Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
poxi1023
poxi1023 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Find replace history not saved between sessions

Hi, all,
I am using Sigil on Linux, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
Since version 0.9.18 I am compiling Sigil by myself, running all right, almost without problems. Now I compiled and installed v. 1.1.0.
The one problem I encountered is with "Find-Replace" - Sigil used to show previous searches, but not anymore. When I start Sigil, no previous searches are there in the drop down input field. That happens in the three last versions, 0.9.18, 1.0.0 and 1.1.0.
Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil find replace.png
Views:	27
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	176993  
poxi1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
Hmmm....seems to work ok on Windows10.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-07 121213.png
Views:	18
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	176994  
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The code is still there and has not been touched in a long time. These are stored in the sigil.ini file under "find_replace" settings group and look for "find_strings" and "replace_strings" settings.

The sigil.ini is a pure text file. So examine it to see if those entries are missing. And make sure you have read and write permissions on that file.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-07-2020 at 02:46 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'll check on my Arch machine later on tonight, but I don't think I've noticed any issues in that regard. It's possible you're compiling against a buggy Qt5 version, but I've not heard of any bugs that sound like that.

It's possible, I guess, that you have some corruption in your Sigil.ini file. You could try backing it up, moving it, and seeing if it works with a brand-new generated ini file. If it works, copy stuff back from the old one a little bit at a time so you can find where the corruption might be. Your search strings might contain some corrupt data from back when we tried the failed experiment with utf-8 settings files.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-07-2020 at 02:04 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #5
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxi1023 View Post
I am using Sigil on Linux, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
Since version 0.9.18 I am compiling Sigil by myself, running all right, almost without problems.
I've just built Sigil from source on my Arch Linux machine, and the find/replace history works just fine.

As KevinH & DiapDealer have already mentioned, most likely your sigil.ini file is corrupted. The easiest way to fix this is to simply rename/delete your current sigil.ini file.

Last edited by Doitsu; 02-07-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
poxi1023

Thanks for the replies!
I had tried working with a new sigil.ini, with the same result.
Now I erased all .ini files, to start Sigil from scratch. Still the same problem. sigil.ini gets generated all right, saves other stuff (see attached: lastfolderopen and recentfiles), but not the searches. When I restart Sigil, again find replace is empty.

BTW, my Qt5 version is 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu2.4
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sigil.ini.new.png
Views:	18
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	176996  

Last edited by poxi1023; 02-07-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's certainly weird. It's not saving ANY F&R settings (other than whether F&R is open or not).

Should be stuff like:
Quote:
look_where=0
search_direction=0
regexoptiondotall=false
regexoptionminimalmatch=false
regexoptionautotokenise=false
optionwrap=true
Old 02-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm wondering if there's an ifdef based on Qt's version that's somehow causing problems with writing the settings. Qt5.9.5 is just as about as old a version of Qt that the latest versions of Sigil will work with, but most of the compile time Qt version checks are QtWebEngine related. For the other aspects of Sigil, 5.9.5 should work fine.

Does it build up a search/replace history as long as Sigil stays open?

I think I might still have an 18.04 VM set up. I'll see if I can do some testing over the weekend.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-07-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think this means that the FindReplace Destructor is not being called for some reason by this version of Qt.

Please try the following for me:

1. edit Sigil/src/MailUI/FindReplace.cpp
2. copy line 80 (call to WriteSettings)
3. paste it just before line 124(just before QWidget::close().

Then run make again and test things.

If that helps, then the FindReplace destructor call is never getting evoked or is invoked too late for some reason.

Please let us know if that helps...
Old 02-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
KevinH
Wizard

BTW, if that helps, we can make that move for all platforms since it is safer to do a call to WriteSettings() in close() instead of the destructor in general.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #11
poxi1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I think this means that the FindReplace Destructor is not being called for some reason by this version of Qt.

Please try the following for me:

1. edit Sigil/src/MailUI/FindReplace.cpp
2. copy line 80 (call to WriteSettings)
3. paste it just before line 124(just before QWidget::close().

Then run make again and test things.

If that helps, then the FindReplace destructor call is never getting evoked or is invoked too late for some reason.

Please let us know if that helps...
I did so, reinstalled with the new FindReplace.cpp, no change in Sigil behaviour ...

Quote:
Does it build up a search/replace history as long as Sigil stays open?
Yes, it does.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sigil find replace 2.png
Views:	13
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	177002  
Old 02-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #12
KevinH
Wizard

What happens if you manually close the Find and Replace window after trying some searches before closing Sigil? After the manual close writesetting should tell SettingsStore to update itself. Please check the sigil.ini file before quitting out of Sigil to see if anything is being written.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #13
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Hi, I use the same Ubuntu version as poxi1023, but linked against qt 5.14.0 and I cannot reproduce the issue.

sigil.ini contains [find_replace] category with relevant find_strings based on my usage. New searchs will be added when the program is closed.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm able to duplicate this issue (sort of) with Qt5.9.5 on an old Mint 19 VM. I say sort of, because I have the same lack of F&R settings being written to disk, but I'm also getting a segfault whenever Sigil closes (though I can't make out any obvious adverse effects from the segfault).

Will do some testing.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #15
KevinH
Wizard

If it segfaults before the F&R destructor is called that could prevent any call to WriteSettings().

Does moving WriteSettings in FindReplace.cpp from the destructor (line 80) to right before line 124 in close() help in your set-up?

KevinH