Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
RhD97
Connoisseur
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
How can I check my storage in my Amazon Kindle Cloud?

I'm trying to find where in the device management area on Amazon's website I can see how much of my storage capacity I have used so far. I have downloaded books but I also have MOBI files I've sent to the cloud. I would like to know how much space left I have in it.
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've never seen anywhere to check space used. You can see how many DOCS are in your storage at Content and Devices, by sorting to see only the DOCS. I've got over 300 there, but see no mention of size or space used.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhD97 View Post
I'm trying to find where in the device management area on Amazon's website I can see how much of my storage capacity I have used so far. I have downloaded books but I also have MOBI files I've sent to the cloud. I would like to know how much space left I have in it.
As far as I know, there isn't a limit to how much storage space you have for Kindle documents. I have 503 docs up there currently.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:30 AM   #4
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
As far as I know, there isn't a limit to how much storage space you have for Kindle documents. I have 503 docs up there currently.

Shari
Do you know how much space those 503 documents takes up? I'm planning to put my whole library there some time in the future. It's about 4 point something gigs.

I've read somewhere there's a 3gb limit, but they didn't provide any proof.

It'd be kinda a pain if I upload my documents/books and I suddenly get cut off. lol

So right now all I'm sending are my TBR and favs.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:49 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I have 4,050 DOCs & 2,500 ebooks on my amazon account that share the Cloud.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2020, 02:29 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I have 4,050 DOCs & 2,500 ebooks on my amazon account that share the Cloud.
but all should beware than amazon can restrict or remove this option at any time with little or no warning

they have form for that, e.g. all of peoples uploaded music got deleted a while back when A shuttered the option to add your own music to their cloud

and they have messed with how kindle cloud works, it used to appear within amazon drive and accessible via that, now it isn't

i would not store anything valuable or important in their cloud without also having a local backup ( that kinda defeats the point of the cloud option )
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:34 AM   #7
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i would not store anything valuable or important in their cloud without also having a local backup ( that kinda defeats the point of the cloud option )
I still have my library on calibre. I just like Amazon's cloud service for syncing reading positions between my kindle and other devices.

I hope they don't change anything. It's the only thing stopping me from going to another brand when I finally have the money for an upgrade.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:47 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

whisper sync is unlikely to go away- that's a USP for Kindle, and is probably only a few bytes per book for Amazon to store
but the whole "send personal documents" thing is maybe less core?

Also, in another recent thread there's mention that Kindles can only handle so many personal docs ON DEVICE before they go problematic
Old 03-27-2020, 02:59 AM   #9
hleo12
Guru

My library are all non-Amazon books, so I can only take advantage of whispersync via side loading books through the personal documents thingy. I find it too useful specially if, for some reason, I can't bring my kindle with me, I can just open the app.

It's the best of both worlds for me.

I can sideload books the normal way through Calibre, but without whispersync I can just buy a cheaper e-ink device with micro sd support.

Here's to hoping Amazon doesn't change personal document.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
but all should beware than amazon can restrict or remove this option at any time with little or no warning

they have form for that, e.g. all of peoples uploaded music got deleted a while back when A shuttered the option to add your own music to their cloud

and they have messed with how kindle cloud works, it used to appear within amazon drive and accessible via that, now it isn't

I use DOCs to Del the ebooks to my PW4 Fire 10" & old third gen 7" Since NONE are recognized by my PC any more. When these devices crash I wont be replacing them ... At least Not with Amazon.

Backups for ebooks are my PC & Flash Drive.

YES I know I lost my Music when Amazon TOOK them back after years of collecting them as Freebies for Christmas. So I no longer have Christmas Music
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

With regards to the part that I bolded above, I can promise you that they did *not* delete music that people had already uploaded. I uploaded quite a bit of music that is not available to buy from anywhere, let alone from Amazon, and it is still stored on Amazon, and available for me to listen to from the Amazon Music App on my phone or on the computer.

Shari
Old 04-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
With regards to the part that I bolded above, I can promise you that they did *not* delete music that people had already uploaded. I uploaded quite a bit of music that is not available to buy from anywhere, let alone from Amazon, and it is still stored on Amazon, and available for me to listen to from the Amazon Music App on my phone or on the computer.

Shari
Sorry, don't believe you. See below.
they deleted everything, a couple of years ago, and shuttered the upload service

Maybe you are talking about a different area. or maybe you just never noticed?
sure you can store any file format like in your amazon cloud allocation, but it will not be seen by the amazon music player.... all that you can see now are the auto rips of your purchased CDs, if bought from amazon...

there was a facility to add your own tracks ( free) to your amazon music. 250 tracks for free, far more via a paid subscription. They shut the whole thing down. we were given x days to download our previously uploaded tracks or they would vanish forever
here is a link for the non believers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...XLPHTT5EWTUL4M
Uploading or importing your personal music to Amazon Music is no longer available.

and another link: looks like there may have been a temp. appeal window, now closed. perhaps you used that ?
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...tinued-3441463
Amazon has announced that it’s shutting down its Music Storage service, which allows customers to store up to 250 songs in a cloud library, on April 30 – but that’s not to mean you won’t be able to access your collection.

The move is an extension of Amazon’s decision to prohibit customers from uploading new tracks to Music Storage, which came into effect in December. Users will have up until January to export all of their music to a different platform.

In the meantime, customers can instruct the firm to preserve their library until January by diving into Music Settings, then tapping Keep my Songs. They’ll need to do so before April 30, though, or their entire collection will be removed.

Last edited by stumped; 04-06-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #13
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry, don't believe you. See below.
they deleted everything, a couple of years ago, and shuttered the upload service

Maybe you are talking about a different area. or maybe you just never noticed?
sure you can store any file format like in your amazon cloud allocation, but it will not be seen by the amazon music player.... all that you can see now are the auto rips of your purchased CDs, if bought from amazon...

there was a facility to add your own tracks ( free) to your amazon music. 250 tracks for free, far more via a paid subscription. They shut the whole thing down. we were given x days to download our previously uploaded tracks or they would vanish forever
here is a link for the non believers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...XLPHTT5EWTUL4M
Uploading or importing your personal music to Amazon Music is no longer available.

and another link: looks like there may have been a temp. appeal window, now closed. perhaps you used that ?
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...tinued-3441463
Amazon has announced that it’s shutting down its Music Storage service, which allows customers to store up to 250 songs in a cloud library, on April 30 – but that’s not to mean you won’t be able to access your collection.

The move is an extension of Amazon’s decision to prohibit customers from uploading new tracks to Music Storage, which came into effect in December. Users will have up until January to export all of their music to a different platform.

In the meantime, customers can instruct the firm to preserve their library until January by diving into Music Settings, then tapping Keep my Songs. They’ll need to do so before April 30, though, or their entire collection will be removed.
Nope. I'm talking about music that was uploaded using the Amazon Music app many years ago. The particular songs I did a search on this morning is one that was recorded from the soundboard of a live show of a local band in the 80s. I'm one hundred percent certain that the songs are not available for sale on Amazon.com, yet it is available for me to play when I am logged in to music.amazon.com, because I uploaded it years ago. Note that I'm not saying that I can upload new music, but the music that I uploaded in the past is absolutely still there.

I'm not sure how I happened to be able to keep my previously uploaded music, just that it is definitely still there. I also don't appreciate you calling me a liar.

Shari
Old 04-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #14
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Nope. I'm talking about music that was uploaded using the Amazon Music app many years ago. The particular songs I did a search on this morning is one that was recorded from the soundboard of a live show of a local band in the 80s. I'm one hundred percent certain that the songs are not available for sale on Amazon.com, yet it is available for me to play when I am logged in to music.amazon.com, because I uploaded it years ago. Note that I'm not saying that I can upload new music, but the music that I uploaded in the past is absolutely still there.

I'm not sure how I happened to be able to keep my previously uploaded music, just that it is definitely still there. I also don't appreciate you calling me a liar.

Shari
Here is a screenshot of one of the songs that I'm talking about, showing in the Amazon Music player at music.amazon.com. There is no way to play local music from that, so I know that it is not pulling the song from my hard drive.

Feel free to apologize for calling me a liar now.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-06.png
Views:	133
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	178151  
Old 04-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #15
stumped
Wizard

ok - all my uploads were deleted. here's a theory...
with most uploads, amazon actually match the MP3 metadata to their catalogue, discard what you uploaded, and keep their version instead ( which they can then later delete)
with your stuff not being in their catalogue they can't do that. And you did say " songs that are not available for sale at amazon..) so I missed that, sorry. I guess those have survived. but still - amazon do have form for deleting stuff, as I claimed originally - just not your own recordings