has been on standby since then and my battery has not dropped at all!! Maybe it is fixed
If it truly is fixed, I wonder why a factory reset never fixed it.

Oh well, holding thumbs. Will keep an eye on it now and see what happens
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 3,248
Karma: 56098967
Join Date: Apr 2011
Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidblue View Post
I tend to charge my Oasis every 2nd day with about 3 hours of reading a day (light on a mid setting for 50% of the reading time). WiFi is off. I also only have 3 books loaded.
Do you do your 3 hours of reading in one sitting or spread over the day?

When an Oasis 2 or 3 has been sleeping for about 30 minutes, it writes its RAM to flash memory and powers off. That is to save battery. When it is switched back on it has to read data back into RAM. All this writing and reading RAM uses power, so if it happens several times per day it can use more battery than if the kindle had just been left asleep. The Oasis 3 has a "power save" setting that can be turned off which will stop the hibernating.

Amazon uses 30 minutes reading per day when making battery estimates, so you are doing almost a week of amazon reading each day. Does your family also read their paperwhites around 3 hours a day?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #9
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 94
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Do you do your 3 hours of reading in one sitting or spread over the day?

When an Oasis 2 or 3 has been sleeping for about 30 minutes, it writes its RAM to flash memory and powers off. That is to save battery. When it is switched back on it has to read data back into RAM. All this writing and reading RAM uses power, so if it happens several times per day it can use more battery than if the kindle had just been left asleep. The Oasis 3 has a "power save" setting that can be turned off which will stop the hibernating.

Amazon uses 30 minutes reading per day when making battery estimates, so you are doing almost a week of amazon reading each day. Does your family also read their paperwhites around 3 hours a day?
Thanks so much for the info. I am reading in about 2 sittings - usually one in the day (without using backlight) and one at night (using backlight).
Using Amazon's calculations of 30min / day, mid backlight and wifi off, my battery should last around a week - I'm only getting 2 days worth though

Nonetheless, as mentioned in my previous post, I "might" have found the fix... Will see if my Kindle's battery behaves over the next few days
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #10
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online
 
Posts: 63
Karma: 94
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scottish Borders
Device: iPad Air/PRS-T1/Kindle PW/Kindle Voyage/Kindle Oasis
I have also just bought an Oasis on Prime Day and have noticed a significant difference in battery usage when compared to my paperwhite and voyage. This leads me to the question, where is the toggle for the power saver mode on the Oasis 3?
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #11
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter
 
Posts: 121
Karma: 12646
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Kansas
Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
I bought oasis 3 when it first came out and felt the same way, the battery does suck compared to other kindle devices. I don’t like it, but I’m used to it now, I just charge every few days. If you don’t need it to sync often, turning off WiFi makes a huge improvement.
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #12
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Atunah's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,797
Karma: 23400001
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The Oasis 3 has a "power save" setting that can be turned off which will stop the hibernating.
There is no such setting on the Oasis 3.

Rapidblue, I hope you fixed the battery issue. My O3 gets the advertised time. Which is 20 hours or so total. Reading time. It would depend on size of font, light level, wifi connection. I leave my wifi on and have my light on auto. I also read a lot so I am used to charging more often than others. But not that much.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:04 AM   #13
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 94
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Looks like it may not be fixed

I put my Kindle to sleep at 9 pm last night (battery was on 40%) and when I turned it on again at 8 am this morning (11 hours later, with wifi off) the battery was on 36%
So, 4% battery usage overnight with wifi off and no books needing to be indexed. Do the other Oasis users experience this?
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #14
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Sirtel's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,357
Karma: 28649002
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Estonia
Device: Kindle Oasis 2/Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidblue View Post
Looks like it may not be fixed

I put my Kindle to sleep at 9 pm last night (battery was on 40%) and when I turned it on again at 8 am this morning (11 hours later, with wifi off) the battery was on 36%
So, 4% battery usage overnight with wifi off and no books needing to be indexed. Do the other Oasis users experience this?
No. When my Oases are hibernating, the battery drain is almost nonexistent. I've charged my Oasis 2 once in 5-6 months or so, when it's been sitting unused.

When I've been reading on an Oasis every night, it's been a different story, of course.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #15
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 94
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No. When my Oases are hibernating, the battery drain is almost nonexistent. I've charged my Oasis 2 once in 5-6 months or so, when it's been sitting unused.

When I've been reading on an Oasis every night, it's been a different story, of course.
Yip, that's what I would expect...
Well, I did a factory restore on mine and have logged into my Amazon account but have not downloaded any books. Will keep wifi off and my device on standby to see if it still uses so much battery... If it does, I'm going to contact Amazon
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oasis 3 battery life vs Oasis 2 Avwriter Amazon Kindle 18 10-03-2019 11:42 PM
Oasis 1 internal battery, three years in NullNix Amazon Kindle 16 07-11-2019 05:43 PM
Oasis 2 Battery Futuregrace Amazon Kindle 29 02-10-2019 01:45 PM
new Oasis battery life mewmartigan Amazon Kindle 554 11-13-2018 12:09 PM
Oasis, a way to see battery percentage? ProDigit Amazon Kindle 3 12-27-2017 08:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.