Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
How to mark books that I've already done "Download Metadata" on?

Hello,
What do you fellow Calibre users do to know/remember/note which of your titles already have the "Download metadata" done on, and which one aren't done yet?

I mean... I know I can create a new column just for this, but my screen isn't that big, and already, there's a lot of important columns visible (date, author, title, format, source, etc.)
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
But why do you have to download metadata or all our eBooks? Isn't the metadata good to go for most of them from what's inside the OPF file?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Hello,
What do you fellow Calibre users do to know/remember/note which of your titles already have the "Download metadata" done on, and which one aren't done yet?

I mean... I know I can create a new column just for this, but my screen isn't that big, and already, there's a lot of important columns visible (date, author, title, format, source, etc.)
I use the two libraries model. The Intake library is where I add books. After the metadata is updated, covers massaged, error checking done, etc., the books get moved to my main library.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
Penny_Dreadful
Connoisseur
Penny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle PW3 (G090G1)
Quote:
Hello,

If you wanted something both visible and not taking up any more space you could have a hidden column that had a column colouring rule, so your books with correct metadata could have different coloured text in the library view that the ones that needed metadata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But why do you have to download metadata or all our eBooks? Isn't the metadata good to go for most of them from what's inside the OPF file?
I like to grab metadata from Goodreads, it helps standardise my metadata across my Libraries, especially my tags, but everyone's use case is different.

Last edited by Penny_Dreadful; 07-09-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #5
chinax
chinax began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight, Sony DPT-CP1
I have a yes/no field for if I'm happy with the cover, and periodically search for comments:false to make sure each book has a description. You could create a yes/no custom column and check it off after you've updated the metadata.

There might be a way to automate it so it changes to "yes" once certain fields are updated, but the feasibility of that depends the kinds of books you have and how often you manually vs automatically edit whatever fields.
chinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2020, 11:02 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
What's the source of your books that have decent metadata in them? Most are bad, many have nothing beyond the title and the author. And those are frequently misspelt. Or the title includes the series, or worse, some sort of claim about the book. Because of that, I always do a metadata download. Occasionally, I won't save it, but, even then I'll probably update the identifiers.

@droopy: I update the metadata as I add books, so I don't usually have the problem of knowing which to update. But, I use a combination of the Reading List plugin and a "status" column to know what I need to do with books. I have "To clean" reading list that sets the status to "toclean". That's mainly for books I know I need to edit to fix the code for some reason. The status column allows multiple values. The two methods allow me to see the books in a list quickly, and use the status to search in combination with other columns.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:09 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I use the two libraries model. The Intake library is where I add books. After the metadata is updated, covers massaged, error checking done, etc., the books get moved to my main library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny_Dreadful View Post
If you wanted something both visible and not taking up any more space you could have a hidden column that had a column colouring rule, so your books with correct metadata could have different coloured text in the library view that the ones that needed metadata.
Similar, i use a composed set of icons to indicate what's done/not-done, they are attached to an int custom column.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I like to grab metadata from Goodreads, it helps standardise my metadata across my Libraries, especially my tags, but everyone's use case is different.
Using Goodreads for downloading metadata is a buyer beware situation.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-10-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Using any of the available metadata sources is a buyer beware situation.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #10
Penny_Dreadful
Connoisseur
Penny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle PW3 (G090G1)
Quote:
Well you'd be a bit crazy to grab metadata from anywhere without running your eye over it to check to see if it works for you. I've been a GRs librarian for almost as long as I've been using the site so if I see missing or obviously incorrect metadata for my book format I can fix that on the site and then the next person gets better metadata. So GR works for me YMMV.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well you'd be a bit crazy to grab metadata from anywhere without running your eye over it to check to see if it works for you. I've been a GRs librarian for almost as long as I've been using the site so if I see missing or obviously incorrect metadata for my book format I can fix that on the site and then the next person gets better metadata. So GR works for me YMMV.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk
I've had issues with some other librarians not putting in the proper fix that I've reported. Mind if I PM you to do the fixes as needed?
Old 07-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #12
ownedbycats
Addict
ownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheeseownedbycats can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura HD
All of my incoming books have a @cleanup tag, which is segregated to its own virtual library. When I'm finished doing everything on it, I remove the @cleanup tag and it sorts into my main library.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #13
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
All of my incoming books have a @cleanup tag, which is segregated to its own virtual library. When I'm finished doing everything on it, I remove the @cleanup tag and it sorts into my main library.
Ooh, interesting idea. I'm guessing there's a way to have the @cleanup tag automatically applied to all incoming books, yes?
Old 07-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #14
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
i use a composed set of icons to indicate what's done/not-done, they are attached to an int custom column.
What's "int"?
Old 07-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #15
droopy
Guru

Quote:
I'm confused though; you mentioned "column", but then it's a hidden column. If it's hidden, how will you know which books need "download metadata" done on them?
Quote:
Is Goodreads better than amazon? What makes it better than the other options?

Last edited by droopy; 07-10-2020 at 02:38 PM.