Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
hius07
Guru
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3
Kindle firmware 5.13.3

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Release notes...

Quote:
Version 5.13.3 – October 2020

Here’s what's new:

Public Library filter: You can filter your library to show public library books.

Kindle User Guide: The Kindle User Guide moved to the Help menu in Settings. Your old guides are saved to a User Guides folder at the end of your Library.

Kindle Unlimited / Prime Badging on Home: Subscribers can see which books from their home recommendations can be borrowed for free from Kindle Unlimited or Prime Reading.

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Does this enable wider margins than the current firmware?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Does this enable wider margins than the current firmware?
Wider? The widest are ½" on a Paperwhite and almost ¾" on the Oasis. That makes columns of 2.5" and not quite 3". You want columns even more narrow?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
By "wider" I meant less narrow... as in text closer to the edge of the page.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've learned how to adjust the books themselves using Calibre, to get the margin to about 1/16th of an inch. It works on both my Paperwhite and 2nd gen Oasis.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...in#post4043989
Old 10-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle

Probably not, sadly. It's mad how fat the minimum margin is. Setting it negative in the CSS is possible.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
The following code works well on a 300DPI Kindle in KF8 (not tested with KFX).

Code:
html {
  margin-right:-45px;
  margin-left: -45px;
}
Put that at the top of the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:00 AM   #9
cerem0ny
Addict
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
I find the current widest margin fine. Its the other two that are useless!
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:52 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
I find the current widest margin fine. Its the other two that are useless!
You actually like reading newspaper sized columns?
Old 10-16-2020, 05:25 AM   #11
raghiid
Enthusiast
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My guess is he means the widest column size (not margin)
raghiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:17 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghiid View Post
My guess is he means the widest column size (not margin)
Maybe, but if that's the case, then he has the terminology all wrong.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:18 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
By "wider" I meant less narrow... as in text closer to the edge of the page.
You actually should have said narrower margins. That's the correct terminology.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sometimes, when my eye muscles are tired and reading in bed sans glasses, I use the narrow column choice. When I read this way, the Kindle screen is very close to my face, 6-7 inches. A more narrow column means less eye travel back and forth, and I can actually read much faster with less muscle fatigue.

All of these different options are what make reading on an e-reader so wonderful. I can change the settings depending on my vision needs at any one moment. I am not a "set it and forget it" type of reader. Sometimes I need more white space, so I use a wider line spacing. Sometimes I need a larger font, and so on.

There is no "default" setting for me. It all depends on what tricks my brain is playing with my eyes on any certain day.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #15
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
I find the narrowest margins on my Kindles fine. Possibly because I read exclusively on Kindles for many years. I don't use the narrowest possible margins on my Kobo either.

Ditto for line-spacing.

As to font sizes, I use the font_ramp hack on my Kindles. Sometimes I switch between sizes 4 and 5 on my custom scale. On my Kobo I seldom switch between font sizes. On my Nook I use customized base font size and so I never switch there.

I should add that all my ebooks have uniform margins, line-spacing and base font size, so I don't have to change them between books.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote