Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #1
MeBlue
MeBlue began at the beginning.

Device: Sony TS2
Inconsistent use of The (title_sort)

Hi,

why is it that some titles (title sort) have 'The' put at the end and some don't? Like:

- "The Elder Gods" becomes "Elder Gods, The"

versus

- "The Black Throne" stays "The Black Throne"

There seems to be no pattern to it, and nothing I do changes that, until I manually overrule the title_sort.

Any ideas?
MeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Depends on the book you are adding, if it specifies title sort in it s metadata calibre will use it and not auto-generate the sort value.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2020, 04:44 AM   #3
MeBlue

And it will keep on doing that, even if I edit the metadata by hand. It will always revert to its original value. Is there any way to bypass that?
Old 05-08-2020, 04:46 AM   #4
MeBlue

Is there any way to bypass that? If I edit the metadata it will generate that red border around title_sort. If I edit the book, I can change the title_sort, but that is not reflected in Calibre.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:15 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It certainly doesnt revert after you change it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBlue View Post
Is there any way to bypass that? If I edit the metadata it will generate that red border around title_sort. If I edit the book, I can change the title_sort, but that is not reflected in Calibre.
The red border means that the title sort field isn't in sync with the title field. Pressing the arrow between them will sync the title sort to the title field based on the rules being used. But, it isn't actually wrong to leave then out of sync.

If you change the OPF in the editor, you can come back to the metadata editor and fetch the metadata from the book again. This should get the change to the title_sort that you made. And if you edit the book again before doing this, calibre will update the metadata as it opens the book. There is an option to turn this off. This might be what is happening when you see the change revert.

The other thing is that the rules generating the title sort are language dependent, and can be changed with some tweaks. There is a tweak to set what is considered an article for different languages. If the books language is not English, "The" will probably not be treated as an article.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote