Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2020, 11:22 PM   #1
lee.hauser
lee.hauser began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Whispersync for voice on Kindle PW 4 (10th Gen)

I trying to sync a book between reading and listening on my Paperwhite 4 (10th Gen). On my iPhone the ability to switch between reading and listening on this book is seamless from the Kindle app. On the Paperwhite, I can have the book, and I can have the audiobook, and they don't talk to each other at all. For all my other dual-format books I can switch seamlessly on the Kindle.

Should I just remove both versions of the book from the device and download again?

(The book is William Gibson's "The Peripheral," for those who might be curious).
lee.hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:23 AM   #2
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
You don't describe what you mean by seamless switching or "they don't talk to each other". You did say that other books are "seamless" on your Kindle and it's apparently a problem with just one book. Try downloading that book again to see if the problem was a corrupt download. If the problem persists then the anomalous book may simply be formatted differently than the other books that you have.

If you were referring to Amazon's immersive reading where you can listen to a book and a highlight will follow along in the printed text. That feature is not supported on the PW4.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
lee.hauser

By “seamless” I meant being in the book, touching the headphones icon to switch to listening at the same location, and vice-versa, instead of having to leave the reader to start up the Audible app. And, of course, talking to each other means the audiobook and ebook sharing their location data so I can pick up wheee I left off in either one.

I’ll try deleting and downloading, thanks.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:19 PM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
You might check to see if the book has been updated (go to Amazon website and look under your Content and Devices). If so, make sure you have the updated version downloaded to your Kindle.

If that's not the problem, contact Audible. They will tell you to check if the book has been updated per above. Insist that you've already checked that.

When this has happened to me and I've already checked for an updated ebook, they do some sort of manual update on their end which fixes my problem. Hopefully the same will happen for you

(I've asked them what they do on their end and is there anything I can do on my end to fix it myself, and they say no, sometimes they need to do whatever they do on their end.)
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.hauser View Post
By “seamless” I meant being in the book, touching the headphones icon to switch to listening at the same location, and vice-versa, instead of having to leave the reader to start up the Audible app. And, of course, talking to each other means the audiobook and ebook sharing their location data so I can pick up wheee I left off in either one.

I’ll try deleting and downloading, thanks.
It sounds like you want ‘Immersion Reading’. Kindle does not support that. You can read or you can listen but not both at the same time as you can with kindle for iOS Android or Fire.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Amazon has made a mess of their help pages, but this is what it says there:

Audible Audiobooks (with Whispersync for Voice)
If you've linked your Audible and Amazon accounts, and you own both the Audible audiobook and Kindle version of a title, Whispersync for Voice maintains your last page read between both versions. This allows you to switch between reading and listening to a title without losing your place. You cannot disable Whispersync for Voice.

It is supposed to work, according to this. This isn't the same as immersion reading.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Amazon has made a mess of their help pages, but this is what it says there:

Audible Audiobooks (with Whispersync for Voice)
If you've linked your Audible and Amazon accounts, and you own both the Audible audiobook and Kindle version of a title, Whispersync for Voice maintains your last page read between both versions. This allows you to switch between reading and listening to a title without losing your place. You cannot disable Whispersync for Voice.

It is supposed to work, according to this. This isn't the same as immersion reading.
And the Kindle supports Whispersync for Voice. But not ‘immersion reading’. Wish it did!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
lee.hauser

Thanks, everyone. I ended up resetting the Kindle, and now it works as intended. I never expected (and have never used) immersive reading. I just wanted to be able to select between reading and listening while keeping my place in the book, as I can on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk