Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-26-2020, 04:37 AM   #1
rfog
Fanatic
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Invert Poke 2 screen

Hello all!

Is there any way to invert colours of Poke 2? Night mode or whatever we can call? Native reading application can't (AFAIK), and system seems not as well.

Kindle and FBReader do it, but I wanted to do with native app or system (via one Android App, for example, but I cannot find any that do that).

PS: BTW, Android KOReader works very bad. It locks, refuses to start most of time...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Onyx
Alreader and Koreader and Moonreader do it. Yeah, sucks neoreader doesn't do it. Koreader will even invert scanned pdf's. Koreader has some issues with the back button exiting. Pazos very kindly compiled a no back button version for me.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
PS: BTW, Android KOReader works very bad. It locks, refuses to start most of time...
That's not true. It can be true that KOReader on your device works very bad, but your device is not the entire android!!!

Anyways there's only a reason for system locks:

- configuration changed somehow (changed sim, attach/deattach a pointer device, a change on the underlying hardware is notified by the framework, unknown samsung thingies related or not to Dex...)

Please check if you can reproduce the locks with a recent-ish release (any release after https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/6416, 5 days ago)

About refusing to start it is probably the visible result or a soft lock. The event thread dies after an unhandled configuration change.

The other thing that can make the program refusing to open is LuaJIT being killed by battery optimizations. I can only reproduce this on Android 10 and only if the system is under heavy load for a lot of time. In theory it could affect devices with older versions for some vendors. See https://dontkillmyapp.com

Anyways, whatever the reason that causes softlocks, it is easy to know getting an adb log. Feel free to open a ticket if you find a bug on latest nightly.

Remember that a bug report without logs is useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Koreader has some issues with the back button exiting. Pazos very kindly compiled a no back button version for me.
Thanks again for reporting and testing changes!. These changes are already available on latest releases so there's no need to use the APK I built. That was only meant to test if it worked.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
rfog
Fanatic
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
That's not true. It can be true that KOReader on your device works very bad, but your device is not the entire android!!!
In relation to this, the only thing I can say si:
  • Kinde App: works perfect
  • FBReader from FBReader org: works perfect
  • Dropbox: works perfect
  • GMail app: works perfect
  • Google Store: works perfect
  • KOreader, last update from KOReader Release itself channel: important issues

Occam Razor has something to say here. It is an Android app, it is not a reverse-engineered app usign non-documented/modified kernels an libraries.

I don't want to enter in discussions about Open Source, freedom, collaboration, etc.. Fact is it does not work well.

BTW, I tried to find crash dumps or other log info to report but found nothing useful, then I uninstalled and removed user disk koreader folder.

As a final luser (read: luser, not user), I'm not going to mess with ADB, debug modes, etc.. I've returned the Poke 2 because I've purchased the Nova 2 (7,9 screen instead of 6, plus stylus). I will give a new try in my new device, but will discard KOReader if continue failing and I don't find an easy way to report issues.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:34 AM   #5
rfog
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Alreader and Koreader and Moonreader do it. Yeah, sucks neoreader doesn't do it. Koreader will even invert scanned pdf's. Koreader has some issues with the back button exiting. Pazos very kindly compiled a no back button version for me.
I haven't tried Alreader since a lot of time ago, and I have Moonreader purchased since ages. My big Moonreader complain is it skips parts of the book, or skipped last time I used it.

I will give some opportunity to those once I got my new Nova 2.
Advert
Old 07-28-2020, 07:00 AM   #6
Norbi24
Connoisseur
Norbi24 doesn't litterNorbi24 doesn't litter

Device: Tolino Vision HD4, BOOX Poke2
Quote:
Hmm, this is strange, I was having Koreader 2020.06 on Poke2 and it works perfectly fine, now I have just upgraded for 2020.07.01 and it seems to work also as expected ...
Norbi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:02 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
[*]FBReader from FBReader org: works perfect
FBReader has never worked perfectly.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-28-2020 at 07:04 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #8
rfog
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
FBReader has never worked perfectly.
Man, apart not respecting CSS (that I don't mind too much[*]), it worked fine to me.

When I write "perfect" I mean no autisms, no crashses, no strange things like "eat" text or similar things. I know sometimes it fails to synchronize reading positions, for example, but that is not the level of KOReader non-working.

[*] If I need "perfect" adjustment, I make a PDF.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #9
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In relation to this, the only thing I can say si:
  • Kinde App: works perfect
  • FBReader from FBReader org: works perfect
  • Dropbox: works perfect
  • GMail app: works perfect
  • Google Store: works perfect
  • KOreader, last update from KOReader Release itself channel: important issues

Occam Razor has something to say here. It is an Android app, it is not a reverse-engineered app usign non-documented/modified kernels an libraries.

I don't want to enter in discussions about Open Source, freedom, collaboration, etc.. Fact is it does not work well.

BTW, I tried to find crash dumps or other log info to report but found nothing useful, then I uninstalled and removed user disk koreader folder.

As a final luser (read: luser, not user), I'm not going to mess with ADB, debug modes, etc.. I've returned the Poke 2 because I've purchased the Nova 2 (7,9 screen instead of 6, plus stylus). I will give a new try in my new device, but will discard KOReader if continue failing and I don't find an easy way to report issues.
Be my guest and don't use a program that causes you problems. Bye

Last edited by pazos; 07-28-2020 at 08:14 AM. Reason: oops
Old 07-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #10
Norbi24
Connoisseur
Norbi24 doesn't litterNorbi24 doesn't litter

Device: Tolino Vision HD4, BOOX Poke2
Quote:
[*]KOreader, last update from KOReader Release itself channel: important

I'd recommend that you find your perfect reader app and stop bothering the others with your general statements on how KOReader doesn't work. Don't think that someone will miss them
Norbi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #11
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbi24 View Post
Hmm, this is strange, I was having Koreader 2020.06 on Poke2 and it works perfectly fine, now I have just upgraded for 2020.07.01 and it seems to work also as expected ...
That's the expected behaviour on any android device. Things that have an API are implemented using that API and should work. If something that should work doesn't work that's our bug

The only things that don't have an API are e-ink updates and custom light implementations (like warmth light). These need to be REd for each device. Thanks to user collaboration most of major e-ink brands have been REd, that includes Boyues from T61 to lastest Likebooks, Tolinos and Nooks.

You can see all that REd in https://github.com/koreader/android-...auncher/device
Old 07-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #12
rfog
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbi24 View Post
I'd recommend that you find your perfect reader app and stop bothering the others with your general statements on how KOReader doesn't work. Don't think that someone will miss them
KOReader will be my perfect reader app if it worked fine. It does not work, thus I complain. If I didn't wanted to use it, I gave a f*ck if it worked or not.

You know? This is the typical open source developers ego and various fundamentalisms and stubbornness. They (you) still don't understand how the market works. It is not related to collaboration, or friendliness, or happyness, it is related to things that work or not work, ease of use and ease of configuration. Mrs Mary or John Doe do not want to open ebook folder, edit whatever.lua with special non-windows lines endings (when there is an important chance that he will have Windows and not Linux, sorry GNU/Linux), she wants it worked.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 AM   #13
rfog
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
That's the expected behaviour on any android device. Things that have an API are implemented using that API and should work. If something that should work doesn't work that's our bug

The only things that don't have an API are e-ink updates and custom light implementations (like warmth light). These need to be REd for each device. Thanks to user collaboration most of major e-ink brands have been REd, that includes Boyues from T61 to lastest Likebooks, Tolinos and Nooks.

You can see all that REd in https://github.com/koreader/android-...auncher/device
This makes the difference. Have you seen me complaining about light adjustment now working in Poke 2 from KOReader (and it really don't work)? Because I understand that those could be specific non-standard APIs.

You have read me complaining about things that should work if you want to have a reasonable working software.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #14
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
KOReader will be my perfect reader app if it worked fine. It does not work, thus I complain. If I didn't wanted to use it, I gave a f*ck if it worked or not.

You know? This is the typical open source developers ego and various fundamentalisms and stubbornness. They (you) still don't understand how the market works. It is not related to collaboration, or friendliness, or happyness, it is related to things that work or not work, ease of use and ease of configuration. Mrs Mary or John Doe do not want to open ebook folder, edit whatever.lua with special non-windows lines endings (when there is an important chance that he will have Windows and not Linux, sorry GNU/Linux), she wants it worked.
The program is developed by volunteers, the documentation is written by volunteers, the help is driven by volunteers. The primary target of the program are embedded devices running linux where some knowledge is needed because these devices are not expected to run 3rd party software.

The whole project is open and grows because new people join and do things. Ms and Mr Doe are not the primary target for this software. The primary target was and still is people that want to tune their software.

I think nobody that developed/helped/translated/debugged/reported things for the project thought about the market for a single second.

Again, be my guest and don't use the software. You seem to hate open source with passion so this is the right thing for you.

If things work for somebody is because somebody else had that thing documented/reported/fixed on the first place. Because you're not interested in any of these things then please go to the market, buy there and have fun.

All the other people is welcome to report bugs on the bug tracker. If the bug is android specific then we need logs.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #15
cellaris
Enthusiast
cellaris makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanecellaris makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanecellaris makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanecellaris makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanecellaris makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanecellaris makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanecellaris makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanecellaris makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanecellaris makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanecellaris makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanecellaris makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
My dear @rfog, KOReader works well in Poke 2. Trust me. The only 2 differences from using it on a Kobo (or any other compatible device) are the screen refresh and the brightness control. In these cases it is done through the Onyx system, using the application optimization system and the navigation ball or status bar. Everything else is exactly the same. In my regular use I have not found anything else that doesn't work. I have the same configuration as in Kobo Clara HD. If it malfunctions in Poke 2, it should malfunction in a Kobo device as well. And it doesn't. There must be some other reason, although it doesn't matter anymore because I see you've changed devices. (By the way, don't think about taking the Nova 2 out into the sun because your screams will be heard in China). It's good to see you the same as always. Those of us who know you know that your comments are not meant to be hurtful. It's your special way of letting off steam.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote