Notices

Old 01-28-2020, 04:53 AM   #1
Chellebnz
Reader
Chellebnz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Glo HD, iPad Mini 4, Kobo Mini, iPhone SE
Can’t sign in to overdrive

Hi all,

I’ve been using overdrive on my kobo Clara for many months with zero problem.

Today my wifi weirdly reset itself and I had to sign into the wifi network again.

It wasn’t until later tonight while searching for a book that I discovered I’m no longer signed into overdrive.

So I try to sign in with my library card number and pin and it just keeps looping back to the sign in page.

I’m stumped... I checked my pin and login number were correct by signing into overdrive via my library’s website on my iPad and laptop and that worked fine so there seems to be no issue with the server being down or my pin/number being incorrect.

Please help!
Chellebnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I had a login problem a few months ago (using Overdrive on my phone) that continued over a whole weekend. Someone I know was having the same problem, contacted the library and found out it was a server issue. Once the library got things fixed on their end I was able to log in again.

So you might want to contact your library and find out if they are having problems.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
Chellebnz
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I had a login problem a few months ago (using Overdrive on my phone) that continued over a whole weekend. Someone I know was having the same problem, contacted the library and found out it was a server issue. Once the library got things fixed on their end I was able to log in again.

So you might want to contact your library and find out if they are having problems.
Hi there, thank you for your reply.
I’m not sure that’s the issue as I was able to sign in no problem via my laptop and iPad.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #4
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Is there a way to clear cache/cookies in the Overdrive part? That might help. I have issues with mine because I have Overdrive accounts from two different libraries and my accounts get muddled on the Kobo sometimes.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:20 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrixx View Post
Is there a way to clear cache/cookies in the Overdrive part? That might help. I have issues with mine because I have Overdrive accounts from two different libraries and my accounts get muddled on the Kobo sometimes.
sign out, sign back in to the kobo account might do that. Its a recommended fix for some other issues and will not do any damage, so worth a try ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2020, 06:00 AM   #6
Chellebnz
Reader

Thank you all for your replies. I tried all of your suggestions to no avail.

In the end I reset to factory settings and that seems to have fixed it.
A bit of a faff having to reload everything and set it all up again but at least it’s working as it should.

I just wish I knew what had caused the issue in the first place so I can try to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellebnz View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I tried all of your suggestions to no avail.

In the end I reset to factory settings and that seems to have fixed it.
A bit of a faff having to reload everything and set it all up again but at least it’s working as it should.

I just wish I knew what had caused the issue in the first place so I can try to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
That is every computer user's nightmare: fixing something but not knowing why it broke in the first place. Glad you got things up and running again.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:00 AM   #8
Chellebnz
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
That is every computer user's nightmare: fixing something but not knowing why it broke in the first place. Glad you got things up and running again.
Thanks Cootey! 😊 Haha yep so true! The bane of modern technology! 🤓
Old 02-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
And tech supports go to solution: cycle power, reboot, factory reset, ... and ignore the problem.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #10
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
sign out, sign back in to the kobo account might do that. Its a recommended fix for some other issues and will not do any damage, so worth a try ?
WARNING

If you sign out of Kobo, the books you loaded onto Kobo yourself (side-loaded books) will 'fall out' of any collections you put them into.

You will have a bunch of collections with zero books in them, except those you bought from Kobo (and presumably, library books).

You will also lose all "reading progress, highlights, or notes since your last sync"

I know this because I followed this advice for this very problem and that was the result, losing me many hours of work painstakingly putting books into collections for both priority and topic.

Obviously if you don't use Collections much (or manage them with Calibre?) this might not matter as much to you.

Last edited by LivresInOz; 09-19-2021 at 03:15 PM.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #11
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
You could warn them that sideloaded content will need to be put back in the collections. Since that would be accurate.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #12
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

MGlitch, I have now clarified that (now that I have more specific info) but I will also add:

You have posted critical responses now to several posts I've put on here, in a few different threads.

It's like you're 'following' me around on the forum looking for things to criticise and correct.

AFAIK you've also had a post or posts in which you criticised me deleted.
('Attacked' would be a better word, because you were quite harsh and patronising in your comments. Which is why I responded)

This is starting to look like harassment man.

Please consider letting it go.
I am quite happy to do so.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
MGlitch, I have now clarified that (now that I have more specific info) but I will also add:

You have posted critical responses now to several posts I've put on here, in a few different threads.

It's like you're 'following' me around on the forum looking for things to criticise and correct.

AFAIK you've also had a post or posts in which you criticised me deleted.
('Attacked' would be a better word, because you were quite harsh and patronising in your comments. Which is why I responded)

This is starting to look like harassment man.

Please consider letting it go.
I am quite happy to do so.
I look at posts with new replies. Your reply above was incorrect at the time, and could lead to misinformation. I’m sure it was an innocent mistake on your part as many people had already told you the correct information, and surely you wouldn’t just want to besmirch Kobo in order to rile people up.

As to your other claims I’ll leave you with an old adage- those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:08 PM   #14
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Yep, it was def not an intention to besmirch Kobo.
I expect I wrote that before I had understood the info about WHAT classes of books lost their connection to collections.

(I still don't know if Overdrive-borrowed books retain their connection, or OPDS-got books do.)

I would consider making a generalisation or giving incorrect or incomplete information just to bring another into disrepute quite unethical, and would not do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
David I prefer the old joke about people who live in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones ! :P

Last edited by LivresInOz; 09-19-2021 at 04:14 PM.