Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
adiel98
adiel98 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3
Dictionary for PocketBook Touch HD 3

I have a PocketBook Touch HD 3
And I want to add an English-Hebrew dictionary.
Is there a place where you can download dictionaries and add to the device?
Thanks!!
adiel98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:14 AM   #2
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
Dictionaries in general, there are many dedicated threads here, for example https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=60689 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325203, or like this https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ionary-support for KOReader.

Hebrew-anything dictionaries I'm not aware of anything free and even usable around there, I'd be curious to know too. The only thing which occurred to me was to wait for Asaf Bartov to finish his daunting transcription of the Ben Yehuda and to see about its conversion. https://benyehuda.org/~asaf/full_dict.html
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2020, 03:28 AM   #3
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Non free and not for PB (possible to convert??), just looking up some samples:

https://download.cnet.com/Hebrew-Eng...5_4-44568.html
https://www.amazon.com/ENGLISH-Bi-Li.../dp/B00DJWDLLG
http://www.miklalsoftware.com/strong...for-e-readers/

Another idea I had while looking up, is to check if one of the few resources online (like those linked here https://www.lexilogos.com/english/hebrew_dictionary.htm) allows mass download, and then look into conversion.

Then I'm sure that you could get the pdf of any of the uncountable biblical dictionaries published in the 18 and 19th century, but that doesn't qualify as a solution in my view.

ETA: oh, if it is about pdfs there are even not bad ones, e.g.

https://archive.org/stream/AComprehe...stKlein1987OCR
https://archive.org/stream/anglohebrewmoder00raffuoft

all linked at the lexilogos page. I principle they are OCRd, but I wouldn't trust the result at all.

Last edited by EastEriq; 10-06-2020 at 03:41 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:03 AM   #4
EastEriq
Groupie

And following this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=240305

https://www.alonintheworld.com/2013/...on-kindle.html
Maybe you could look into converting one of his kindle .prcs, but they are both said to have serious layout issues.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:27 PM   #5
EastEriq
Groupie

Ok here you go. What I did:
  1. got lingoes compiled dictionaries from http://www.lingoes.net/en/dictionary...&lang=&order=0
  2. decompiled them with kdictionary-lingoes (lingoes-converter didn't work for me - crashed on records somewhere along the way). Note: the encoding for English is UTF-8 and that for Hebrew UTF-16LE.
  3. I mass search-replaced = with tab in the resulting txt files
  4. converted the txt files to StarDict format with pyglossary
This is almost good enough for KOReader. The complaint is that since all tags are removed, formatting is lost, and often space is missing between phonetics, grammatical and definition. I could have used --disable-trim at step 2., but then I would have had to work out all replacements for the tags which are quite nonstandard (like e.g. <H J="rtl">, <Ò>, etc., possibly an artefact of the converter)

For the stock reader, you may ask in the conversion forum for a .dic. I'm curious what comes out with bidi.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ViconHebrewThesaurus.zip (3.02 MB, 384 views)
File Type: zip ViconHebrewEnglish.zip (1.95 MB, 356 views)
File Type: zip ViconEnglishHebrew.zip (1.21 MB, 368 views)
Advert
Old 10-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
EastEriq
Groupie

And these are probably a bit better, I used --disable-trim and the following substitution rules to kill all tags but <U> (used for grammar), <M> (sillabation, phonetic) <L> (resolve abbreviation) and <F> (acception)

Code:
# remove most of the tags but not all from lingoes hebrew dictionaries

cat $1 |\
  sed -e "s|<U>|<br\><i>|g" \
      -e "s|</U>|</i> |g" \
      -e "s|<M>| <b>|g" \
      -e "s|</M>|</b> |g" \
      -e "s|<F>|<br\>‣|g" \
      -e "s|</F>| |g" \
      -e "s|<L>| •|g" \
      -e "s|</L>| |g" \
      -e "s|<[/]*[NCIÒ]>||g" \
      -e "s|<H>|<span>|g" \
      -e 's|<H J="rtl">|<span dir="rtl">|g' \
      -e 's|<H J="rtl" />||g' \
      -e 's|<H />||g' \
      -e "s|</H>|</span>|g" \
      -e 's|\\\"|״|g' \
      -e "s|&gt;&gt;|←|g" \
> $2
ETA: Still within the lines of plain substitutions and not a real XML parser, I've improved a little the treatment of tags, for a better formatting in KR, and caused pyglossary to recognise correctly the dictionary languages. The remaining issue I see is a bidi one, parentheses around Hebrew text in the Hebrew-English dictionary are misplaced, even if they fall inside a <span dir="rtl"></span>
Attached Files
File Type: zip ViconTag.zip (10.28 MB, 350 views)

Last edited by EastEriq; 10-07-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: improved formatting
Old 10-07-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
EastEriq
Groupie

And finally, I gave a try to Markismus' script (wow, it worked practically out of the box!)
Here are the .dics:

ETA: replaced html entities like &amp; &quot; not digested by the stock app
Attached Files
File Type: zip ViconEnglishHebrewDic.zip (5.50 MB, 317 views)
File Type: zip ViconHebrewEnglishDic.zip (2.21 MB, 348 views)
File Type: zip ViconHebrewThesaurusDic.zip (3.26 MB, 341 views)

Last edited by EastEriq; 10-08-2020 at 04:44 AM. Reason: substituted html entities
Old 10-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #8
EastEriq
Groupie

Doh, I imagine (haven't checked) that they were originally Babylon dicts. Stardicts are already on http://download.huzheng.org/babylon/bidirectional/, in company of tens of others. Didn't know that bounty site.... Anyway, I learned something in the process.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:07 AM   #9
Chiron scriba
Bücherwurm
Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Looking for a REAL dictionary

For over half a century I've been using English to read, write, think, talk, argue, take notes, swear and grumble, but it isn't my mother tongue. As a result I occasionally run into words I'd rather look up in a dictionary - some (mostly old) authors use a very sophisticated vocabulary and I hate missing the fine nuances.
Unfortunately the English-English dictionary I got with my Touch Lux 3 seems to be more a practical joke than a true dictionary: I think I could write a better one myself in a week or so.

Would anyone have an idea where I could get/download/purchase/pir*te a decent English dictionary for my confounded reading gadget?

The beer for the best hint is on me
Chiron scriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
EastEriq
Groupie

Webster 1913, Oxford advanced Learner 8th ed., Gnu Collaborative international and Online Etimology Douglas Harper are all over the place. You need better than them? .dic for the stock reader or stardict for koreader?
Old 11-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #11
Chiron scriba
Bücherwurm
Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastEriq View Post
Webster 1913, Oxford advanced Learner 8th ed., Gnu Collaborative international and Online Etimology Douglas Harper are all over the place. You need better than them? .dic for the stock reader or stardict for koreader?
Thanks EastEriq, but I'm afraid that it depends on what you mean by "all over the place": if the place is my gadget, all I can find in there is something they call "Webster 1913", but I'm afraid it's an expunged version of the very first edition for the primary school. And since 1913 the meanings of the words had over a century, two world wars and an impressive techno-sociological jump to drift away from their original significance.

What I'm looking for is something serious I can download once at a reasonable price and install in my reader. I already have a (measly short, actually) list of dependable on-line dictionaries I access over VPN from my overprotected computer, but I'd never go online with a device I know very little about: having someone reading over my shoulder would make me nervous, and having Google & Co. selling my 'preferences' (misinterpreted by their AI) to the highest bidder would make me pretty uncomfortable.

A little cantankerous? Perhaps... but I come from a remote past when 'privacy' and 'professionalism' still had some meaning
Old 11-15-2021, 11:47 AM   #12
EastEriq
Groupie

Depends on what you read. if 19th century classics, the opposite tends to be right.
All over the place means referenced on other threads on this site, like those I mentioned in #2. And, koreader is able itself to download I think two of them, IIRC (I think Gnu collaborative and Online etimology). Which you could grab from their stardict source and convert to dic.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
EastEriq
Groupie

I agree though that whatever found here and there is only as good as it gets, but it might be enough of a starter.

Here e.g. should be a number of english dictionaries, copyright status better don't ask.

Just looking, I found a severe critic of the Doug Harper one. Haven't read the paper in depth, skimming it I think it says "he just abridged the Oxford dictionary" and "he is baloney on Arabic". Can't really say.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Back in 2012, Ronnie Steiner compiled an Eng-Eng dictionary based on Wiktionary. I think he also incorporated the Webster 1913 dictionary into it, as well. See the following thread to download it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=190769
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:54 PM   #15
Chiron scriba
Bücherwurm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastEriq View Post
Depends on what you read. if 19th century classics, the opposite tends to be right.
I'll grant you that!
Unfortunately though my interest is more oriented towards works written about the middle of last century, when the Russian revolution, Sarajevo, general relativity, quantum mechanics, the inhuman Austrian butcher, radio communications and radar, Pearl Harbour, the atomic bomb and whatnot had already changed the face of the world - tempora mutantur.

Thanks for the links! I've just downloaded a few of those "uncertain pedigree" dictionaries and so far so good - I'll tell you more once I find a way to convert them to a handier format.

I owe you a beer

Tags
dictionary