Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Old home screen or new?
Old home screen 27 40.91%
New home screen 21 31.82%
No preference 7 10.61%
What's a home screen? 11 16.67%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
It's 2020. Does anyone still miss the old, tiled homescreen?

So I think the 4.20.x software is great. There's enough features and improvements that in my opinion, anyone with a Kobo should be using it.

But as I was browsing around I saw some images of the old, tiled Kobo home screen and realized I do miss it. Am I the only one?

Here's a couple of screenshots comparing the old and new home screens. The images may be too small to be useful, but I wanted to make sure they fit the guidelines.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Being able to pin things would be nice (e.g., free idea: star some stuff, starred content has priority), but I certainly don't miss the metro-inspired uneven layout .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would welcome a new version of the tiled home screen. I'm assuming Kobo would see it as a step backwards, so I don't expect it.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Being able to pin things would be nice (e.g., free idea: star some stuff, starred content has priority), but I certainly don't miss the metro-inspired uneven layout .
I find the books in the top row all being displayed at the same size boring. Maybe they could display your most recently opened book at a larger size and display the rest smaller.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
koboy
Guru
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So I think the 4.20.x software is great. There's enough features and improvements that in my opinion, anyone with a Kobo should be using it.

But as I was browsing around I saw some images of the old, tiled Kobo home screen and realized I do miss it. Am I the only one?

Here's a couple of screenshots comparing the old and new home screens. The images may be too small to be useful, but I wanted to make sure they fit the guidelines.
i don't miss what i still have

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #6
Cedros
Cedros began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD; Kobo Touch; iPad Mini
Now that you mention it, I do miss the old home page. I'm not even sure why, except that the tiled home screen seemed better organized. More intuitive, maybe. However I'm certainly happy enough with the newest update.
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
I voted for What's a home screen. I spend so little time looking at the home screen that, to me, the layout is a matter of indifference.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I like the new screen. I just wish that you could have more than your current four reading books active. At least with patches I’m able to remove the clutter I never wanna see from the new homescreen, the old one would let you dismiss them sure but if an action called them up they were right back on the screen.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I voted for What's a home screen. I spend so little time looking at the home screen that, to me, the layout is a matter of indifference.
While I like the new over the old I agree more with this. I’m in a book far more than I’m looking at the homescreen.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:48 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
I still have the tiles on my Glo; I use that as a book repository and have no reason to update it. I was slow to update my other devices, but in the end, it was too inconvenient not to be able to download my purchases from Kobo and my borrows from OverDrive and not to be able to sync my reading position across my devices.

The tiles were useful; they let me navigate in one click to my most-visited collections, something that can take several clicks now. And, of course, it was trivial to eliminate the junk that was of no interest.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
While I really liked having multiple series pinned to the home screen and books of my choice, Kobo's implementation of the tiled home screen was absolutely horrible. It came across as a childish attempt playing with blocks that failed miserably. If they had stuck to standardized sizes for the tiles, it would have been functional and looked 100x times better than it did with odd-sized tiles scattered everywhere.

So I voted for the new home screen.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:44 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
i don't miss what i still have
Honestly, though I miss the tiles, I really would recommend the newer OS. Kobo has made a bunch of improvements. I noticed a big speed increase on my Aura with the updates. Pulling up collections would temporarily freeze up my Aura. That stopped. And having series and collections separated is nice.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:41 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It's almost definitely pedantic, but, "Old home screen" is a problem to me. Kobo have had at least three layouts for the home screen while I have been using them. The first one I saw was the mosaic of the five most recent books. If I'd just seen the poll, that is the one I would have thought of as "old".

My preference would be the tiled home screen but without the absurd "search bar". But, with the current top icon bar and menus. Probably, as it's been a while since I used the tiled home screen and I don't remember exactly what they menus looked like.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:26 AM   #14
koboy
Guru
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Honestly, though I miss the tiles, I really would recommend the newer OS. Kobo has made a bunch of improvements. I noticed a big speed increase on my Aura with the updates. Pulling up collections would temporarily freeze up my Aura. That stopped. And having series and collections separated is nice.
the choice/option to have multiple collections/book covers on the old tiled homescreen and the ability to dismiss them all if i choose/want to do so far outweighs any of the new features/improvements.

each to their own

edit. the collections taking forever and a day to go into/freezing has nothing to do with preferring the far more user friendly old tiled homescreen and everything to do with that particular firmware. i'm using 3.16.0

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 06-06-2020 at 06:41 AM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #15
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.dmapr holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I picked "what's a home screen?" because I honestly don't remember the old home screen and the only thing I use on the new home screen is the "My Books" link — to the point that I don't know what other information is on it.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote