Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
bookandtea
Mint Magic
bookandtea began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Oasis
Can Calibre see/keep my Kobo tags/Collections?

I use Calibre on a MacBook Air, and really love (and support) the app.

I have a couple different ereaders but my favorite is my Kobo Forma N782 (which I just found out has been discontinued and they no longer support? I just bought that for $289 18 months ago).

It hooks up to Calibre just fine, which is nice, but if I make a "Collection" on the Kobo, it doesn't come through to Calibre. Similarly, if I try to tag the books on the device from inside Calibre, and then unplug the Kobo, the books don't show the tags when I turn the unit back on.

Is there any way to keep tags on your books in place when you move them to an ereader?

Thanks!
bookandtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
sounds like you need the Kobo plugins. David should be by shortly to let you know which one is best for you.

But in the mean time, check them both out in the plugins sub-forum...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2020, 10:40 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookandtea View Post
I have a couple different ereaders but my favorite is my Kobo Forma N782 (which I just found out has been discontinued and they no longer support? I just bought that for $289 18 months ago).
Where do you get that from? The Forma is still showing on the Kobo website. I wouldn't be that surprised if an update or replacement was announced next month, but, so far I haven't heard anything.

As to support, Kobo are still updating the firmware for the Touch that was first released in 2011. And I know for a fact that Kobo are still updating the firmware for the Forma.
Quote:
It hooks up to Calibre just fine, which is nice, but if I make a "Collection" on the Kobo, it doesn't come through to Calibre. Similarly, if I try to tag the books on the device from inside Calibre, and then unplug the Kobo, the books don't show the tags when I turn the unit back on.

Is there any way to keep tags on your books in place when you move them to an ereader?
The KoboTouch driver, or the KoboTouchExtended driver, can maintain the collections on Kobo ereaders whenever you connect them. But, it is one-way only. If the collection management is configured, it will override any collection management done on the device for books in the calibre library. It sounds like you have configured the collection management, but, probably not in the way you really want to. For information on how to do this, see https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections.

If you don't have collection management turned on and the collections are disappearing, it probably means the database on the device is corrupted. If that is the case, the device cannot write changes made to the database properly, and whenever it needs to reread the database, it reads old data. But, if this is the case, I would expect to see an error when calibre reads the database. You can do a thorough check of the database with one of the functions in my Kobo Utilities plugin.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:10 PM   #4
bookandtea
Mint Magic

Thanks for the tips, I'll check that page.

The Forma no longer being manufactured or supported is here:

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019690433
Old 02-21-2020, 11:22 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookandtea View Post
Thanks for the tips, I'll check that page.

The Forma no longer being manufactured or supported is here:

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019690433
I think you are reading that page wrong
The bottom list are the ones NOT affected by the end of support
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2020, 02:08 AM   #6
bookandtea
Mint Magic

Ah, thank you, yes! I had skimmed the page and read it wrong.