Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Apple Event on 15 September 2020 Announcements

Tim says they are focusing on two products today, the Apple Watch and the iPad.

Apple Watch

Watch OS7 adds full range of VO2 Max monitoring. (Blood oxygen level.)

New band called Solo Loop that is one piece of stretchy silicon so it can be slipped on and off, available in various sizes. They also introduced a traditional leather band with a belt buckle type of clasp.

Introducing more affordable Apple Watch SE. Starts at $279. No blood oxygen monitor.

Watch series 6 starts at $399.

Series 3 still available, and starts at $199.

New series available this week.

Introduced new Fitness+ subscription service for $9.99/mo or $79.99/year.

Apple iPad

iPad 8th Gen
  • A12 processor
  • Neural processor
  • Pencil support
  • $329 starting price, available Friday Sept 18

iPad Air
  • A14 processor
  • Touch ID
  • 10.9 inch screen
  • USB-C
  • Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard support
  • $599 starting price, available in October

OS Updates

Releasing iOS 14, iPadOS 14, Watch OS7, tvOS 14 all available Sept 16!

Apple User Guides for the OS Updates

Here are the links to the Apple User Guides for iOS 14, iPadOS 14, tvOS14, and watchOS 7.

iPhone User Guide

iPad User Guide

Apple TV User Guide

Apple Watch User Guide

Last edited by OtinG; 09-17-2020 at 12:15 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is it in a nutshell. Looks like Apple is emphasizing more health monitoring with the new Series 7 Watch, and I like that. The better bands are a good addition as well assuming thy come in enough usable sizes. New Watch SE might be an option for many. New iPad 8th gen and iPad Air have a few new additions, but nothing stellar IMO.

BTW, Tim pronounces “Air” as “aay arrrrrr”. I thought he was introducing a new model named iPad AR. I had never heard the Air pronounced like that before!

I will be installing iPadOS 14 on both of my iPads tomorrow. I’m assuming it has to be an improvement over that garbage named iPadOS 13.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-15-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Advert
Old 09-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I think the Series 6 starts at $399.

Surprised the new Air has A14 when the iPad Pro still sports A12Z. I don't think that's happened before. The iPhones having better chipsets than even top iPad Pro sure, but not other iPads. Loving the splash of color (both mint green and sky blue).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I will be installing iPadOS 14 on both of my iPads tomorrow. I’m assuming it has to be an improvement over that garbage named iPadOS 13.
I've been running the iPadOS 14 Beta from almost the beginning (maybe a day or so after the Dev Beta was released). Dev Beta 1 was good. Later betas not so much. It seems even heavier on RAM than 13 was.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Surprised the new Air has A14 when the iPad Pro still sports A12Z. I don't think that's happened before. The iPhones having better chipsets than even top iPad Pro sure, but not other iPads. Loving the splash of color (both mint green and sky blue).
The sounds more like what it should cost. My old ears don’t always hear very well. Once Apple posts the info I’ll verify.

ETA: You were correct, Series 6 starts at $399.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-15-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Advert
Old 09-15-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
I've been running the iPadOS 14 Beta from almost the beginning (maybe a day or so after the Dev Beta was released). Dev Beta 1 was good. Later betas not so much. It seems even heavier on RAM than 13 was.
The RAM usage is terrible in 13, so maybe I should hold off on 14 for awhile. I use an app to view my various security cams in live view, and the app runs out of memory really quickly in iPadOS 13. I’m constantly having to close it via screen swipe then reopen it. I don’t have as much issue with it in iOS 13, and I don’t have any issues in macOS. Of course my Macs both have way more RAM.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:50 PM   #7
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I hope that some day Apple can manage to get the Watch listed by major health insurance companies as a medical device for certain people. If they could manage to get Big Insurance to underwrite some of the costs for people with specific health issues then that would be good for the consumers and Apple.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I hope that some day Apple can manage to get the Watch listed by major health insurance companies as a medical device for certain people. If they could manage to get Big Insurance to underwrite some of the costs for people with specific health issues then that would be good for the consumers and Apple.
They're probably working on that. I seem to recall hearing about incentive programs in Singapore during the keynote.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #9
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
They're probably working on that. I seem to recall hearing about incentive programs in Singapore during the keynote.
Yes, he said Singapore would start underwriting some of the costs of the Watch this year for its citizens. Preventative maintenance in health can be a really good thing, even though in this country that seems to come up against a lot of opposition. Big Insurance could easily side step the politics though if they thought monitoring certain patients would save them money in the long run.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:06 PM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Apple has listed the new Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop bands as compatible with the new Watch SE and Series 4 or greater Watches. Rather pricey though at $49 for the Solo Loop and $99 for the Braided Solo Loop if purchased extra.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

This MacRumors article lists what is new/changed in tvOS 14.

I wish Apple would add a section for stuff you can watch for free with your subscription(s). I get tired of having tons of poop thrust in my face that I have to pay extra for. Amazon is bad about that too, but they now have a section that only lists the free stuff and that is much better than what Apple does.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
That is it in a nutshell. Looks like Apple is emphasizing more health monitoring with the new Series 7 Watch, and I like that. The better bands are a good addition as well assuming thy come in enough usable sizes. New Watch SE might be an option for many. New iPad 8th gen and iPad Air have a few new additions, but nothing stellar IMO.

BTW, Tim pronounces “Air” as “aay arrrrrr”. I thought he was introducing a new model named iPad AR. I had never heard the Air pronounced like that before!

Tim Cook is from Alabama and went to school at Auburn and Duke. How else would you pronounce it. That's how I pronounce Air, of course, I'm from Georgia.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Apparently there is not a Solo Loop band that will fit my wrist and my 40mm Series 5. It maxes out at 9 and I’m a 10. I would need to get a new 44mm Watch! Crazy.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

Comparing with iPad Pro 11”, they are essentially the same size. 256GB configuration (max available for iPad Air), the Pro is $150 more, but it has LIDAR sensor, FaceID, 4 vs 2 speakers, more capable front camera, more video recording modes, ultra-wide camera, a few more pixels and ProMotion. Probably most people will just get the Air and save some money.

I imagine we can expect a refresh of the Pro line in a few months with at least this chip.

Nice that WatchOS 7 has a Sleep app after all this time, though the 3rd party app I’ve been using has been entirely adequate.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-15-2020 at 08:33 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #15
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Apparently there is not a Solo Loop band that will fit my wrist and my 40mm Series 5. It maxes out at 9 and I’m a 10. I would need to get a new 44mm Watch! Crazy.
My printer bit the dust, so I downloaded the length determiner printout and measured it on my LCD screen being careful to fit a CC like they said. It looks like Size 1 is approximately 130mm (5.12”) and Size 12 is 212.5mm (8.37”).

Sizes represent circumference of the wrist.

Size 1 = 130mm (5.12”)
Size 2 = 137.5mm (5.41”)
Size 3= 145mm (5.7”)
Size 4 = 152.5mm (6”)
Size 5 = 160mm (6.3”)
Size 6 = 167.5mm (6.59”)
Size 7 = 175mm (6.89”)
Size 8 = 182.5mm (7.19”)
Size 9 = 190mm (7.48”)
Size 10 = 197.5mm (7.78”)
Size 11 = 205mm (8.07”)
Size 12 = 212.5mm (8.37”)

And don’t overlook their disclaimer that it might stretch out with wear.

ETA: Seems like it would have made more sense to place a ruler image beside the band rather than a CC sized rectangle. The ruler could have used both inches and mm.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-15-2020 at 09:28 PM.