Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
johnedmiston
johnedmiston began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Formatting one large epub file

I typeset my book in InDesign, and in Indesign I exported to epub (want to publish KDP/Kindle).

Unfortunately I did it as one large 158 page file.

So as an epub it has no chapter breaks etc but is a huge unformatted mess.

I am now trying to edit it in Calibre (which I am new to).

I need to be able to insert "markers" so I can later designate areas using "set semantics" but cannot find out how to insert the content markers in Calibre.

I also need to know what happens if I try using the split file feature at each chapter etc.

Basically, how can I make it look like a proper Kindle book?

Thank you for your ehlp!
johnedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #2
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnedmiston View Post
Unfortunately I did it as one large 158 page file.

So as an epub it has no chapter breaks etc but is a huge unformatted mess.

I also need to know what happens if I try using the split file feature at each chapter etc.

Thank you for your ehlp!
These part of your questions are related. Using the split file feature at each chapter break will give you each chapter in a separate html file, which is probably just what you want. Each file will have the header of the original file, and be complete. Then you can use the TOC editor to make a TOC "from Files".

Quote:
I need to be able to insert "markers" so I can later designate areas using "set semantics" but cannot find out how to insert the content markers in Calibre.
What markers are you wanting to insert? It's just html.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert