Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #1
RotAnal
Connoisseur
RotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
How to move alphabetically in the field-sorted Calibre book list

Dear Sirs,
sorry for my trivial question, but I was able to find answers neither in the Help nor through the search of this Forum Section.
In a thousands-based, field-sorted book list would be highly desirable to move among records in alphabetical order, like in other databases. When I type numbers everything is fine, but whenever I type letters (upper- or lowercase, as well as combinations with CTRL|SHIFT|ALT), they only works possibly as shortcuts and nothing else happens.
However if I remember well, this technique may have worked in older releases of Calibre.
Where am I wrong?
Thanks for the attention
RotAnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not a direct answer because shortcuts get in the way,

Tag Browser, Partitioned
Preferences: Look & Feel: Tag Browser (a tab): Set Partition : By First Letter
Collapse when more than: <lower collapses sooner> 15

The next is when you want to prevent a column from having a collapse in Tags
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
RotAnal
Connoisseur
RotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Dear Duck,
thanks for your answer, but I am not sure I have understood what you suggested, in any case it did not work for me. Anyway, I have observed that alphabetic jump in the current release of Calibre only works for letters B,H,N,L,R,X,Y,Z, perhaps because the others are busy as shortcuts. But I have also noticed that the jump is irrespective of the possibly truncation of the national articles. In other words, "L" jumps for instance to Tommaso Campanella's "La città del sole", though the book is obviously sorted under C (language=italian).
RotAnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotAnal View Post
Dear Duck,
thanks for your answer, but I am not sure I have understood what you suggested, in any case it did not work for me. Anyway, I have observed that alphabetic jump in the current release of Calibre only works for letters B,H,N,L,R,X,Y,Z, perhaps because the others are busy as shortcuts. But I have also noticed that the jump is irrespective of the possibly truncation of the national articles. In other words, "L" jumps for instance to Tommaso Campanella's "La città del sole", though the book is obviously sorted under C (language=italian).
AFAIK calibre has always been that way - i.e. single letter shortcuts prevent those letters being used to jump in the book list, and the other letters operate on the displayed title rather than the sort title.

You can fix the first by changing the shortcuts, the JobSpy plugin has a tool to create a CSV of your shortcuts which makes them easy to find.

And maybe there could be some settings - a) a checkbox to enable/disable book list jumping (I would disable it), b) radio buttons to select which column to use for single letter jumps - e.g. title or title_sort.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote