Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
RT Wolf
RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Looking for the right android e-ink tablet
Poke2 or Poke Pro?

Just found out android tablets with e-ink displays are a thing! These may be the answer to my very specific needs (Moon+, Pocket, and some ability to email to me@onenote.com).

It looks like Boox is the brand to go with (vs Likebook or hacking a Nook), so I'm trying to decide between the Poke 2 or Poke Pro. But I have some concerns:

- For the former, I like that it's Android 9 because it'll be relevant for a few more years than the Poke Pro, unless PP gets upgraded to 9. Any word on that?

- The battery seems smaller, but 9 brought in energy efficiency improvements. Not sure if they'll balance out. Thoughts?

- I'm wary of getting a just-released device with no reviews yet. Anyone got their hands on a Poke2 to give info?

- The price difference is ~$50 CAD. I'm not too bothered about paying if it'll do what I need it to, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to get the Poke2 over Poke Pro eg a significant step up. Your take?

- Is goodereader.com a good/reputable seller? One of the videos said they were an official North American distributor, but I didn't find that noted on their or Boox site. Trying to decide whether to order from them (if it ships from States) or from the official Boox store (which includes a case, but will be shipping from China).

Thanks!
RT Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Wolf View Post
Just found out android tablets with e-ink displays are a thing! These may be the answer to my very specific needs (Moon+, Pocket, and some ability to email to me@onenote.com).

It looks like Boox is the brand to go with (vs Likebook or hacking a Nook), so I'm trying to decide between the Poke 2 or Poke Pro. But I have some concerns:

- For the former, I like that it's Android 9 because it'll be relevant for a few more years than the Poke Pro, unless PP gets upgraded to 9. Any word on that?

- The battery seems smaller, but 9 brought in energy efficiency improvements. Not sure if they'll balance out. Thoughts?

- I'm wary of getting a just-released device with no reviews yet. Anyone got their hands on a Poke2 to give info?

- The price difference is ~$50 CAD. I'm not too bothered about paying if it'll do what I need it to, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to get the Poke2 over Poke Pro eg a significant step up. Your take?

- Is goodereader.com a good/reputable seller? One of the videos said they were an official North American distributor, but I didn't find that noted on their or Boox site. Trying to decide whether to order from them (if it ships from States) or from the official Boox store (which includes a case, but will be shipping from China).

Thanks!
downeaster59 had a nova (non-pro) and now has a nova 2. He'll probably comment soon enough.

I have a Nova Pro. It's good.

Re: goodreader, a lot of people will jump on him and say he's a scammer. I can tell you I bought a Poke Pro from/through him. He advertised on ebay (not as goodereader) as being in Canada and said the device was coming from Canada. I can't recall if he explicitly said there were no import taxes to pay, but maybe he did. In any case, in came directly from China from a Chinese seller and I got hit with a ton of import taxes, so I didn't save money. Also there was a problem with the shipping (not his fault) but he didn't inform me in good time (his fault). But I did get the device no problem. Would I use him again? Dunno. Probably. I did get the device and it worked nop.

But ideally I would buy a device from Booxtor in Germany, who has the best reputation.

Booxtor's site:
https://ereader.store/en/

Failing that, I might go directly to Onyx in order to get a full warranty. But I know plenty of people here order via aliexpress without problem.

My concern is if I got a lemon. What then? I kind of prefer to get used because then I get it cheaper and I know it works.

From what I've heard, the Nova 2 has no early faults, but speak to downeaster.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 04-23-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2020, 02:12 PM   #3
RT Wolf
RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
snip
Thanks! Very helpful to know.

I too prefer to buy used, but didn't really find anything used on Kijiji here in Toronto or even ebay shipping to Canada.

If someone's selling a Poke Pro or similar, lemme know! I just want to read, so don't need a device with stylus support.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Likebook has only 7.8 or 10.3 inch devices, for the time being still with Android 6 - Android 8 has been promised, but when it will come is not yet known
Quote:
This is not known - until now none of the devices got an Android update.
Quote:
I donot know
Quote:
The device was presented in a press conference in China yesterday
Quote:
I have the Poke Pro and yesterday ordered the Poke2 from Aliexpress - it was worth it to me
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
RT Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I have the Poke Pro and yesterday ordered the Poke2 from Aliexpress - it was worth it to me
Thanks for the super-helpful info!

As an existing Poke Pro user, what stood out as worth the upgrade?
Advert
Old 04-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
downeaster59 had a nova (non-pro) and now has a nova 2. He'll probably comment soon enough.
Isn't the OP asking about a Poke and not a Nova? : )
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As an existing Poke Pro user, what stood out as worth the upgrade?
Weight, size, Android 9, not recessed but flat screen without frame, USB OTG.
It is more portable than the Poke Pro and certainly easier to handle
Old 04-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #8
RT Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Weight, size, Android 9, not recessed but flat screen without frame, USB OTG.
It is more portable than the Poke Pro and certainly easier to handle
Makes sense! I figure $50 isn't a whole lot over the 3-5 years I might have this thing. (I take care of my gear and run it into the ground lol)

I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks for some reviews to pop up, but will likely grab the Poke2 + case bundle from the boox store. aliexpress is showing a $75 CAD delivery fee!

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Isn't the OP asking about a Poke and not a Nova? : )
Ah, my bad. I have a Poke Pro. It's a good device. My partner stole it from me. Yes, I recommend it. It had an annoying bug for a long time, but Onyx fixed it. Credit to Onyx for supporting their devices. The new Poke 2 looks nice. It has a flush screen. I don't think the flush screen will be any less clear than the bevel.

FWIW I think the Nook Glowlight 3 has a better screen (than anything). But the hardware is slow and cranky. I rooted it and installed Koreader. But for reading small epubs it is still my go to device.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 04-23-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
aliexpress is showing a $75 CAD delivery fee!
To Austria it costs app US$10
Old 04-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard

@RT Wolf. I bought a Poke Pro when it came out. It had a bug with the long press that made it arduous to look up words in the dictionary. I asked Onyx to fix this several times.

After this experience, I decided I would not purchase a device until it was well reviewed.

To their credit, Onyx did eventually fix the bug. I do have faith in Onyx and will continue to purchase their devices which I very happy with. However, I remain reluctant to be an early adopter of any e-reader now. Saying that, I note that most early adopters of Onyx devices seem perfectly happy. The Poke 1 bug (now fixed) seems to be a aberration. Generally Onyx devices seem to be good even on first release. They have a lot of experience releasing new devices.

If it were me, I would probably get the Poke 2, unless the Poke 1 (Pro) were significantly cheaper. You might see some used ones being sold with the release of the Poke 2. However, I have not seen any used Pokes for sale ever, unlike the Nova and Note.

If you decide to get a Poke 1, I suggest the Pro, not the non-pro. The extra storage is worth it, and it's nice to have a fast processor.

I will also add the Poke Pro screen and orange light are very nice. I will also add, do not expect the battery life to be like a Kindle. It is much shorter.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 04-24-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #12
RT Wolf

Thanks Pajamaman!

I'll keep an eye out for used any brand/model under ~$300 CAD, but with a $50 CAD difference between PP and P2, I'd rather just get the newer thing that'll "last" longer.

Any particular place for used things other than the flea market forum here? Didn't find any on kijiji, ebay, or craigslist.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:07 PM   #13
Pajamaman
Wizard

There are pokes on ebay usa, for sure. About $200 USD, but they'll be import charges. I think I'd get the poke 2.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #14
RT Wolf

Anyone who understands whichever Chinese language this is want to do a little translation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K2kyJljh-4
Old 05-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #15
RT Wolf

While waiting for the first wave of Poke 2 reviews come out, Poke Pro has sold out/taken down from all sellers I was able to find, so my decision was made for me. I ordered the Poke 2 from Onyx. Hopefully the upcoming colour edition won't make it completely obsolete lol

Thanks for your advice, all!